Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free Nights Promotion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2009, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
So if you register for this promo, you forgo the Stay X get Y pts promo for the 2nd Quarter, as well as those ongoing, good for 90 days promos bonus points?
You should still get the bonus points, so long as concurrent registrations are accepted by the system--
Bonus Frequency Credits, however, will be awarded pursuant to the terms of any other promotion in which Member is participating.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soitgoes
You should still get the bonus points, so long as concurrent registrations are accepted by the system--
Dang, I just discover the Free Night promo excludes Japan! We have a total of 6 nights booked in Japan so far, and might need 2 more ... But they do not qualify for this promo!
Old Apr 20, 2009, 6:31 pm

IHG's recent rounds of promos, such as the Asia Sale, the F&F, and this Free Night... are really very poorly designed when comparing to its competitors.
Yes, there are some irritating drawbacks such as the inability to switch between promos or no base/elite points (one still gets night credits per Art.13), but the free nights are redeemable an useful 3 months longer than Starwood's, and not only on weekends, making them more valuable IMHO.

The 4 free nights could be worth up to 160K points, so to make the double points option worthwhile one would have to spend ~$5K (PC Plat at non-IC hotel) or 16 nights at an I-C (RA) in a 2 month span, if my math is correct, rather high figures.

In my case I also have an ill-timed trip to Asia starting in Japan that makes this promo nearly unusable; I may have to settle for Hilton's triple BMI miles instead.

Last edited by monahos; Apr 20, 2009 at 6:54 pm
Old Apr 20, 2009, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
The link seems not working now.
www.getafreenight.com
www.priorityclub.com/bookfreenights
Old Apr 20, 2009, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yuchung5
They've never been working. They will work at some point between now and the promo begin.

This link, however, did work but now does not, at least for me:
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/...ing/promo.html
Old Apr 20, 2009, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by monahos
The 4 free nights could be worth up to 160K points, so to make the double points option worthwhile one would have to spend ~$5K (PC Plat at non-IC hotel) or 16 nights at an I-C (RA) in a 2 month span, if my math is correct, rather high figures.

In my case I also have an ill-timed trip to Asia starting in Japan that makes this promo nearly unusable; I may have to settle for Hilton's triple BMI miles instead.
Are we sure we can redeem the free nights at IC?

The best free night promo IMO, is Hyatt's Faster Free Night, that they have been doing this almost twice a year for several years, with a brief interruption in recent past. T&Cs are very clear. You can redeem FFN at all Park Hyatts - some of them, such as the Tokyo, Sydney and Paris locations, are among the bests. There is no limit on how many free nights you can earn with Hyatt's FFN. The current one has ended the earning period. News are, they will have the 2nd round in Sept.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think, especially excluding all Japan properties, the only way to get to "more than 4,000" is to include at least some ICs:
http://www.ihgplc.com/files/pdf/fact...t_a_glance.pdf
Old Apr 20, 2009, 6:52 pm

Further perusal of the proposed T&C's reveals (Art.9b)
During the Redemption Period, Members will not earn any Frequency Credits for the Free Night room rate equivalent and applicable taxes; however, base and elite Frequency Credits will be awarded for all other eligible charges to the Member's room (except at InterContinental Hotels & Resorts, where points are awarded per stay only)"
which would indicate there are at least some participating IC's.

Also, I noticed that since stays in non-participating countries are excluded, one should get normal earnings in Japan even having signed up for the promo, a reasonable compromise.

Yes, Hyatt's FFN's are very good indeed, and I am working on meeting my HH and PC quotas before the next round of FFN's starts

Last edited by monahos; Apr 20, 2009 at 7:07 pm
Old Apr 20, 2009, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Well, are Freinds and Family rates eligible to earn these free nights?

For one who does not stay at IHC hotels much at all, this promotion is intriguing as I could really care less about points in the program.

However, beyond the potential restricitons on use and capacity controls, please review the use it or lose it after booking conditions of this promotion, as well!
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by davidw70
I must have missed this - are we expecting a double points promotion from mid-May? If so, I think it sounds a lot better than the free nights promo (at least for me)
I'm a little mystified by those suggesting that 4 free nights is worse than unlimited double points. Assuming that there is reasonable availability (OK, that's a big assumption, but it's premature to assume otherwise) 4 nights should be worth ~100k points. To get 100k bonus on double base points would require $10k worth of stays.

I understand that there are some who may not be able to use a free night during the redemption period, but with the forgoing assumption, for most people the buy 2 get one free hamay be the most lucrative promo ever (which may justfy some cynicism on availability).
Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Originally Posted by dgwright99
I'm a little mystified by those suggesting that 4 free nights is worse than unlimited double points. Assuming that there is reasonable availability (OK, that's a big assumption, but it's premature to assume otherwise) 4 nights should be worth ~100k points. To get 100k bonus on double base points would require $10k worth of stays.

I understand that there are some who may not be able to use a free night during the redemption period, but with the forgoing assumption, for most people the buy 2 get one free hamay be the most lucrative promo ever (which may justfy some cynicism on availability).
I think it depends on personal circumstances. My concern is the lack of point earning opportunities during the promotional period - given you can't register for both promotions, if you have a large number of stays the double points could be better.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I'm a little mystified by those suggesting that 4 free nights is worse than unlimited double points.
It's all about availability. The biggest risk is that by the time we know how much (or how little) availability exists, it will be impossible to switch back to points.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
It's all about availability. The biggest risk is that by the time we know how much (or how little) availability exists, it will be impossible to switch back to points.
Availability is the worry for me as well - not just for this promo, but will the inventory for the free nights be the same as the one for normal reward stays? I have lots of PC points that I was intending to burn for stays in the second half of the year, and don't want to find that there is no weekend availability in popular destinations because of the free nights promo.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:48 am

As well as the availability issue, my reading of the T&Cs is that you won't earn base or bonus points - so for a $1000 spend on double points as a plat, I would actually earn 25,000 points (10000 base, 5000 plat bonus and 10000 double points). It looks like bonus miles (promos, stay x nights, etc) won't be affected though. If availability was unlimited, and all hotels participate, the I think the free nights would be a no-brainer, but I'll wait and see what actually appears.

I also wonder whether stays will count as qualifying nights (at 0 points) towards plat or RA qualification?
Old Apr 21, 2009, 4:25 am

Programs: VA Platinum, QF Lifetime silver (ex plat :(), Accor Gold, IHG Ambassador, PC Platinum, Starwood Gold
"So if you register for this promo, you forgo the Stay X get Y pts promo for the 2nd Quarter, as well as those ongoing, good for 90 days promos bonus points?"

Is it just me or am i wrong reading it that the bonus points they will give include these sort of promotional points. therefore you would forfeit the standard stay points (at an IC not that big a deal) but might still be eligible for the others signed up for?

In that case it would be worth it for me - although would be a lot easier to tell if all the promos showed up in my offers!

"If the free nights are not redeemable in overseas ICs, "

Do we know this to be the case??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.