Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Program Update March 2022

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2022, 2:50 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
So, as a Diamond, do you get breakfast, lounge access, or both?

Old Apr 14, 2022, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kalboz
So, as a Diamond, do you get breakfast, lounge access, or both?

my read is breakfast as a Diamond but lounge only when you hit 40 nights and selects lounge pass as the threshold gift.
Kalboz and mster like this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
And breakfast is free for 2 guests? Or can a hotel just kick back $10/person like Hilton is doing in the US, and call that breakfast benefit
Old Apr 14, 2022, 7:13 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Dropping the 4PM check out is the biggest negative for me. That was the one benefit that actually had some value. No way I would spend $12,000/year at IHG hotels and then have to negotiate a late check out up to 2PM every time. The milestone benefits are pretty good but there are just not enough properties--especially in the US that have lounges. Hopefully the breakfast amenity in lieu of points will be a step up from the nearly inedible low quality offerings at the HIX properties Also there are an unspecified number of Kimptons that won't provide breakfast. What about waived amenity fees? Those are a huge negative for me and I try to avoid any property that charges them.
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
100%. Guaranteed 4pm checkout is worth far more than any free breakfast or lounge access to me and is why Marriott gets almost all of my stays. These changes overall are very positive but I’m still no more likely to stay at non-IC hotels where I still probably have to fight just to get a 2pm check out unless I know I’ll be leaving early.
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Personally, I don't share the discontent around the lack of 4pm checkout.
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
When has 4pm been the standard for late checkout other than if you have AMB at an IC or Inner Circle at a Kimpton?

I've only ever been offered 2PM at Kimptons / HIs and CPs as a Spire
Yeah, I think people are confused. 4pm check-out is an AMB benefit only applicable to ICs. It has nothing to do with Plat or Spire. In this aspect, nothing is being taken way.

What I am not sure about is early check-in. Previously, Spire élite members get 10am early check-in subject to availability. The "10am" part is no longer mentioned. Even if a hotel has availability, can they now say they only offer 1pm early check-in, for example?
Old Apr 14, 2022, 7:15 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by pbd456
It seems that 40 nights diamond is comparable to 60 nights Hyatt globalist.
Well IHG Diamond is worlds better than IHG Spire no doubt, but it still falls considerably short of Hyatt Globalist in a number of ways:

1. With Hyatt Globalist 60 nights we earn 4 upgrade vouchers 7 nights each, so total 28 nights in a suite maximum. With IHG at 40 nights you only get 2 suite upgrade vouchers at 5 nights each max, so 10 nights.
2. Hyatt suite upgrades can be confirmed at time of booking, IHG is only 14 days before the stay. Big difference to me.
3. Hyatt check-out 4pm guaranteed, IHG 2pm which is a bit weak.
4. Hyatt upgrades stays on points, IHG we will have to rely on generosity of individual properties because the T&Cs say they don't have to, unlike cash stays.
5. Hyatt waives resort fees for Globalists if I recall correctly. IHG I guess not, at least not that I am aware of.

Breakfast and lounge access is where both programs seem to be more or less equivalent now, but in my book Hyatt remains superior.
Markie, SPN Lifer and sobore like this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 7:44 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MathMusic
Pick up the IHG Premier card for $99 fee you get Plat Status. Plus a free night every year when you pay the AF. Everyone who stays at IHG properties regularly should really have that card, so many perks including fourth night free on award stays.
I totally agree.

I see on the Platium Benefits list there is this for Plats and Diamonds, but I am not sure what it means. I checked some rates and didn't see any labeled discount:
NEW Reward Night Discounts
Old Apr 14, 2022, 7:47 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I question what the implementation of late check out upon “availability” will be since they say it’s for all members… so unless properties distinguish between levels (which many fail to do these days in the US)… its just not going to happen.

Extending “suite upgrades” to Platinum members is likely to also not end up being a thing in the US when so many people have the credit card. Just ask how many Hilton Gold members (similarly granted through a credit card with an under $100 AF) have gotten suite upgrades in the US.

As a Spire, aside from Kimpton and ICs, I’m rarely greeted in the US as a Spire… usually I’m just welcomed and thanked for being a “member”. I do question whether this new “training” IHG has advertised will really do anything at the average CP or HI
Old Apr 15, 2022, 12:27 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Wonder what the reward night discount will be whether it would stack with credit card benefits, my guess is no.

Comparing to Hyatt Globalists. 40 nights diamond is easier than 60 nights Globalists.
How is the footprint for IHG (with lounges) comparing to Hyatt (with lounges)?
There are probably more cheaper IHG hotels for the purpose of mattress running

Last edited by pbd456; Apr 15, 2022 at 4:45 am
Old Apr 15, 2022, 5:13 am

Programs: Various memberships
Originally Posted by tom tulpe
Given that points for up to 9 rooms per night can be credited, I'd rather book 9 el cheapo HIX rooms with a 3000 bonus points package. Faster and without the inconvenience of a mattress run.
So the bonus points for all rooms get credited for status?

I know the nights wouldn't (based on experience).

Thanks

TE
Old Apr 15, 2022, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by myperks
my read is breakfast as a Diamond but lounge only when you hit 40 nights and selects lounge pass as the threshold gift.
As a Hyatt Globalist my experience with US properties with lounges is that the lounges are often of poor quality and offered primarily as a cost control measure to avoid providing full restaurant breakfast to Globalists.

Do you think IHG properties with lounges will deny Diamond restaurant breakfast benefit *if* you also have 40/70 night annual lounge membership by requiring you to take breakfast in the lounge instead?
Old Apr 15, 2022, 12:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond
Similar Issue

Originally Posted by mster
Same experience, but on nights not points. Had Spire valid through 12/31/2023 (> 55 nights & < 70 nights) now showing Diamond only valid through 12/31/2022.
I had > 55k points on 2 April 2022 before the scheme was updated. I had reached the required level to re-qualify for 2023. IHG are now claiming that I'm not entitled to re-qualify for Diamond in 2023 as I need to achieve 120,000 points. I've emailed them screenshots of my re-qualification - see what happens!
Old Apr 15, 2022, 12:40 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by greggrant
I had > 55k points on 2 April 2022 before the scheme was updated. I had reached the required level to re-qualify for 2023. ...
I know a lot of people saw their expiration date update, but was it ever official/published that one could re-qualify at the lower number before the program switch?
Old Apr 15, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by pbd456
Wonder what the reward night discount will be whether it would stack with credit card benefits, my guess is no.

Comparing to Hyatt Globalists. 40 nights diamond is easier than 60 nights Globalists.
How is the footprint for IHG (with lounges) comparing to Hyatt (with lounges)?
There are probably more cheaper IHG hotels for the purpose of mattress running
During the recent 20% off award stays promotion, neither the Select's 10% rebate or the Premier's fourth-night free was supposed to work, and it appears that IHG ran that promotion as a trial for this new benefit. I'd expect no stacking, which means that this benefit will not give CC holders any reason to use it.

By the way, given IHG's propensity to find multiple revenue streams when offering benefits and the structure of this new program, it seems to me that either a super-premium credit card, like the Hilton Aspire, or a continuation of the unofficial top tier membership level through the purchase of Ambassador, probably at a cost increase from the current $200, that would allow the effective purchase of Diamond status could be on the way. Since so many of the extra benefits come through the accumulation of actual stays as opposed to spend, IHG could justify the increased revenue without giving away the entire bundle of benefits.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 7:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
During the recent 20% off award stays promotion, neither the Select's 10% rebate or the Premier's fourth-night free was supposed to work, and it appears that IHG ran that promotion as a trial for this new benefit. I'd expect no stacking, which means that this benefit will not give CC holders any reason to use it.
That makes sense. Still, 20% off is a nice option to have always available (if that is what it ends up being) and beats the 10% rebate of Select. It also makes it tempting to aim for stays shorter than 4 nights.

By the way, given IHG's propensity to find multiple revenue streams when offering benefits and the structure of this new program, it seems to me that either a super-premium credit card, like the Hilton Aspire, or a continuation of the unofficial top tier membership level through the purchase of Ambassador, probably at a cost increase from the current $200, that would allow the effective purchase of Diamond status could be on the way. Since so many of the extra benefits come through the accumulation of actual stays as opposed to spend, IHG could justify the increased revenue without giving away the entire bundle of benefits.
Diamond is more valuable than Ambassador since the latter is only good at IC. Then again, most (all?) of the lounges are IC.

I could see a high-end card adding qualifying nights as a perk (similar to Bonvoy).

There are a lot of IHG properties in the $50-$100 range outside of the USA. Not that many under Hyatt or Bonvoy.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 11:45 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver

The 10% discount is added back to the account a month later after staying, are you sure that it wont stack? i thought the 10% rebate is for any usage of points (including redeeming for gift cards)

A higher end card without the lounge benefits wouldnt be worthy, in my opinion. A higher end cards with elite number attach like 15 nights would be worthy for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.