Wiki Posts
Search

JAL - Hot Cabin

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 6:37 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by R&R
It is more PHYSIOLOGIC then cultural, which has turned into a bad habit kept alive by unknowledgeable passengers! Basic Human Physiology 101.

I will bet it is more of a fuel $$ saving reason to ignore the discomfort caused to a majority of passengers, who don't know what is best for them or why they are so uncomfortable and short of breath.
I don't know about you, but most passengers, myself included, on my flights were covered with blankets and wore the cardigans provided. So I wouldn't say majority of passengers found it uncomfortable. And I am not the only one who noticed this

Originally Posted by yannix
82F is warm .. at least for sleeping. I was quite amazed that while I was sweating and having difficulty sleeping (Only wearing t-shirt and jeans), the other passengers were using the JL-provided sweatshirts.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:39 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak
I don't know about you, but most passengers, myself included, on my flights were covered with blankets and wore the cardigans provided. So I wouldn't say majority of passengers found it uncomfortable. And I am not the only one who noticed this

I had the same experience on all my flights as well. And I am a person who hates high temperatures.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 9:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, HHonors Diamond
Just took JL708 out of BKK (1 August) and thought the cabin was very warm, and inconsistent. At times my wife and I would sweat, and 30 minutes later be comfortable. Never had a problem like that before. We were glad to get off in that respect.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 11:57 pm
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
I don't know about you, but most majority of passengers found it uncomfortable. And I am not the only one who noticed this
This is a contradiction!
Old Aug 2, 2013, 2:33 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by R&R
This is a contradiction!
I said I wouldn't say majority of the passenger found it uncomfortable. And by uncomfortable, I meant too warm.

Last edited by JALPak; Aug 2, 2013 at 2:41 am
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I flew my usual route BKK-KIX last week and experienced the same. I asked the chief to turn down the A/C! It was soo hot I couldn't sleep(and it never got cooler). The blanket stayed in the plastic bag on the floor from the moment I sat down.

Let's hope I don't die on my two flights with JAL tomorrow.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by fumitani
I flew my usual route BKK-KIX last week and experienced the same. I asked the chief to turn down the A/C! It was soo hot I couldn't sleep(and it never got cooler). The blanket stayed in the plastic bag on the floor from the moment I sat down.

Try using SP! It`s so hot it`s not funny on most flights. Anyone that states otherwise should put on more clothes... how is someone hot supposed to get cold? Get naked?
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Simmo
Try using SP! It`s so hot it`s not funny on most flights. Anyone that states otherwise should put on more clothes... how is someone hot supposed to get cold? Get naked?
I was tried from a full days of work and sweating(why use SP when tired?). Then I needed my sleep to go to work the next day (which didn't happen). I was dying in sweat! Please 28c nonsense is stupid.

CX flights I took inbetween had nice A/C settings. ^
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:16 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

There's an interesting article i came across about why Japan is so fond of 28C / 82F. I haven't checked the veracity of what's written in it but according to the article, in 2005 the Japanese governent started promoting "cool biz" for summer months in order to save energy. Men would leave their jackets and neckties at home and use short sleeved shirts as well. And in the office, ac temperatures would be set to 28C to save electricity.

Why 28C you ask? It seems that it's because 28C is the limit at which HEATSTROKE doesn't set in. Also it's the legal limit for office temperatures in Japan.

I don't know about you but any temperature that is just about to cause heatstroke certainly sounds hot (and unhealthy) to me.

http://news.infoseek.co.jp/article/20110701jcast20112100257?p=2
Old Aug 2, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: AA:1MM
Originally Posted by KIXman
There's an interesting article i came across about why Japan is so fond of 28C / 82F. I haven't checked the veracity of what's written in it but according to the article, in 2005 the Japanese governent started promoting "cool biz" for summer months in order to save energy. Men would leave their jackets and neckties at home and use short sleeved shirts as well. And in the office, ac temperatures would be set to 28C to save electricity.
Interestingly 28C is the temperature where the AC kicks in at the university as well...

Have also heard of the cool biz option
Old Aug 2, 2013, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fumitani

i figured the best way to get them to act is to keep asking them for water in the galley (best to actually be in the galley cuz its airier and cooler)

AND to ask for a comment form.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
get better health and you wont be complaining about cold
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:48 pm
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Unhappy Flying High and Feeling Good!

I said I wouldn't say majority of the passenger found it uncomfortable. And by uncomfortable, I meant too warm.
Of course they are more comfortable covered with blankets and wearing a sweatshirt, which is fine for them to use at 75-76 degrees, which is kinder and gentler on breathing and oxygen levels in the body for everyone!
There is no need to deny the blankets and sweat shirts with the right conditions in the air plane.

But raising the temperature over 80(82) degrees in a metal tube with lowered pressure, decreased oxygen, and Very LOW humidity is detrimental to the lungs and blood oxygen levels for passengers with or without any degree of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. My lungs are normal, but I can feel the difference as the temp reaches 78-80 degrees.
Since the domestic american Pilots are aware of this, and will make adjustments, when they are alerted. Even some of the FA's understand this well enough to notify the Pilots, when alerted. They are too busy with cabin duties to monitor the temp, if there is even a thermometer in the passenger cabins. Thank God for Casio World Time wrist watches with temp readings!

OVERALL, it is healthier to be a bit cooler, then fly in dry hot AIR!
There will be less Jet Lag, tiredness, headaches, shortness of breath, better sleep, and faster recovery!
If you don't believe it, read the review from 787 passengers with or without a digital thermometer wrist watch! ^

Last edited by R&R; Aug 2, 2013 at 8:26 pm
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:19 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Nothing current
I'm one of the "Americans obsessed with ice" -- I drink ice water even in the winter and have very low tolerance for hot weather.

I've flown on probably about 100 JL flights in the past 10 years, both international and domestic, and I have never felt so uncomfortably warm that I felt the need to mention it to the FAs. The cabin temperature seemed about the same on JL as on any other carrier (except maybe AS, where I once nearly froze to death on a LAX-SEA flight ).

I guess it's all subjective.

-S
Old Aug 3, 2013, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Posting live from a JAL flight using skywifi..

The temp on this flight is good. If I use a blanket ill burn though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.