Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Program Update March 2022

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2022, 3:48 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
For someone that stays a lot, and therefore is diamond with several selections of different benefits, they will have fundamentally very similar benefits as the select group that are currently RA, but without having the requirement to have stayed at all in ICs. Looks to me like this change heralds the demise of RA .
Old Apr 13, 2022, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tangey
For someone that stays a lot, and therefore is diamond with several selections of different benefits, they will have fundamentally very similar benefits as the select group that are currently RA, but without having the requirement to have stayed at all in ICs. Looks to me like this change heralds the demise of RA .
If Kimpton and IC are truly on board with this, then you're right.

But if we are still talking about invitation-only programs in a year or two, then the desirable brands probably haven't been treating Diamonds any better than they currently treat Spires. (hit and miss, to be generous...)
Old Apr 13, 2022, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I just got the IHG One email from IHG...

YOU'RE NOW DIAMOND ELITE.
WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?
100% bonus earn
Earn points toward Reward Nights
NEW! Reward Night discounts
NEW! Welcome amenity
NEW! Dedicated Diamond Support
Complimentary room upgrades (subject to availability)
Early check-in and late check-out
Your new status and bonus earn go into effect tomorrow and will be reflected in your account by April 17. All your new tier benefits begin in early June.

So now I know I officially know about the program. I wonder when the hotels will find out?

And when they find out, what will the hotel strategy for managing the demand for suites? Especially hotels that will get a lot of Diamond members staying at the same time?

And how will IC's, Regents, Kimpton's and the like deal with this? Do RA/Inner Circle members get the suites before Diamond?
Raynyan and FFlash like this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by stimpy

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?
100% bonus earn
NEW! Welcome amenity
Your new status and bonus earn go into effect tomorrow and will be reflected in your account by April 17. All your new tier benefits begin in early June.

So now I know I officially know about the program. I wonder when the hotels will find out?

And when they find out, what will the hotel strategy for managing the demand for suites? Especially hotels that will get a lot of Diamond members staying at the same time?

And how will IC's, Regents, Kimpton's and the like deal with this? Do RA/Inner Circle members get the suites before Diamond?
Yep me too .... no mention of RA but I guess that's same as before. Can't see much so different in terms of how it impacts RA's really. Can't see so much that affects anyone really bar breakfast for Diamond.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 6:59 am

Given the influx of people who have/will become entitled to lounge access as a result of this change, I think the quality of lounges at key ICs are at a significant risk of a fairly steep nose dive. Thinking of it, smaller lounges may not even be physically big enough to accommodate everyone who is now eligible for access.

If this happens, then it will be a double whammy for the hotels as people who previously used to pay for lounge access may stop doing so on account of lower quality offerings and/or crowdedness, so that it becomes essentially just a status lounge, prompting a further decline in the quality of offerings.
mster likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 7:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Pretty solid, I'm surprised.

I can generally direct my IHG stays to hotels that (a) have a lounge or (b) offer breakfast to everyone in the hotel (HIX, etc.). Effectively makes 40 nights the meaningful elite mark, which is pretty reasonable. Only gap in my recent stays would be Kimpton, but those hotels have hollowed out their services so much that I'm going to avoid them in general going forward.
mster and FFlash like this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by stimpy

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?
100% bonus earn
NEW! Welcome amenity

Got same mail now too.
App not updated yet. Perhaps tomorrow then
Old Apr 13, 2022, 7:19 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by Atacama40
Yep me too .... no mention of RA but I guess that's same as before. Can't see much so different in terms of how it impacts RA's really. Can't see so much that affects anyone really bar breakfast for Diamond.
RA need extensive stays in ICs to be invited. Primary benefits are lounge access and upgrades.

New diamond get immediate free hot breakfast for 2. After 40 nights in ANY IHG hotels, they get lounge access for year+
There are going to be many many more in the lounges that are 40+ night diamonds, than are RA, so expect lounges to be busier as the first impact.

Heavy stayers can get up to 4 x 5 night confirmed upgrades, and other "subject to availablilty". So not the same as double upgrade for RA. Other differences are the enhanced early check in/ late checkout and minibar amenity. However the lines are blurring, and are they enough for IHG to keep and administer the RA program, and attempt to differentiate from the diamond benefit. RA either need more daylight, or alternatively they might just drop it.

RA has never been highly promoted in the past, so can't read too much into the fact that it was not mentioned in todays PR.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: IHG SpireAmb, HH Diamond, OW Sapphire.
As a relatively new customer of IHG (previously staying at mainly Hilton family hotels) I think the new program seems to offer some good upgrades over the past.

I agree that it may mean lounges get worse over time as they are busier. Some hotels seem to have closed them completely after the pandemic which is a shame.

I am wondering whether those who have more than 20 nights this year already will get their suite upgrade benefit or whether they will have to get to 40 nights to get one. Also whether "junior" or "studio" suites will count I'm guessing they will. I wonder if we will know in advance what kind of suite is confirmed and whether a decision can be made after this information is available?
Old Apr 13, 2022, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I have already had over 40 nights this year so I hope to be able to claim all the F&B credits and lounge access for stays earlier this year. If it does not appear I shall contact the new Diamond helpline to get the benefits but reading in the small print it does seem to imply it will be available to those already eligible.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Neilgcal
I have already had over 40 nights this year so I hope to be able to claim all the F&B credits and lounge access for stays earlier this year. If it does not appear I shall contact the new Diamond helpline to get the benefits but reading in the small print it does seem to imply it will be available to those already eligible.
These benefits only kick in in June

You aren't going to get any credit for these benefits for stays that happenesd before the new scheme starts.
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
These benefits only kick in in June

You aren't going to get any credit for these benefits for stays that happenesd before the new scheme starts.
T&Cs state 1 Jan 22 for milestone rewards:

Beginning 01 January 2022, Members may earn Milestone Rewards on Elite Qualifying Nights within the calendar year.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tatankar
I agree that it may mean lounges get worse over time as they are busier. Some hotels seem to have closed them completely after the pandemic which is a shame.
It will be interesting to see what happens when a person who has elected Lounge Access as their 40 night benefit stays at a brand that typically has lounges, but that property has discontinued their lounge. Do they then get breakfast for 2 in the restaurant? Or are they SOL?

With Hilton, the Diamond member would get the restaurant breakfast - which can sometimes be better or worse than a lounge breakfast.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
I think new system benefits also RAs. They can also get now lounge access and breakfast in non-IC hotels. Ambassadors will be still getting 4pm late check-out while for usual Diamonds it would be 2pm.

I think IHG maybe sees that it's better to have one programme instead of several. Or at least merge Inner Circle and RA together into one. New spend/night requirements bring in better clarity as well how to qualify.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: IHG SpireAmb, HH Diamond, OW Sapphire.
Originally Posted by pinniped
It will be interesting to see what happens when a person who has elected Lounge Access as their 40 night benefit stays at a brand that typically has lounges, but that property has discontinued their lounge. Do they then get breakfast for 2 in the restaurant? Or are they SOL?

With Hilton, the Diamond member would get the restaurant breakfast - which can sometimes be better or worse than a lounge breakfast.
It sounds like IHG Diamonds will get full breakfast as a welcome benefit so I doubt there will be any alternative offered which is a shame. Breakfast is a good upgrade over the old program however (not for RA).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.