Old Apr 8, 2016, 6:36 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond+ Lifetime, JL Diamond
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
That's awesome. ^
Adding in some OZ/SQ/NH/CX data as well in the coming weeks
Old Apr 9, 2016, 4:07 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by Kremmen
I'm just amazed that there isn't a similarly long thread for ANA as well. Do Star Alliance flyers not mind being roasted?
There is a thread somewhere in the ANA forum where someone claims to have collapsed from the heat. ANA maintains hot cabins also.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 2:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
My Japanese friend told me that Japanese people love hot aircraft cabins. As a Japanese airline I guess they have to cater to the customer they mostly carry. Though I still don't know why they can't compromise at like 70 degrees and Japanese people can put on sweaters? We can't go naked...
Old Apr 10, 2016, 5:53 am

Overheating by western standards is common in Japan. Shops, restaurants, offices, trains and aircraft are often a lot warmer than some of us non-Japanese find comfortable. I stayed in a Narita Airport hotel this week and the room was way too hot and there was no heating or air conditioning control to allow me to lower the temperature. The window would open only a minute crack so it was a long and uncomfortable night.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 2:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Great flight last month...aside from the heat.

Unfortunately I was stuck in a middle seat on my JL flight home- and I was warm the whole time. Slept for an hour or so (didn't want to miss out too much of the service) and I woke up in a pool.

Intend to send JL a note (despite it probably not doing anything)
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:49 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I flew in Business class on both JL and NH in the last 2 weeks (ORD-NRT-ORD). Both were a bit warm but manageable.

Since I prefer it cooler, I intentionally wore a thin short sleeve shirt. No blanket was ever needed for me.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Just curious - does the hot cabins also happen on CX and OZ?

I've only been on JL short haul - and those cabins were quite toasty.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy

CX: No. Used a blanket on HKG-DUS in J on Saturday (and i sweat through an entire t-shirt on JL)

OZ: Yes, but not to the same extent. They keep the cabin at about 2-4c cooler than JL (depending on cabin) - and are willing to lower temp if they get complaints. This appears never to be the case with JL, according to other posters.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gpia
CX: No. Used a blanket on HKG-DUS in J on Saturday (and i sweat through an entire t-shirt on JL)

OZ: Yes, but not to the same extent. They keep the cabin at about 2-4c cooler than JL (depending on cabin) - and are willing to lower temp if they get complaints. This appears never to be the case with JL, according to other posters.
Thanks. Good to know about CX. Heat has had me shying way from the Asian carriers, despite their otherwise superior service. I'm one that prefers a cooler cabin with the option to cover up if necessary than the other way around.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)

No experience with OZ, but CX F did not have a hot cabin. It was quite comfortable.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: OZ Diamond+ Lifetime, JL Diamond
This is anecdotal but I nearly always find CX cabin temperatures to be too low. I usually ask for two blankets. SQ get it about right, at least for my taste.

As I mentioned before, for real numbers you can search Twitter for #JL or #OZ #cabintemp for temperature and humidity.

I personally never feel hot on JL flights but I did today on the HND-Shibuya airport limo bus. Measured 26.7C and 37% humidity (it was raining to be fair).

Last edited by sixpaq; Apr 13, 2016 at 8:01 pm Reason: bad grammar, as usual
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
I'm on the HND-SFO siting in F and the temperature is perfect (just a little too cold, so those sleeping with blankets don't overheat).

The F lounge was miserably hot though (and pretty sub-par in general compared to SQ, EY)
Old Apr 13, 2016, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by gbs1112
Overheating by western standards is common in Japan. Shops, restaurants, offices, trains and aircraft are often a lot warmer than some of us non-Japanese find comfortable. I stayed in a Narita Airport hotel this week and the room was way too hot and there was no heating or air conditioning control to allow me to lower the temperature. The window would open only a minute crack so it was a long and uncomfortable night.
I think that the notion of 'Western' is somewhat complex too. Many Europeans find US air conditioning habits bewildering and room temperatures across the pond freezing. Beyond individual variations, I think that there is a big clash of preferences between average US and average Japanese temperature norms. Most Europeans fit somewhere in between. I tend to prefer slightly cooler with a bit more of a duvet but on JL, duvets tend to be very thin and I have more than occasionally needed to ask for a second one.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I think that the notion of 'Western' is somewhat complex too. Many Europeans find US air conditioning habits bewildering and room temperatures across the pond freezing. Beyond individual variations, I think that there is a big clash of preferences between average US and average Japanese temperature norms. Most Europeans fit somewhere in between. I tend to prefer slightly cooler with a bit more of a duvet but on JL, duvets tend to be very thin and I have more than occasionally needed to ask for a second one.
Similarly, I thought it was crazy when I went to the UK and found out that the hotel didn't have AC but in the common areas. Just had a fan. It wasn't bad as it was still late spring, but had it been summer I would have found a different hotel. I don't get what's hard about having a thermostat and allowing the guest to adjust it to their individual comfort level.

On a plane, that's more difficult, but I liked that AA had fairly cool air coming out of the vents. It was there if you wanted it, but otherwise comfortable. A blanket or sweater would have kept the warmer crowd happy.

I dunno - just seems there's a lot more to do to make one warm than to try to cool down. YMMV.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Similarly, I thought it was crazy when I went to the UK and found out that the hotel didn't have AC but in the common areas. Just had a fan. It wasn't bad as it was still late spring, but had it been summer I would have found a different hotel. I don't get what's hard about having a thermostat and allowing the guest to adjust it to their individual comfort level.

On a plane, that's more difficult, but I liked that AA had fairly cool air coming out of the vents. It was there if you wanted it, but otherwise comfortable. A blanket or sweater would have kept the warmer crowd happy.

I dunno - just seems there's a lot more to do to make one warm than to try to cool down. YMMV.
Funny you are talking about this now. I just got back from a stay at the crowne plaza Changsha China and they kept the rooms at 25 degrees Celsius. Even though there was a thermostat in your room it was useless. Thankfully it was only a 2 day trip, but really ridiculous. This seems to be common abroad outside the US where they fix the temp in your room. I found this in many parts of Europe (Spain especially).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.