Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC San Francisco Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2008, 8:27 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by soccerboi25
I am currently at the Intercontinental for the weekend. I have ambassador status and booked a Jr. Suite with a flexible rate. I arrived at 12:30 PM to the ambassador check in and was told the room was not yet available. Inquired about any upgrades but was told the property was booked and the only jr suite available was on the 10th floor. I was told to come back at 3:00 PM for check in. Returned at 4:00 PM and again inquired about any upgrades. I was again told there were no upgrades available, I was offered a regular room on the 33rd floor or keep the jr suite on the 10th. (no credit in rate would be given) I opted for the jr suite. The view is lousy, I can see the roof of the spa and the building next to the hotel, I thought the whole purpose of the ambassador program was early check in and preferencial rooms
Sorry to hear your stay has not met your expectations. If I recall correctly you had a previous stay which was very good. I remember because your comments influenced my decision to stay. ^

As to your two comments, the Ambassador level member is not entitle to an early check-in. That's a Royal Ambassador benefit. They asked you to come back at 3.00pm and that is their normal check-in time so I don't think you can validly complain.

On the other hand, an upgrade should be expected by an Ambassador. If their planning is such that they have not left open an appropriate room for that upgrade, and it can happen of course for all sorts of reasons, I would think that it would be reasonable to expect something in return. Obvious thing is a discount on the rate back to the next lowest level. Of course, that may be substantially higher than when you booked but they should never the less do something of substance. If they do not, and have offered you a lower graded room without discount, I would not let it spoil my stay but certainly be seeking points compensation from the Ambassador Desk.

I have the feeling that you have beeen dealing with someone who doesn't fully know the "rules". Good luck with you stay and did they give you club access?
Old Jul 26, 2008, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by turtlemichael
Sorry to hear your stay has not met your expectations. If I recall correctly you had a previous stay which was very good. I remember because your comments influenced my decision to stay. ^

As to your two comments, the Ambassador level member is not entitle to an early check-in. That's a Royal Ambassador benefit. They asked you to come back at 3.00pm and that is their normal check-in time so I don't think you can validly complain.

On the other hand, an upgrade should be expected by an Ambassador. If their planning is such that they have not left open an appropriate room for that upgrade, and it can happen of course for all sorts of reasons, I would think that it would be reasonable to expect something in return. Obvious thing is a discount on the rate back to the next lowest level. Of course, that may be substantially higher than when you booked but they should never the less do something of substance. If they do not, and have offered you a lower graded room without discount, I would not let it spoil my stay but certainly be seeking points compensation from the Ambassador Desk.

I have the feeling that you have beeen dealing with someone who doesn't fully know the "rules". Good luck with you stay and did they give you club access?
It hasn't spoiled my stay, I was a bit I guess dissapointed. And yes you are correct, my last stay was great. Perhaps I was expecting the same this time. I checked in at the ambassador desk, so I would think the person behind the desk knows the rules of the program. She just stated that they were booked solid and had nowhere else to put me. I also could not receive club access since I received it on my prior stay.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I had a 'problem' like this at the newly opened IC in London earlier this year. I had booked an executive room, and got....an executive room. I was shown to my room and asked whether it would be possible to get an upgrade. The answer I received was that they only had to upgrade to 'an executive room OR suite' and as there were no higher room categories available, i couldn't have an upgrade and they were perfectly within their rights to do this. As it 1:30 pm, I told them that I wanted to cancel my reservation (on the Best Flex) and re-book a classic room to receive the 'upgrade' to the Exec room. This was met with an initial 'you can't do that' to, suddenly, when I asked to speak to the manager because they weren't letting me cancel and re-book, a SIGNATURE suite was allocated by the ?assistant duty manager? I was very pleased with the upgrade to a 'Luxury Suite', which was larger than a One Bed Suite. So, to cut a long story short, don't take NO for an answer.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 5:25 pm

Programs: PC Platinum, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Delta Gold, Avis First, Hertz Gold Plus, Glee Club, Yearbook
One more thing: The IC-SF staff told me over the phone that a free movie was a Platinum benefit. I just checked my bill and was charged for the movie. I mean, I liked In Bruges well enough, but I wouldn't have ordered it if I had to pay for it.

So, while it's a great hotel with good rooms and great staff, keep printouts and don't be hesitant about double-checking promises and reservations.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:02 pm

Bringing a print out of any promise or offer is great advice. The July newsletter offered a $15 drink credit at IC SF Bar 888. Came in handy when I was waiting for a friend to meet. Upon check out, the staff had no idea what I was talking about. When I showed them the print out, they looked very surprised and asked to keep it as back up.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fsa_ea
Ambassdors generally do not receive suite upgrades. Suites are typically reserved for the Royal Amabassadors. However, since you are paying for a Jr. Suite, you may recevie an upgrade to a better suite.

You will likely get free club if this is your first visit to this new hotel. They are running a promo through early September for first time guests. After this promotion ends, you will have to pay for club access. This is also true for Royal Ambassadors.
Re: Promo. Is there an end date in Sept (my planned stay is 6th-9th Sept)? Do I need a special code/link/e-mail or will a just booking a standard room do?

Cheers

PS. I will be an RA by then.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 2:31 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Sorry for bumping this thread but I'd like to follow up the question of my previous poster...

I'll be staying in SF in late August and decided to give the IC a try as a first time guest (Royal Ambassador). So I just wanted to ask if it's likely that club access of the ongoing promotion will be granted despite not having received this offer card?

And what's the most likely room one will get when booking a standard room? Executive Room or Junior Suite?
Old Aug 4, 2008, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, as an RA you're most likely to get a junior suite (maybe even better) and club access, even without the card.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Yes, as an RA you're most likely to get a junior suite (maybe even better) and club access, even without the card.
Can confirm that. On a one night stay at the end of last week I was upgraded from a standard room at the travelzoo rate to a one bedroom king suite with club access. That room was racking in the high $800's so it was a good upgrade. This was our second stay.

I was a little diappointed in the room however. Apart from very dirty windows which appeared to have been a target range for passing birds, its furnishing lacked style and class. In fact, I preferrred the junior suite of the previous stay. But these are small quibbles and overall it was a very pleasant stay.

The club seems to have very low patronage on both my stays. The hotel is getting, as you'd expect, a lot of convention traffic so the lobby at times ressembled a bargain basement at sale time.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 2:09 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
The club seems to have very low patronage on both my stays. The hotel is getting, as you'd expect, a lot of convention traffic so the lobby at times ressembled a bargain basement at sale time.
Agree. I was there yesterday from about 15:30 to 17:30. There was a total of about 5 people (including ourselves 2), in the club lounge.

I definitely prefer this hotel over the MH. I got the Junior Suite and the service was FANTASTIC. Especially the two lovely ladies in the morning at the lounge.

FWIW, I was told from one of the staff that the MH is up sale. It is uncertain at the moment whether or not Intercontinental will be retained to manage the property.

Also, I walked by the old CP by Union Square and it's no longer a CP. It's now called hotel 4(80) or something like that.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 1:57 am

travelzoo rate .
Does that rate count as a "qualifying stay" and hence earn points?
Old Aug 5, 2008, 5:09 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by rupert_s
Does that rate count as a "qualifying stay" and hence earn points?
no !!
Old Aug 5, 2008, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by szg
no !!
Cheers - thought as much!
Old Aug 6, 2008, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by szg
no !!
Wrong. The night has posted as qualifying with full points. ^ Indeed, this is the experience of others earlier in this thread. The member terms and conditions also do not give any reason to exclude the travelzoo rate.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 7:04 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Wrong. The night has posted as qualifying with full points. ^ Indeed, this is the experience of others earlier in this thread. The member terms and conditions also do not give any reason to exclude the travelzoo rate.
This works sometimes, because with an upgrade sometimes the rate will be changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.