Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC San Francisco Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2008, 12:33 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
I had a 'problem' like this at the newly opened IC in London earlier this year. I had booked an executive room, and got....an executive room. I was shown to my room and asked whether it would be possible to get an upgrade. The answer I received was that they only had to upgrade to 'an executive room OR suite' and as there were no higher room categories available, i couldn't have an upgrade and they were perfectly within their rights to do this. As it 1:30 pm, I told them that I wanted to cancel my reservation (on the Best Flex) and re-book a classic room to receive the 'upgrade' to the Exec room. This was met with an initial 'you can't do that' to, suddenly, when I asked to speak to the manager because they weren't letting me cancel and re-book, a SIGNATURE suite was allocated by the ?assistant duty manager? I was very pleased with the upgrade to a 'Luxury Suite', which was larger than a One Bed Suite. So, to cut a long story short, don't take NO for an answer.
Stories like this concerning the IC London are why I'm no longer booking there.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA slave, DL hostage, HGP tool, HH captive, SPG reject
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; PPC) Opera 8.65 [en])

Originally Posted by soccerboi25
I am currently at the Intercontinental for the weekend. I have ambassador status and booked a Jr. Suite with a flexible rate. I arrived at 12:30 PM to the ambassador check in and was told the room was not yet available. Inquired about any upgrades but was told the property was booked and the only jr suite available was on the 10th floor. I was told to come back at 3:00 PM for check in. Returned at 4:00 PM and again inquired about any upgrades. I was again told there were no upgrades available, I was offered a regular room on the 33rd floor or keep the jr suite on the 10th. (no credit in rate would be given) I opted for the jr suite. The view is lousy, I can see the roof of the spa and the building next to the hotel, I thought the whole purpose of the ambassador program was early check in and preferencial rooms
hmm i was there the same weekend, booked the same room, had the same status, yet I was upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite on the club floor. didn't get lounge access though, but I prefer the upgrade anyway.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Quick Questions

I will be RA by the end of the month and I am planning two stays at the hotel. One in late August and one in September.

1. If I stay in Aug (1st stay at hotel) will I still get club access when I stay in September?

2. If there are lets say 10 RAs at the hotel at a given time how does the hotel prioritize upgrades to the larger suites? Is it by who checks in first and asks for one?

3. If I want a upgrade to a large suite what rate shoud i book.

Keep in Mind I will be an Ambassador when I book but an RA at least 2 weeks before I arrive at the hotel.

Thanks
Ben
Old Aug 12, 2008, 2:56 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Benny8444
I will be RA by the end of the month and I am planning two stays at the hotel. One in late August and one in September.

Keep in Mind I will be an Ambassador when I book but an RA at least 2 weeks before I arrive at the hotel. Thanks
Ben
1. If I stay in Aug (1st stay at hotel) will I still get club access when I stay in September?
Club access is provided for Ambassadors through a postcard promotion that ends Sept. 2. You might be able to get it even without the postcard, but last time they wanted me to surrender the original. After Sept. 2, everyone (including RAs) pays for club access if not booking the club rate.

2. If there are lets say 10 RAs at the hotel at a given time how does the hotel prioritize upgrades to the larger suites? Is it by who checks in first and asks for one?
Checking in early and/or making your preferences known beforehand can help. Of course you may be assigned a temporary room until the preferred room becomes available around 5 or 6 p.m., after the previous RA or full-freight guest has checked out!

3. If I want a upgrade to a large suite what rate shoud i book.
Some have reported an UG from superior or deluxe to 1 BR suite, but it's less likely this fall, IMHO. In any case only the terrace, bay, or presidential suites beat the junior suite for views.

[
Old Aug 12, 2008, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Explore
You might be able to get it even without the postcard, but last time they wanted me to surrender the original. After Sept. 2, everyone (including RAs) pays for club access if not booking the club rate.
Are you sure about this? I haven't read any reviews of RA's not getting club access, so that seems strange. Also, did you hear from the hotel directly that they would be charging for club access starting September 2, or are you assuming?
Old Aug 13, 2008, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Are you sure about this? I haven't read any reviews of RA's not getting club access, so that seems strange. Also, did you hear from the hotel directly that they would be charging for club access starting September 2, or are you assuming?
Correct, no such reviews because club access is currently granted to Ambassadors and RAs no matter what room rate they book. I had heard that free club access would be coming to an end after the current promotion, but as of this morning the staff could not substantiate that. So we'll see...perhaps RAs will continue to enjoy access without booking a club room. That would certainly be a great perk.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
I am staying at the IC in SF at the end of August and it will be my first stay at any IC as and RA.

What are some tips to get the best possible room? and what rate should I book to get the best possible room via upgrade?

Also as an RA what does this hotel usually give as a welcome gift?

Thanks
Ben
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:41 am

Programs: PC Platinum, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Delta Gold, Avis First, Hertz Gold Plus, Glee Club, Yearbook
Originally Posted by Benny8444
I am staying at the IC in SF at the end of August and it will be my first stay at any IC as and RA.

What are some tips to get the best possible room? and what rate should I book to get the best possible room via upgrade?

Thanks
Ben
Not being an Ambassador, I cannot speak to the specifics, but I did receive the Jr (not-really-a) Executive Suite corner room after reserving a Deluxe room just by e-mailing the hotel, giving them my reservation dates and asking whether they upgrade Platinum PC members.

I received an e-mail from the reservations manager the next day confirming the upgrade and describing the kind of room I would get.

I think the best thing to do would be to send a brief e-mail ([email protected]), specify your stay dates, your reservation (and floor if mentioned in your reservation), and any preferences you have in rooms -- whether you prefer higher floors to corner rooms or bay vs. city views of San Francisco.

The ICSF reservations manager was very pleasant and proactive to deal with.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 9:55 pm

Just came back from the Labor Day weekend there. Honestly? Very average.
"Junior suite" is not a suite, it's a larger room with a view. A/C is really bad,
goes down to 65, which is a cheat, it was never 65 and constantly on -
very noisy. The view is great.
The club is very small, a limited breakfast can be very busy. Good service.
If somebody is looking for an experience in San Francisco - go to
Mark Hopkins. It's not even close. Mark Hopkins is a hotel with character,
amazing lobby and if you get a suite - it's a real suite. Highly recommend
a corner one on 17th floor, amazing view, you feel like taken back in time.
IC SF is just a modern hotel close to a convention center. Nothing more.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by Big_Foot
"Junior suite" is not a suite, it's a larger room with a view. A/C is really bad,
I've just booked three nights here (one paid, one BOGOF and one points) and after reading the room reviews just went for a "standard" room.
From what I've read I get the same impression that it is just a 'nice' business style hotel but then most Intercontinetal's are, the difference here seems to be that the room upgrades although plentiful do not seem to offer a dramatic difference from the lower rooms, will post my experience after staying (late Sept)
Old Sep 2, 2008, 4:26 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, AC SE, UA 1K, IC Plat A
Originally Posted by crow99
I've just booked three nights here (one paid, one BOGOF and one points) and after reading the room reviews just went for a "standard" room.
From what I've read I get the same impression that it is just a 'nice' business style hotel but then most Intercontinetal's are, the difference here seems to be that the room upgrades although plentiful do not seem to offer a dramatic difference from the lower rooms, will post my experience after staying (late Sept)
stayed there many times in this property. Upgrade = no upgrade. Location is average. Watch out there are bumps. late at night near the hotel.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by g7mcmug
stayed there many times in this property. Upgrade = no upgrade. Location is average. Watch out there are bumps. late at night near the hotel.
That was my thoughts on the upgrade
What are bumps?? Is that pick pockets?
Old Sep 3, 2008, 8:56 am

IC SF is on the corner of the 5th and Howard. If you walk down Howard,
you pass by Moscone and a really nice park and you get to 3rd street
and the Museum of Modern Art. Great area.
But if you walk up to 6th street (one block), you are right in one of the
worst neighbourhoods of SF, 6th, 7th, it's really terrible there.
If you turn right and walk up to Turk Street, you are in the worst place in SF.
So stay on 5th and walk straight up to Union Square.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:34 am

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, SWA A+, SPG Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by Big_Foot
It's strange, but I had exactly the opposite opinion. We went to SF for our anniversary, stayed 2 nights at the IC SF, and one at MH.

The IC SF gave us club access (may not apply anymore), a large room with a large bathroom, LCD TV, floor to ceiling windows, etc. Very well stocked minibar.

In contrast, on our actual anniversary night we stayed at the MH. I did get a kick out of getting a much higher room than the couple in the Bentley ahead of us, but the room was very small compared to the IC SF, had an old TV, small minibar, and very small bathroom. It was right behind the old, loud elevators, which is never good. Top of the Mark is always nice, but we could have gone there if we weren't staying at the MH.

In all, MH felt very old. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer the new feel of IC SF over an old "fancy" looking place. I do like the Nob Hill area, but if you're on foot it has its drawbacks too.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 2:46 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
I don't know, if it is posted already, but there exists a special CA resident deal

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=855323

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.