Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL - Hot Cabin

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2014, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by Kremmen
I've not flown on JAL yet, but was thinking of trying them soon. However, if they really do overheat cabins (like ANA, the one airline I've used that consistently does it), maybe I should avoid them?

Maybe it is a Japanese thing? It's not even a problem with other carriers in the region. (CX, TG, MH, SQ don't overheat in my experience.)

Originally Posted by Psychocadet
No, they do not listen to those requests because most Japanese people like it that hot. I will tell you that the warmth ruined my flight. I did not sleep a second and I was in a T-shirt. Since there are no personal air vents I would bring a mini fan. At least you will get some relief. I'm never flying JAL again. Not having personal air vents is inexcusable.
This sounds horrendous. Also, if that is their logic, it is flawed. Clearly, it makes sense to make the cabin cooler than passengers on average would like, because those who are too cold can use a blanket and those who are too hot have no way to remedy the problem. Plus, the effects of being overheated last much longer. Nobody wants to be sweating heavily a few hours into a 24-hour trip.

Originally Posted by JALPak
The cabin i am at right now is very cold. I need cardigan and duvet to keep me warm!
Surely that's good? It feels so good to snuggle up under a blanket.

Originally Posted by Psychocadet
To be honest, that makes it worse. Because the FA told be 26 Cel was company policy. So, I'd hate to think it was just their fickle ways.
26 C is way too hot. Given the fluctuations in the cabin, that'll mean 27 C (80.7 F) some of the time.

Originally Posted by NE flier
I just noticed this thread and I'm a little concerned. The most recent experience suggests that a polite request from two f pax, even if on award tickets, to lower cabin temp might be accommodated. Can anyone provide advice to this ignorant gaijin on how to politely but firmly follow up if the first request is refused?
I've found it very effective with NH to loiter next to the lovely cool galley. Upon explaining that it is comfortable there but unbearably hot in my seat, they are very quick to turn down the furnace.
Agree. Galley loitering is thr best way to have temp issue fixed. When i was in jal f it was warm at times n cool at times. Always fix it when i complain th
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Based on all these negative comments about overheated cabins, I've switched our reservations from JL to CX where that does not seem to be an issue.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:58 am

Programs: JGC - 1 star
double post

Last edited by Flanker2; Dec 3, 2014 at 11:48 am
Old Dec 3, 2014, 9:26 am

I've flown JAL for about 16 longhaul flights since August this year.
I noticed their higher cabin temperature on 3 of my first flights and indeed woke up in a sweat. It was rather uncomfortable.

I however noticed these things:
Being a Y-class flier, the aft Y-class portion is always cooler than the forward one.
As I'm a former aviation employee, I can link this to the fact that on the B77W, the A/C system sends the least heat into the most aft zone of the cabin (see below illustration) and that the aft cargo bay is generally cooler in temperature, cooling down the cabin that is just above (it's just sandwich panels and some linings between both).
The same could probably be said about the cargo bays of the B788.

http://nl.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2...8#.VH7-NfmFXLo

A higher cabin temperature does not result in lower fuel burn. This is a myth.
In fact, on both the B788 and B77W, JL would have to burn more fuel to make the cabin warmer.
For the technical details,
-the B788 has an electric A/C system. To generate more heat (remember that it's -56°C outside), the generators would have to generate more kiloWatts, causing more drag on the engine, burning more fuel
-the B77W has a bleed air system that taps compressed air from the engines' compressors.
Part of the bleed air is cooled down through the air cycle machine, essentially a turbocompressor that compresses the bleed air further, colling that down with ram air heat exchangers, before expanding the air back at the turbine and causing it to cool down, before it goe to a mixing unit.
The rest of the bleed air is fed directly into the mixing unit.
To increase the temperature of a given part of the cabin, you would have to feed more bleed air directly from the engines. To compensate that, the engines would have to burn more fuel to get the same thrust.

I've talked to many cabin crews and they all seem to agree that the company temp setting is 24°C. However, some Japanese CC's like to turn the heat up. The Europe based crews seem to like it cooler.

So my advice is to take a seat in the back and if that doesn't work, kindly explain that the high temperature is making you sweat and that you're worried that you might bother the neighbors. Ask to turn it back down to 24°C.
I see no reason why they wouldn't help you with that.

I also think that part of the hot experience is owed to our own expectations.
My first flights with them, I wore thick clothes expecting it to be chilly like on any flight I take in Europe. This caused me to become hot and sweaty.
I did write JAL to share that experience with them.

The last 10+ longhaul flights over the past 2 months, I've been wearing a t-shirt and jeans, and I found the temperature to be very comfortable. I didn't sweat at all. I also never found any use for the blankets, it's just perfect.
I even felt cold when I was on connecting AY and BA flights.

I don't know whether JL changed their policies or whether it's because I have adapted my expectations and clothing, but I didn't experience any issues anymore with the temperature.

Last edited by Flanker2; Dec 3, 2014 at 11:53 am
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by Flanker2
I've flown JAL for about 16 longhaul flights since August this year.
I noticed their higher cabin temperature on 3 of my first flights and indeed woke up in a sweat. It was rather uncomfortable.

I however noticed these things:
Being a Y-class flier, the aft Y-class portion is always cooler than the forward one.
As I'm a former aviation employee, I can link this to the fact that on the B77W, the A/C system sends the least heat into the most aft zone of the cabin (see below illustration) and that the aft cargo bay is generally cooler in temperature, cooling down the cabin that is just above (it's just sandwich panels and some linings between both).
The same could probably be said about the cargo bays of the B788.

http://nl.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2...8#.VH7-NfmFXLo

A higher cabin temperature does not result in lower fuel burn. This is a myth.
In fact, on both the B788 and B77W, JL would have to burn more fuel to make the cabin warmer.
For the technical details,
-the B788 has an electric A/C system. To generate more heat (remember that it's -56°C outside), the generators would have to generate more kiloWatts, causing more drag on the engine, burning more fuel
-the B77W has a bleed air system that taps compressed air from the engines' compressors.
Part of the bleed air is cooled down through the air cycle machine, essentially a turbocompressor that compresses the bleed air further, colling that down with ram air heat exchangers, before expanding the air back at the turbine and causing it to cool down, before it goe to a mixing unit.
The rest of the bleed air is fed directly into the mixing unit.
To increase the temperature of a given part of the cabin, you would have to feed more bleed air directly from the engines. To compensate that, the engines would have to burn more fuel to get the same thrust.

I've talked to many cabin crews and they all seem to agree that the company temp setting is 24°C. However, some Japanese CC's like to turn the heat up. The Europe based crews seem to like it cooler.

So my advice is to take a seat in the back and if that doesn't work, kindly explain that the high temperature is making you sweat and that you're worried that you might bother the neighbors. Ask to turn it back down to 24°C.
I see no reason why they wouldn't help you with that.

I also think that part of the hot experience is owed to our own expectations.
My first flights with them, I wore thick clothes expecting it to be chilly like on any flight I take in Europe. This caused me to become hot and sweaty.
I did write JAL to share that experience with them.

The last 10+ longhaul flights over the past 2 months, I've been wearing a t-shirt and jeans, and I found the temperature to be very comfortable. I didn't sweat at all. I also never found any use for the blankets, it's just perfect.
I even felt cold when I was on connecting AY and BA flights.

I don't know whether JL changed their policies or whether it's because I have adapted my expectations and clothing, but I didn't experience any issues anymore with the temperature.
I wear the bare minimal tshirt n jeans n would still sweat like mad.p
Old Dec 5, 2014, 9:52 am

I just got off JL45 (HND-CDG) and I must say that it was rather cool in the cabin. As usual, I chose a seat in the 50's.

The temps varied between 21-23°C.
I found it even to be chilly at times and wore my sweater (I could have used the blanket instead if I wanted to).
I'm a guy who was sweating heavily on my first JL flights and I'm very sensitive to temps.

The load was very light though, so less people to radiate heat.

The guy in front of me sneezed regularily. He was wearing a sleeveless t-shirt.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 10:28 am

Hmm this sounds pretty bad.
I'm not Japanese and I don't think I would like sweating while in F...
Maybe I should switch to CX.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:02 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
I'm giving JL another chance 10 days from now. Am going to fly NRT-SAN on their 788 in C class. I didn't fly with them for almost three years because of that one flight I took from NRT to LAX. It was so damn hot, I thought I was
getting sick.

However, I must say their inflight meals are the best!
Old Dec 7, 2014, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dkjb3t4
Hmm this sounds pretty bad.
I'm not Japanese and I don't think I would like sweating while in F...
Maybe I should switch to CX.
keep telling them to turn down the temperature. the food and booze royally make up for the hot cabin, id say.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by kaka
keep telling them to turn down the temperature. the food and booze royally make up for the hot cabin, id say.
They aren't about to turn down the temperature if 80% of the seats are occupied by Japanese who prefer sauna-like temperatures.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Originally Posted by kaka
They aren't about to turn down the temperature if 80% of the seats are occupied by Japanese who prefer sauna-like temperatures.
They turned it down for me. (Just that the cabin heats back up after 3-4 hours after i dozed off)
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Okay, I've never flown JL, but I fly a lot of NH. How does JL compare with to NH in cabin temperature?

I'm okay with NH, and my next [and first] flight on JL I can't really change, but I can dress more or less layers though.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by alphaod
Okay, I've never flown JL, but I fly a lot of NH. How does JL compare with to NH in cabin temperature?

I'm okay with NH, and my next [and first] flight on JL I can't really change, but I can dress more or less layers though.
I last flew nh on 2012. I think they are comparable.
At least i was sweating on both
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:01 am

I had another longhaul flight with JL this week, JL46 CDG-HND in Y.
The flight was packed and I chose a seat in the 50's (B77W).

The temperature was a very comfortable 22-23°C throughout the flight.

The first meal was excellent, as always (Servair does a great job out of CDG on the regular meals, but I advise to avoid their low lactose meal as it's the same as the gluten-free one, ie tasteless). The second was great too save for the scrambled egg/omelet which I'm not so fond of due to allergies, not taste (many people do have egg allergies/digest eggs poorly; resulting in farting across the cabin).

Cabin crew attentive and very courteous, even to a young France-raised Israeli idiot and his friend, who as the seat belt sign went off after take-off, started coming and going into the aft galley (ignoring any form of privacy to the cabin crew who were preparing for the first drink service) and poured drinks for himself and his girlfriend seated across the cabin about every 3 minutes.
In-between those, he would take ugly poses across the cabin to show how ugly he was.

It was annoying for me as a pax, so I can't imagine how annoying it must have been for the cabin crew, who were seemingly worrying that he was disturbing other pax.

I wish I had thought of holding my cup of orange juice out as he dangled his heavy feet past my aisle seat.

After arrival, when about 90% of the cabin had deplaned, he went to the aft galley and asked for a bottle of water, so he wouldn't have to buy one in the airport.
The attendant served him with a smile...
It really shows how great the JL flight attendants are... and how idiot this guy was..
Total eclipse...

He was dangling a lot of flyingblue tags off his carry-on. For my part, AF can keep these annoying passengers.

Last edited by Flanker2; Dec 9, 2014 at 11:09 am
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:57 pm

26???? ...!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.