Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL - Hot Cabin

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Flanker2
The temperature was a very comfortable 22-23°C throughout the flight.
22-23 degrees C is above 70 degrees F, which I would find comfortable while in a swimming suit on the beach, but not fully clothed on a plane.

Unfortunately for me, my luck has run out: I'm on the verge of buying flights on JL. Usually I enjoy trying out new air carriers, but I have been avoiding JL successfully up until now. Fortunately, I was able to stick with AA for the transpacific portion, but the intra-Asia flights on JL are the only options at my price point. I've had good luck getting flights on CX before, and CX seems to keep their flights at a much more reasonable (to me) temperature.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by Flanker2
The second was great too save for the scrambled egg/omelet which I'm not so fond of due to allergies, not taste (many people do have egg allergies/digest eggs poorly; resulting in farting across the cabin).
Oh my ! Between the heat and the odor
Old Dec 9, 2014, 6:47 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by mikew99
22-23 degrees C is above 70 degrees F, which I would find comfortable while in a swimming suit on the beach, but not fully clothed on a plane.

Unfortunately for me, my luck has run out: I'm on the verge of buying flights on JL. Usually I enjoy trying out new air carriers, but I have been avoiding JL successfully up until now. Fortunately, I was able to stick with AA for the transpacific portion, but the intra-Asia flights on JL are the only options at my price point. I've had good luck getting flights on CX before, and CX seems to keep their flights at a much more reasonable (to me) temperature.
You shouldn't fly on JL then if you think 22-23C is uncomfortable when fully clothed on a plane.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by JALPak
You shouldn't fly on JL then if you think 22-23C is uncomfortable when fully clothed on a plane.
I agree, that's why I've so far avoided JL completely. For my upcoming itinerary, however, the cost of avoiding JL is over $1K more, so I'm resigned to suffer through it.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by mikew99
I agree, that's why I've so far avoided JL completely. For my upcoming itinerary, however, the cost of avoiding JL is over $1K more, so I'm resigned to suffer through it.
It's only $1K, which is the usually extra cost I paid to fly on JL.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by JALPak
22-23ºC sounds just fine to me.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by dkjb3t4
It is to me but someone said that's the temp for swimsuits
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: JGC Sapphire
I did make a wrong decision once, my previous set of flights was with CX.

It was middle of the winter, and I just had appendectomy 2 weeks ago, coughing is certainly not something I want, so I was wearing heat-tech + cashmere top + double layer of heat-tech tights + wool skirt, which I instantly regret when I got on-board.

It was indeed hot and I was sweating at the beginning, but soon after my body adapted to the surrounding, it is not something that I can not manage, I wasn't even bothered to take any of my clothes off. I survived after the 3 hour Y flight just fine.

I have to admit I prefer CX's cold setting more, but if 22-23 is not manageable, there aren't that many places to live to be honest, even Northern Europe, Canada and Hokkaido get temperature above 25 during summer.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
That's almost 75 degrees Fahrenheit !! In a closed cabin?? Incredible. JAL and their Japanese passengers want this and that's their right as JAL is their national carrier. But westerners may want to avoid JL and take a carrier that caters to the average passenger. It's always possible to get warmer with blankets, sweaters, etc. but it's almost impossible to get cooler short of flying nude and maybe not even then at these high temps.

Someone also mentioned that outdoor temps in Europe and the US can certainly exceed 23 Celcius during certain times. That's a silly argument as outdoor temperatures have nothing to do with temperatures in confined spaces.

I also looked at JL's first class meals. While they offer a single western dish, appetizers such as sea urchins and other typical Japanese fare don't usually appeal to the usual western traveler.

It's clear that JL is most interested in serving their own market and that's fine. Someone recently posted that American carriers don't offer meals appealing to Asians on their domestic flights. However, on our upcoming trip -strictly domestic- our selection on one flight is Miso Chicken and on the next flight it's Terryaki beef, neither of which we like. For westerners who like Japanese food, I'm sure the quality on JL is of very high standard.

CX is willing to keep the cabin at a reasonable temperature and offer a selection of meals to western passengers both in F and J classes.

For these reasons I canceled our F reservations on JL (SIN-LAX) and switched to CX. We will NOT suffer like we did on our last 2 trips on JL.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:31 pm

People around here are so dramatic.

22-23C is a hellhole? Seriously?

JL F catering, both Western and Japanese is also leaps and bounds above what CX F serves. Think Michelin-star quality vs. Panda Express quality on CX - there are in fact 3 Western options on JL, one of which is a wonderful steak. And I know good Chinese cuisine, SQ for instance does it much better than CX.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23916867-post8.html
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by tng11
People around here are so dramatic.

22-23C is a hellhole? Seriously?

JL F catering, both Western and Japanese is also leaps and bounds above what CX F serves. Think Michelin-star quality vs. Panda Express quality on CX - there are in fact 3 Western options on JL, one of which is a wonderful steak. And I know good Chinese cuisine, SQ for instance does it much better than CX.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23916867-post8.html
Hmm.. Panda Express quality on CX huh?
That doesn't sound good.

Oh well I guess I will experience both CX F and JL F and compare.

Those pics look REALLY amazing though.
I mean that's really michelin star quality presentation... on an airplane.
amazing!

Last edited by dkjb3t4; Dec 10, 2014 at 10:05 pm
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:02 pm

Hmm.. Panda Express quality on CX huh?
That doesn't sound good.

Oh well I guess I will experience both CX F and JL F and compare.
Okay - maybe I exaggerated a bit in carrying on with the theme of being melodramatic. The food on CX F is its weak point but it's still edible, but compared to JL F ex-Japan it's night and day.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by tng11
Okay - maybe I exaggerated a bit in carrying on with the theme of being melodramatic. The food on CX F is its weak point but it's still edible, but compared to JL F ex-Japan it's night and day.
well, panda express is also edible when you're hungry..lol

so JL has the best foods in the F on any airline you've been to?
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
That's almost 75 degrees Fahrenheit !! In a closed cabin?? Incredible. JAL and their Japanese passengers want this and that's their right as JAL is their national carrier. But westerners may want to avoid JL and take a carrier that caters to the average passenger. It's always possible to get warmer with blankets, sweaters, etc. but it's almost impossible to get cooler short of flying nude and maybe not even then at these high temps.
It`s not just that. In Japan (and in S. Korea) electricity cost an arm and a leg, so people in these countries hardly ever use AC and heaters at home to a comfortable level because it is VERY expensive. So to them, to be in a really warm cabin is a treat itself, as most of the passengers get this hot temperature not very often on the ground.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:54 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by Kat007
It`s not just that. In Japan (and in S. Korea) electricity cost an arm and a leg, so people in these countries hardly ever use AC and heaters at home to a comfortable level because it is VERY expensive. So to them, to be in a really warm cabin is a treat itself, as most of the passengers get this hot temperature not very often on the ground.
Doesn't everything in Japan cost an arm and a leg?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.