Wiki Posts
Search

JAL - Hot Cabin

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by NE flier
Can anyone provide advice to this ignorant gaijin on how to politely but firmly follow up if the first request is refused?
You probably won't get an outright refusal. It's more likely to be something like "We'll do our best" and you find nothing has been done rather than a refusal.

In this case, leave it for 10 min, then something like "Excuse me, I'm still finding it extremely hot and it is making me feel a little light-headed and unwell as I do not handle heat at all well. Could I ask you to lower the temperature a little more please?" may do the trick.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:24 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
You probably won't get an outright refusal. It's more likely to be something like "We'll do our best" and you find nothing has been done rather than a refusal.

In this case, leave it for 10 min, then something like "Excuse me, I'm still finding it extremely hot and it is making me feel a little light-headed and unwell as I do not handle heat at all well. Could I ask you to lower the temperature a little more please?" may do the trick.
Or start stripping. That would get the CA attention LOL
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Fainting usually gets attention to your plight. I prefer showing signs of heatstroke myself.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by LAXative
Fainting usually gets attention to your plight. I prefer showing signs of heatstroke myself.
Followed by a PA announcement of medical situation and request for medical assistance There was a medical emergency on my flight yesterday, I hope that's not caused by the cool cabin. I saw oxygen tank in the Y galley when I walked by.

And with JAL SKY SUITE, they may not notice you were fainted for a while so you have to pretend really hard and make a scene lol
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I must say, that I did not find any temp issues on our flight LAX-NRT, it was just fine

And I was thinking of this thread too but it was fine
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:06 pm

I've flown three long-haul flights on JAL and never noticed the cabin as warmer than any other airline.

Does class of service make a difference (i.e. front or back of the plane is warmer/cooler than the other)?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:01 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
I just flew SFO-HND-BKK on JL, both sitting near the back of the Y cabin.
The first flight (787) was very warm - bearable for the most part but much warmer than any flight that I remember on an American or European carrier. If it were any hotter I would probably ask the FAs to turn it down.
The second flight (767) was comfortable, although I still didn't use my blanket at all.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
I think it would be helpful if those of us giving our opinions on the cabin temps shared our nationalities, and backgrounds too. Different cultures, and nationalities have different definitions of "acceptable" temperatures.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: JL JGC Diamond, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
I think it would be helpful if those of us giving our opinions on the cabin temps shared our nationalities, and backgrounds too. Different cultures, and nationalities have different definitions of "acceptable" temperatures.
IMHO, and if I am to mention scientific references here, a person's cold tolerance would not be based on culture/nationality but more so on each individual's body fat as studies have shown that it is a major deterrent to heat loss. Also there's the surface area to mass ratio that needs to be considered. My two cents.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by musashino22
IMHO, and if I am to mention scientific references here, a person's cold tolerance would not be based on culture/nationality but more so on each individual's body fat as studies have shown that it is a major deterrent to heat loss. Also there's the surface area to mass ratio that needs to be considered. My two cents.
Or simply give the temperature lol
Old Sep 8, 2014, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak
Or simply give the temperature lol
Am I going to have to bring along an IR temp reader from now on?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by LAXative
Am I going to have to bring along an IR temp reader from now on?
That's not accurate enough. You need a CASIO watch suggested by someone else lol

Kidding aside, the warmer the cabin the better for us. Hope all partner members will give up redeeming our premium cabins lol
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by musashino22
In my experience, a person's cultural environment is a far stronger determinant of his (apparent) cold tolerance than his body fat percentage. You would think it would be the opposite, I know, but I've observed that people in some cultures I regularly visit (I'm thinking Southeast Asia and Europe) think nothing of bundling up in coats and sweaters even in 20-degree (Celsius) weather, regardless of whether they're short, tall, fat, or slim. In SEA, 20C is considered "cold"; in Europe, the winter clothes come out in the wintertime regardless of the temperature. It's strange to me, but it's just what they are used to.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 6:53 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by mikew99
In my experience, a person's cultural environment is a far stronger determinant of his (apparent) cold tolerance than his body fat percentage. You would think it would be the opposite, I know, but I've observed that people in some cultures I regularly visit (I'm thinking Southeast Asia and Europe) think nothing of bundling up in coats and sweaters even in 20-degree (Celsius) weather, regardless of whether they're short, tall, fat, or slim. In SEA, 20C is considered "cold"; in Europe, the winter clothes come out in the wintertime regardless of the temperature. It's strange to me, but it's just what they are used to.
I tend to agree. My casual observation is that "winter clothes coming out in winter time" tends to happen more in countries which are stereotyped as being more fashion-conscious (whether it's true or not) and also countries where conforming to the norm is expected more (Japan, for instance).

The other day on JAL, I noticed that the only people with a fan out were those who probably were not from Japan. It was extremely hot to me but since most people around me had their blanket/cardigans etc on, I could not bring myself to complain. I tend to think it's more about what you're used to. If you are used to having your summer office temperature set to 28 degrees, you'd probably find it a bit chilly in the cabin at 25 degrees (whereas I find it being close to intolerably hot). I definitely do not have much body fat layer to keep me warm so my heat intolerance cannot be explained by the fat layer, more like my personal preference and what I am used to.

To put it simply, it's winter in Australia. I then went from SIN-HND on JL. SIN was reasonably well air-conditioned everywhere. The result? The JL cabin felt hot. If I had spent time in the tropics with no air conditioning, JAL cabin probably would have felt OK or even chilly.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 5:32 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
I've not flown on JAL yet, but was thinking of trying them soon. However, if they really do overheat cabins (like ANA, the one airline I've used that consistently does it), maybe I should avoid them?

Maybe it is a Japanese thing? It's not even a problem with other carriers in the region. (CX, TG, MH, SQ don't overheat in my experience.)

Originally Posted by Psychocadet
No, they do not listen to those requests because most Japanese people like it that hot. I will tell you that the warmth ruined my flight. I did not sleep a second and I was in a T-shirt. Since there are no personal air vents I would bring a mini fan. At least you will get some relief. I'm never flying JAL again. Not having personal air vents is inexcusable.
This sounds horrendous. Also, if that is their logic, it is flawed. Clearly, it makes sense to make the cabin cooler than passengers on average would like, because those who are too cold can use a blanket and those who are too hot have no way to remedy the problem. Plus, the effects of being overheated last much longer. Nobody wants to be sweating heavily a few hours into a 24-hour trip.

Originally Posted by JALPak
The cabin i am at right now is very cold. I need cardigan and duvet to keep me warm!
Surely that's good? It feels so good to snuggle up under a blanket.

Originally Posted by Psychocadet
To be honest, that makes it worse. Because the FA told be 26 Cel was company policy. So, I'd hate to think it was just their fickle ways.
26 C is way too hot. Given the fluctuations in the cabin, that'll mean 27 C (80.7 F) some of the time.

Originally Posted by NE flier
I just noticed this thread and I'm a little concerned. The most recent experience suggests that a polite request from two f pax, even if on award tickets, to lower cabin temp might be accommodated. Can anyone provide advice to this ignorant gaijin on how to politely but firmly follow up if the first request is refused?
I've found it very effective with NH to loiter next to the lovely cool galley. Upon explaining that it is comfortable there but unbearably hot in my seat, they are very quick to turn down the furnace.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.