Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2015, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Ditto
Old May 18, 2015, 7:57 pm
Suspended

I'm also warm blooded, and routinely use the A/C throughout the year.

That being said, the cabin crew-especially if your sitting in a premium cabin- is very pro-active in accommodating requests to turn down the temperature.

My flights temperature came significantly down after I told them it was too hot. I just wish it was normal protocol for JL to keep their cabins at 70-72F so you don't have to ask an FA or the purser everytime.
Old May 18, 2015, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Unfortunately it seems like they jacked the heat up again. We're 4hrs outside Narita and I thought I gonna be able to nap, but alas not at this temperature.

EDIT: apparently some Japanese passengers complained it was too cold, that's why they jacked up the heat an FA told me. You can always dress up, but you can't dress down. I don't understand why that is so hard to understand. The FA offered me a refrigerated bottle of Perrier lol.

This non-Japanese passenger is sweating. Do they not understand the concept of jackets, layers, and sweaters?

Last edited by Edgerfly; May 18, 2015 at 10:07 pm
Old May 19, 2015, 9:50 am

I've resorted to travelling with a small portable fan (usb/battery). It helps a lot.

I did have several glasses of Salon so that might have contributed to the good sleep too
Old May 20, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Gold
I was on an NRT-LAX flight just a few days ago. It was warm but not impossibly hot. Short sleeve without blankets was just fine.
Old May 24, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Last week, I was on JL flights ICN-NRT-JFK-NRT-ICN on a mix of 767, 787, and 777W. All were quite warm, but not so hot as to be unbearable. I understand Asians like it warmer (wife is Asian), and I am on an Asian Airline, so I cope. At least, I don't have to use a blanket.
Old May 25, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
JAL hot cabins are a big reason to find another airline

Truly there is not reason for JAL to heat their cabins as they do. On one flight they had set the zone in business where we were to 26 C! Ugh. Unlivable. The equation is simple. If the cabin is cool and if some find it too cool a blanket will do the trick. But if too hot there is nothing that can be done. I for one cannot sleep in a hot room. I fly SWISS long haul frequently and they understand this and never overheat the cabin. I finally fixed things on JAL when I had the purser reset the temp for the zone where we were seated. But you have to deal with the purser directly. If one merely asks a flight attendant they will smile, nod, and do absolutely nothing.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:23 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
26C is Asian standard EVERYWHERE, and its' the Temperature of Summer. Every building, subway station, you name it, proudly boasts how they keep it on 26. Currently, I'm sitting in Korean public school where it's 31 outside and the aircon is still turned off. Thanks Seoul Government for that "cost effective, energy saving" regulation. I'm praying the air con is on by June 15. Mind you, the pools don't open here until June 30!
Old May 26, 2015, 9:27 am

I'm planning on wearing light clothing, packing my own PJs (BA First ones seem very thin). I did seriously consider wearing gym shorts, but decided that this would be too much. The portable fan, while a good solution, seemed cumbersome to carry to, from and around Japan.

Any other ideas in addition to asking the FAs to lower the temperature? I like to have backup plans that I can control.
Old May 26, 2015, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Maybe they are getting better at least in some spots. Over the past couple days flew JL 708 (in J on 788 so we had personal air vents on ceiling) and JL 6 (in F on 777 so no personal air vents) and in both instances I was chilly. On JL 708 I had to wear the provided J PJ top.

On JL 6 I was very happy to have the long sleeve pajamas they provided and the fairly heavy blanket and I know my GF was in a similar boat (she had to ask for an extra blanket on JL 708).

FWIW we're both caucasian and on both flights 90% of the rest of the J / F cabin was Asian.

Now if only they hadn't run out of both Salon (appeared to only have stocked 3 bottles for a 6/8 load) and Hibiki 17 (appeared to only have stocked 1 bottle for a 6/8 load) on JL 6...

Last edited by Duke787; May 26, 2015 at 1:22 pm
Old May 26, 2015, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by bmchris
I'm planning on wearing light clothing, packing my own PJs (BA First ones seem very thin). I did seriously consider wearing gym shorts, but decided that this would be too much. The portable fan, while a good solution, seemed cumbersome to carry to, from and around Japan.

Any other ideas in addition to asking the FAs to lower the temperature? I like to have backup plans that I can control.
The fan I got was about 5.5" in diameter and is pretty light (if no batt). I also pack some basketball shorts (knee length) in my carryon.

I know some people might frown upon wearing gym shorts but there is a breaking point It's a nice option to have just in case it gets unbearable.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by bmchris
What's wrong with gym shorts? If people can wear PJs in J/F, gym shorts should be fine for sleeping. Recently I was planning to take the red-eye SFO-HND flight and was going to wear gym shorts under my jeans. The plan was to remove my jeans at bedtime and then put them back on before arrival. I had to cancel the trip, though, so unfortunately I wasn't able to try it and see people's reactions.
Old May 27, 2015, 12:56 pm

Well, I've never seen it. I guess it's fine in the bed, but when not sleeping, I'd prefer to be more discrete. And just having to change in and out is a hassle I don't want. I even sometimes like to go PJs in the lounge just prior to boarding, and change just prior to landing. Those plane lavs can be tight.
Old May 28, 2015, 10:29 pm

Programs: The Embassy
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
What's wrong with gym shorts? If people can wear PJs in J/F, gym shorts should be fine for sleeping.
I wonder if I'm alone in thinking you should dress down for flights; I tend to change out of trousers, shirt and shoes in the departure lounge toilets in to tshirt, slipper shoes and shorts. You're going to be sleeping next to your fellow passengers anyway, waking up with sleep in your eyes, stinky breath, and bed hair...
Old May 29, 2015, 10:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
What's wrong with gym shorts? If people can wear PJs in J/F, gym shorts should be fine for sleeping.
I wonder if I'm alone in thinking you should dress down for flights; I tend to change out of trousers, shirt and shoes in the departure lounge toilets in to tshirt, slipper shoes and shorts. You're going to be sleeping next to your fellow passengers anyway, waking up with sleep in your eyes, stinky breath, and bed hair...
Shorts are for beaches, gym, kids, or your home where u can do anything u want.... Or you can wear whatever you see fit anywhere you want as long as there isnt a dress code and you dont care what others think

Last edited by kaka; May 29, 2015 at 10:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.