Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL - Hot Cabin

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Sarfa33
In reality, there probably isn't any place on the surface of the planet that gets hot enough for that to happen.
Thank you for the comment. That is exactly what I was trying to say. You know why the study ended at 43 C (109 F), and no further up. Denature of protein, sulfur-sulfur bond breakage.

Also to add. Those temperature on the study you sited referred to temperature of blood in our body, pretty much our body temperature. Even in the middle of summer where I live at Houston reaches three digit temperature, our body has excellent temperature control that our blood temperature will remain relatively constant and it is highly unlikely for our body temperature to reach above 100 F (37 C). Which means our blood oxygen level remains relative constant even though outside temperature may reach high or low.

Take care.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Aug 8, 2013 at 5:41 pm
Old Aug 10, 2013, 4:28 pm

jal hot cabin

Just seeing if the high temperature is year round or just in the summer.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:09 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
I took a flight from NRT to LAX in J class and that was the last time I would ever take JL. Service is great but the cabin was so uncomfortable. It had to be at least 29 c in that cabin. It was so hot, I had to sleep on my side with my legs touching the side panel.

A friend of mine who's an ISM for SQ told me they purposely set the cabin cold. They are told in their training, to minimise the use of the call button, always set it cold.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:28 pm

What time of year as it was stated this is the temperature set as in the summer the office buildings are set to this, so in the winter i would think its cooler.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 6:17 pm
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
It is time we get ACCURATE temperature readings from a thermometer, rather then questimates to correctly discuss HOT & cold.

The sensation of temperature is influenced by the humidity & altitude, as well!
Old Aug 11, 2013, 8:07 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by R&R
It is time we get ACCURATE temperature readings from a thermometer, rather then questimates to correctly discuss HOT & cold.

The sensation of temperature is influenced by the humidity & altitude, as well!
I am not obsess with the number. It's how comfortable I am that matters to me. Maybe you could do that on your flight later but I would only trust the temperature reading displayed on the AC.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by yannix
82F is warm .. at least for sleeping. I was quite amazed that while I was sweating and having difficulty sleeping (Only wearing t-shirt and jeans), the other passengers were using the JL-provided sweatshirts.
are you kidding me...82 at night is HOT for sleeping. just read up but ideal temperatures for sleeping are below 75. ideal around 68 but as another notes, you need to factor humidity also - although it can be assumed to be lower.

i am actually concerned about booking a flight on JAL if they are going to keep the cabin this hot. what is odd is that don't they have to use more energy to keep it hotter than cooler? i mean, when it is as cold as it is outside, one need not turn on any AC, it is really using less heat...no?

the thing is, any person living in a hot country will tell you that you can always put a sweater on if you feel cold.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.6 MM
ORD-NRT-ORD in F

I went to Japan the end of July and returned in early August. I found the cabin to be absolutely miserably hot on both flights. I was hot to the point of sweating. The tempur-pedic mattress pads (which tend to hold heat anyway) made the problem worse. I finally had the FA collect it and just used the chair. On the return, they kept wanting to make my bed up, but I declined. It was simply to warm for the mattress pad. Even though the food and service was absolutely amazing on JAL, in the future I will probably stick with AA.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by danosu77
I went to Japan the end of July and returned in early August. I found the cabin to be absolutely miserably hot on both flights. I was hot to the point of sweating. The tempur-pedic mattress pads (which tend to hold heat anyway) made the problem worse. I finally had the FA collect it and just used the chair. On the return, they kept wanting to make my bed up, but I declined. It was simply to warm for the mattress pad. Even though the food and service was absolutely amazing on JAL, in the future I will probably stick with AA.
thanks for this. i think i will book on AA. the thought of a hot cabin makes me cringe. i have a very hard time sleeping at even 73 with a single flat sheet....the only thing that sucks in HND-JFK is the total crap for flight times IMO...oh well, should be able to find a place close to HND.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA/CO-1KPlat, MARRIOTT-LT PLAT
[QUOTE=AlwaysAisle;21238672] People with respiratory problems may start to experience hypoxia anywhere from 5,000 ft. altitude. For people without respiratory problem hypoxia, or altitude sickness, usually comes at altitude above 10,000 ft. The commercial aircraft we fly are set to cabin atmosphere anywhere between 4,000 ft. - 6,000 ft. altitude.
===============================================

AlwaysAisle,
Could please let us know, which commercial airlines and plane models, that fly with atmosphere between 4,000-6,000 ft. altitude?

I understand that the 787 has a higher pressure closer to 6,000 ft., whereas most models fly closer to 8,000 ft. pressure.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
It seems everyone is complaining about the hot cabin but few people have asked to have the temperature lowered.

Have lax-nrt in F coming up and I usually sleep at 77-78, any hotter and I have trouble (although excessive drinking may help). Although at 78 I will wake up often and be sweaty.

My plan is just to mention it to the ISM (does JL have ISM?) during boarding / before takeoff ... something along the lines of "would it be possible for the cabin to not get too hot during the flight as it makes it very difficult to sleep and makes me feel sick".

Then later if it's too hot ask for it to be cooled off a bit.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by AZbba
It seems everyone is complaining about the hot cabin but few people have asked to have the temperature lowered.

Have lax-nrt in F coming up and I usually sleep at 77-78, any hotter and I have trouble (although excessive drinking may help). Although at 78 I will wake up often and be sweaty.

My plan is just to mention it to the ISM (does JL have ISM?) during boarding / before takeoff ... something along the lines of "would it be possible for the cabin to not get too hot during the flight as it makes it very difficult to sleep and makes me feel sick".

Then later if it's too hot ask for it to be cooled off a bit.
when i saw this thread i started reading and searching....it would appear that this hot cabin problem has been such a problem for years on other boards for both JAL and ANA....i honestly do not think a JAL FA/ISM would actually turn down the cabin temperature from the JAL prescribed temperature upon request from a pax, even in F...

are you japanese? my 2 cents, but it might be worth it to have a good translation of what you are asking in writing to avoid any miscommunication, which i find can happen from time to time...

as much as i hate the timing, i booked AA HND-JFK because i can not sleep in heat...
Old Aug 16, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
Nope, we're both American. We did a few long haul legs on ANA (lax-hnd and nrt-cdg) 2 years ago in J and it wasn't that bad. The FA's were really nice as well, definitely no gaijin treatment.

I would imagine on a flight to the US the ISM would speak english, at least enough to get the request across.

Oh well it's only a 10 hour flight vs 14+ to HKG. We've done CX F so many times I really want to try JL. Worst case I can't sleep and it'll be like staying up till midnight. Although I imagine with the amount of alcohol in my system I won't even notice the temperature.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:25 pm

From a western`s perspective JAL cabin temperature is hot as an oven. From Japanese preservative it`s freezing cold hence every man and his dog asks for a blanket when traveling with them. It`s a Japanese airline so us westerners just have to live with the heat or ask them to turn it down.

Case closed.

Last edited by Simmo; Aug 20, 2013 at 1:31 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:28 am
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Thumbs up

Not so fast to close the case.

Did they correct the offending condition without further complaints?
Reduce the temperature, and/or increase the cabin pressure ?

On one occasion after take off, I experience severe shortness of breath to the point of gasping for air and heavy pressure on the chest.
Asked the FA to notify the Captain of the problem and within a short time was relieved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.