Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL - Hot Cabin

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2023, 11:06 am

I've flown JAL roundtrip twice in the past 12 months (LAX - NRT/HND), and on all of the flights I've personally found the cabin temps to be comfortable while wearing long pants and a t-shirt.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 4:47 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
I flew HND-DFW round-trip in August. The cabin temperature was fine. Maybe a bit chilly. But I've lived in Japan for over 25 years, so maybe I've gotten accustomed to the hotter aircon temps that are common in Japan.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 5:13 pm

Flew last week and my sealed packaged chocolates melted while on the plane. Hottttttttttttttttttt =)
Old Dec 11, 2023, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by sky_throwaway
Flew last week and my sealed packaged chocolates melted while on the plane. Hottttttttttttttttttt =)
Considering the chocolate has melting points above 30 degrees (86) that must have been unusually hot air.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Considering the chocolate has melting points above 30 degrees (86) that must have been unusually hot air.
Or some low cacao-content chocolate!

I have personally found the JL cabin temps very comfortable. I also have to bring along a sweater on most aircraft or North American offices, so there's others who have different preferences than me. Once, mid-summer I made the mistake of traveling on a UA long-haul (US<>EU) with no sweater. The cabin was freezing. UA didn't load enough blankets for everyone (at least I got one, but no chance to have an extra.) A miserable 8 hours. You just can't please everyone, but everyone can find the airline that accommodates them best.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 9:49 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sky_throwaway
where were you traveling from?
Old Dec 14, 2023, 7:28 am

Dfw hnd cold af

Recently flew their 777-300er Dfw hnd and it was cold af. Had to resort to using blanket for the first time in a flight and still had to go pee for 8-9 times in a 13 hr flight.
Maybe they changed something recently.

also this was my first time flying a 777, (only flown 747 and 787 in wb before ); is 777 really that noisy in general? I was seated in the rear 3rd last row and the noise was too much for my expectations.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 7:37 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Looks like passenger in 1K had a chocolate emergency on my flight yesterday 😂
Attached Images  
Old Dec 14, 2023, 11:36 am

Programs: JL S/JGC | AS MVP | Hyatt G
On the trip before last I woke up midway through SFO-HND and due to the heat started fanning myself with a leaflet; it hadn't even occurred to me to ask that the cabin temperature be lowered. A passing FA noticed this and let me know that they'd go and adjust the thermostat; lo and behold it felt a little cooler a few minutes later. The other seven were asleep, though, so FA may have felt that they wouldn't notice a change of a few degrees.

I do find it interesting that the curtains are good enough at partitioning off air flow that section-level climate controls are actually effective...

Last edited by thecowgoesmoo; Dec 14, 2023 at 11:42 am
Old Dec 14, 2023, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA CK EXP 3MM, National EE, Hertz Plat
I posted a few times in this thread about the temp. I was at one time very hot but purchased a small USB fan which helped. I also asked to turn down the temp, and that helped, although my wife put on a blanket and they of course deferred to her, as she is Japanese, and I am not. All that said I lost a lot of weight in the past 2 years and now ALWAYS cold, wear a jacket in the Summer. It will be interesting to see how our flight goes in two weeks, DFW-HND. I will report back, but feel i am now skewed toward running cold.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Adding my thoughts as someone who cannot sleep in a hot cabin. I just got back from 4 legs on JAL- to/from the US to HND, and to/from HND to DEL. I went prepared for a wam cabin, with a t-shirt under my regular shirt so I could strip down as needed. On the 2 US flights, cabin temperature was nearly perfect for me-- slighly cool such that I could sleep well with a long sleeve shirt and the duvet (cardigans were offered on the flight from HND and many Japanese passengers took them, but I found it very comfortable without). The flights to/from DEL were very hot, even wearing just the t-shirt and putting the duvet in the overhead bin. I did request they lower the temp on one flight, and that helped a little, but the second flight stayed hot throughout, and I was wishing I had been clever enough to bring a USB fan as suggested by JSSAUCE.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA CK EXP 3MM, National EE, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by whimsey21
Adding my thoughts as someone who cannot sleep in a hot cabin. I just got back from 4 legs on JAL- to/from the US to HND, and to/from HND to DEL. I went prepared for a wam cabin, with a t-shirt under my regular shirt so I could strip down as needed. On the 2 US flights, cabin temperature was nearly perfect for me-- slighly cool such that I could sleep well with a long sleeve shirt and the duvet (cardigans were offered on the flight from HND and many Japanese passengers took them, but I found it very comfortable without). The flights to/from DEL were very hot, even wearing just the t-shirt and putting the duvet in the overhead bin. I did request they lower the temp on one flight, and that helped a little, but the second flight stayed hot throughout, and I was wishing I had been clever enough to bring a USB fan as suggested by JSSAUCE.
The fan can be a lifesaver...
Follow up: DFW-HND on 12-26 was perfect. I was even a bit cool! No issues at all. The FC cabin was 7 of 8, an American couple first time to Japan, myself and wife, and a dad/son who was EXP on AA. I gentleman who spoke Japanese and English, dont have his story but he literally slept the entire flight. So really an all USA based PAX cabin. Well Japanese wife but has lived in the US for 30 years. Will report back on the return HND-JFK...

Now the domestics legs of HND-OKA and then a side trip with family to HND and back, all quite warm. Even my Okinawa based family was hot. Also noticed the trains in Tokyo were a combination of heat and AC at times. Very strange to be freezing on one car and transfer to a furnace. Oh well.

Last edited by JSSAUCE; Jan 9, 2024 at 9:48 pm Reason: Forgot Something

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.