Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free Nights Promotion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2009, 7:14 pm

Programs: AC E, PC Plat Amb
I didn't see an alternative offer of double points when I register my partner's account...
Old Apr 24, 2009, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Happy
This is definitely bad.

Hyatt's FFN can be rescheduled as long as there is availability.
So can SPG's free night promo. This is a bad stipulation.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Queen438
I didn't see an alternative offer of double points when I register my partner's account...
Really?

From getafreenight.com, clicking on register prompts one to login and then presents:
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/289...enightreg1.jpg
Old Apr 24, 2009, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Really?

From getafreenight.com, clicking on register prompts one to login and then presents:
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/289...enightreg1.jpg
nope, I didn't get that page, I got a standard offer registration page and even got an email confirmation (I did it yesterday):
This email has been sent to confirm that you have been successfully registered for the
promotion outlined below.

Dear xxxx,

This email has been sent to confirm that you have been successfully registered for the
promotion outlined below.

Member: XXXX XXXXX
Member Number: xxxxxxxxx
Promotion: BIGGEST FREE NIGHT OFFER
Old Apr 24, 2009, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Yes.
No, but double points start on the second stay at most hotels after registration.
You mean you have to make a second stay at the same hotel in order to get double point, and only the 2nd stay earns double point?!

EDIT:

If I understand it correctly, the double pts only applies to every 2nd stay except for 2 brands.

The ICN promos have too many T&Cs to figure out!

Last edited by Happy; Apr 24, 2009 at 11:37 pm
Old Apr 24, 2009, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
You mean you have to make a second stay at the same hotel in order to get double point, and only the 2nd stay earns double point?!
No. Read the terms--
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11635038-post74.html
Old Apr 24, 2009, 11:59 pm
uk1
Suspended

It's important not to overlook the real ball-breaker. It would be wrong to assume that there will be redemption stock available to meet all demand.

With the current quality of IHG marketing promo work it wouldn't suprise me if "many" people find no availability for free nights at suitable properties once they have their e-cert. In that case IHG would simply remind you cut-and-pste fashion that they warned you in the Ts&Cs.

There's no real need for IHG to time-limit redemption - they could treat the free nights just like ordinary cancellable time-unlimited points redemptions. Through the recession what would have been the actual incremental cost of removing silly restrictions?

If their response to the SPG promo is one that might cause them further damage with a percentage of their best custmers - then why do they bother?
Old Apr 25, 2009, 12:13 am

It has already been mentioned here that the free night will come from award stock. Why are you so pessimistic?

I believe all free nights promo's T&C will have "based on availability" clause; I would think this is standard. If I was writing the T&C I would put that in as well. I mean if a hotel has a sold-out situation then obviously you can't book award nights. What's wrong with that?

I thought people had mentioned here that award availability has traditionally been good with IHG so this shouldn't be an issue

What I really don't like is the fact that you are stuck with one promo or another and that the free nights are non-refundable.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

gotta love IHG's communication issues...just got this email reply-
Foremost, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience. We experienced a web page error and the registration web page for the Stay 2 Nights, Get A Free Night offer went live earlier than it was supposed to. This web page will be available beginning 27 April 2009. Priority Club will be sending out an announcement beginning the week of April 27 with all the information or you can visit http://www.getafreenight.com on Monday, April 27.

As such, the registration you made on 23 April 2009 did not go through. Hence, your reservation in question may not qualify towards the said promotion unless you re-book it upon or 48 hours prior to registration.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 12:28 am
uk1
Suspended

I don't think that I'm being pessimistic at all. It's quite logical really.

1. The vast majority of people normally collecting ordinary points from their IHG stays for redemptions are NOT FT'ers and will not have been accumulating points in the way that many do here. Most "non-FT" people have to spend quite a lot of nights in IHG properties to acquire a free points night redemption.

2. This promotion will produce alongisde the normal number of redemption requirement a lump demand unlike any other previous IHG promotion that has to all be redeemed within limited time parameters.

3. IHG do not manage redemption inventory centrally but leave it to the individual properties. There is no reason to believe that they will wish to release more because of this promotion. They (individual properties that is) do not consider the issues caused by non-availaibilty to be a problem they need concern themselves with.

4. You are correct. Normal redemption inventory is fine. But how much will this programme increase inventory demand during the specific lump period?

The possible result is likely to be for a significant number during that period the problem I suggested.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 12:43 am

But wouldn't the other programs' free nights promo have most of the same issues you mentioned above? Mainly increased demand for free nights?

After all, I assume these free nights promo are due to low occupancy. When I was at IC Toronto last week the hotel lobby is virtually empty on a Thurs. afternoon. I would assume these hotels would love to have another source of money from IHG. However little it is, it's better than nothing. They do have to pay their bills.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uk1
I don't think that I'm being pessimistic at all. It's quite logical really.
While you are right to think about these issues, there are a few factors to help ameliorate the potential downside--
a) the earning period is two months, but the redemption period is almost six months--with no day of week restrictions
b) members are limited to four free nights from the promo
c) the promo requires active registration, and it is one of two choices
d) IHG has placed annoying restrictions on the booking window for nights to be eligible and is not permitting rebookings of free nights

I'll take my chances. If you don't wish to, sign up for double points. I'm using IHG nights as stay-breakers in between nights at SPG properties/
Old Apr 25, 2009, 1:00 am
uk1
Suspended

Didn't suggest that other programmes wouldn't have similar problems.

Re the relationship between earning and redemption period. The 2 month / 6 month ratio actually supports my maths rather than contradicts. If it currently takes an average non-FT ambassador say 13 STAYS (ie 40k/3k) - perhaps being a total of 26 nights - but will now take 2 NIGHTS to produce a free night then I would have thought the ratio should be 2 months / 52 months to maintain a likewise equilibrium and even that ignores that this is incremental redemption load.

Anyway we will see!

Last edited by uk1; Apr 25, 2009 at 1:10 am
Old Apr 25, 2009, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uk1
We will see!
Indeed we will. I already know where I want to use my free nights and when, but I have a backup property in mind as well. And then I can find some other use if that fails.

I'm more concerned over the latest PCR email I received indicated something with the registration site isn't working yet. My registration shows on My Offer Status and I have a confirmation e-mail, but come on PCR/IHG...
Old Apr 25, 2009, 1:15 am
uk1
Suspended

All PC members will receive invites, and as on the face of it it's an attractive offer, I predict that most people will register. This will produce a situation that IHG have not experieinced before and during which they cannot switch on the redemption tap to meet the demand in the limited redemption time-funnel that they have defined as the individual hotels own the redemption stock not IHG. Also many people don't read Ts&Cs and will assume that this is similar to normal redemptions. Either way, isn't it inevitable that this combined issue of non-cancelation with possible large scale non-availability cause a potentially large group of aggreived punters?

I've just read on another forum about a member in Japan. The programme doesn't cover Japan but the programme allows members in Japan to register. I bet they will find that they lose the promo and their points.

There's a terrible feeling of (UK members will understand!) Dad's Army about all this current messy knee-jerk promo programme making. A feeling that never before have things been so badly thought out and organised and tested and it's a great shame, but also worthy of some caution from us the punters.

Last edited by uk1; Apr 25, 2009 at 1:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.