Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Bangkok Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Interested in what room, club access I can expect upgrade to as RA, and if club lounge is worth having/using here, or I should just take a good room upgrade and eat out?

I just booked a '1 KING BED GRANDE DELUXE' which seems to be the lowest category room here, using company rate, as company is flex rate and stay is a full month away.
2nights Thu-Sat on arrival and 1night Sat-Sun a week later when leaving.

Company rate only shows this room type, so if I need book a better room for a good RA upgrade, I'll have to book ADR instead
Old May 15, 2013, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Interested in what room, club access I can expect upgrade to as RA, and if club lounge is worth having/using here, or I should just take a good room upgrade and eat out?

I just booked a '1 KING BED GRANDE DELUXE' which seems to be the lowest category room here, using company rate, as company is flex rate and stay is a full month away.

Company rate only shows this room type, so if I need book a better room for a good RA upgrade, I'll have to book ADR instead
You will have the choice of club access or an upgrade to a corner suite without club access

Im not that fussed about lounge access and is not a replacement for having dinner in the evening though does offer breakfast
Old May 16, 2013, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards

When travelling alone on business and on 1-2 night stays I nearly always take club over suite (if I must choose) I like the IC BKK club a lot, the rooms are also big - last time there I snatched a (jr?) suite + club on the cheapest room.
Old May 16, 2013, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
When travelling alone on business and on 1-2 night stays I nearly always take club over suite (if I must choose) I like the IC BKK club a lot, the rooms are also big - last time there I snatched a (jr?) suite + club on the cheapest room.
I agree. Last time I took a suite and barely even used the sitting area. It has a fine club ^
Old May 17, 2013, 2:43 pm

Thank you for your advice based on your personal experiences at IC Bangkok.

As you replied that the RA upgrade is a Suite OR Lounge choice, with the hotel rooms being large and the lounge being good, I will stick with my earlier booked room type and choose club upgrade option if I have to make a choice at checkin time.
Old May 17, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA ex Plat, IC Plat , Hilton Diamond
Thank you for your advice based on your personal experiences at IC Bangkok.

As you replied that the RA upgrade is a Suite OR Lounge choice, with the hotel rooms being large and the lounge being good, I will stick with my earlier booked room type and choose club upgrade option if I have to make a choice at checkin time.
If you choose CLUV, you also get moved to the Club floor as well with the access....... This is from the lowest category.

Last edited by shawntobi; May 17, 2013 at 3:43 pm
Old May 17, 2013, 5:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by shawntobi
If you choose CLUV, you also get moved to the Club floor as well with the access....... This is from the lowest category.
There is no club floor. The same rooms are used for deluxe rooms and club deluxe rooms; the only difference is whether club access is provided
Old May 18, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by shawntobi
Unfortunately not always true (and as others her write, there is no dedicated Club floor). I have been put in "club rooms" at the 11th floor, even though they know I prefer a room on a higher floor.
Old May 18, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
There was a note on the desk when we checked in yesterday, that there is going to be a "political protest" close to the hotel today, and that staff are closely monitoring the situation. Google says its the 2 year anniversary of when the military fired on the red shirts and killed a lot of them. Action is scheduled from 2PM to midnight, although its only 8:30am and already the intersection at Central World is packed with red shirts and they've blocked off most traffic lanes going up that street. Should be interesting getting out of here tonight to the airport! At least we have an excellent view from our bedroom window.
Old May 18, 2013, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter
There was a note on the desk when we checked in yesterday, that there is going to be a "political protest" close to the hotel today, and that staff are closely monitoring the situation. Google says its the 2 year anniversary of when the military fired on the red shirts and killed a lot of them. Action is scheduled from 2PM to midnight, although its only 8:30am and already the intersection at Central World is packed with red shirts and they've blocked off most traffic lanes going up that street. Should be interesting getting out of here tonight to the airport! At least we have an excellent view from our bedroom window.
Happened last year. No incidents. The hotel staff are very good at managing these situations. Suggest not go down for sightseeing, just in case...
Old May 18, 2013, 10:04 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wan1dap
Happened last year. No incidents. The hotel staff are very good at managing these situations. Suggest not go down for sightseeing, just in case...
Yeah, probably right on that. I was considering going down for a looksee but decided against it.

Was graciously offered 6PM checkout by the club manager (our flight is at almost midnight) but it was strongly suggested that we leave sooner "just in case". Since we are on TG F and I want a massage, etc. we probably will do. It's just 11am here and the hoardes are quite amazing down there, not to mention the racket!
Old May 25, 2013, 4:56 pm

Question about IC Bangkok?
RA on points nights. Assuming no upgrade, no club?...
Do RA's get free internet, free minibar on points nights?
Eating out is easy/good/cheap in Asia and I read something recommending eating at HI next door anyway?

May stay 10nights at IC Bangkok, with 5x paid nights split over start/end of stay, + 5x points nights in middle (or even alternating the nights), would IC move me from upgraded room or remove lounge from those points nights, not allow free internet/free minibar?
Answer kind of affects whether I should use points here?

Question on IC Asiana Saigon?
AirAsia flights only euro150/rtn and I never visited Vietnam before and I could enjoy my 3 spare nights in Ho Chi Min/Saigon, Vietnam.
IC Asiana posts say Suite+Lounge on paid stays, Lounge only on Points, hoping minibar/internet RA privileges for points nights too?

Sorry about all my questions, I know where I am in my usual IC's ( Paid / Points nights get same good treatment), but I heard Asia hotels are often mean on points nights and in Asia I have only stayed in IC Manila to date (which is good on points).
Old May 25, 2013, 11:27 pm

Question about IC Bangkok?
RA on points nights. Assuming no upgrade, no club?...
Do RA's get free internet, free minibar on points nights?
Eating out is easy/good/cheap in Asia and I read something recommending eating at HI next door anyway?

May stay 10nights at IC Bangkok, with 5x paid nights split over start/end of stay, + 5x points nights in middle (or even alternating the nights), would IC move me from upgraded room or remove lounge from those points nights, not allow free internet/free minibar?
Answer kind of affects whether I should use points here?

Question on IC Asiana Saigon?
AirAsia flights only euro150/rtn and I never visited Vietnam before and I could enjoy my 3 spare nights in Ho Chi Min/Saigon, Vietnam.
IC Asiana posts say Suite+Lounge on paid stays, Lounge only on Points, hoping minibar/internet RA privileges for points nights too?

Sorry about all my questions, I know where I am in my usual IC's ( Paid / Points nights get same good treatment), but I heard Asia hotels are often mean on points nights and in Asia I have only stayed in IC Manila to date (which is good on points).
It is the wrong thread for the Asiana, but let me still answer your questions:
Saigon is a great place to spend a few days. You will need a visa for Vietnam which is a bit of a pain. Lots of airlines fly BKK-SGN, often TK has extremely good prices, also LH (not daily) or QR.
The Asiana is typically cheaper than the IC on BKK, why not spend your paid nights there. With the current problems in service and cutbacks at the IC BKK my preference would be the Asiana.
Old May 26, 2013, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
With the current problems in service and cutbacks at the IC BKK my preference would be the Asiana.
It's worth saying that some of us here, not just me, haven't seen any cutbacks in service or anything else at the IC BKK. I've stayed many times and my most recent stay was just as good as the previous ones. Not discounting your opinion, just saying that it is not universal.
Old May 26, 2013, 2:56 am

Programs: TK E+
Some reports either suite or club on paid stays, for non-regular visitors, but I always got both on my stays when I stayed there. I got the email address to the Guest Relation Manager there, if you want to check it up.

I prefer Asiana Saigon over IC BKK anytime, but that is obviously purely subjective.

To obtain a tourist visa to Vietnam is straight forward, can be done online, but will set you back. around U$65 for a single-entry visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.