Link to hotel:
https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...cp/hoteldetail

Link to location:
Google Maps

Next tube / subway station:
Placa dEspanya

Older post of this hotel:
Pre-Opening Thread

This is the former Crowne Plaza, which has had its own master thread, (now closed)

Royal Ambassador Experiences
October 2021 by Mister D
October 2021 by Nicolas75
January 2022 by Nicolas 75
April 22 by VaBeachGirl
June 22 by boekel
June 22 by GordonMacPherson
July 22 by Nicolas 75
August 22 by Nicolas 75
August 22 by boekel
November 22 by stimpy

Ambassador Experiences
Print Wikipost

InterContinental Barcelona Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2024, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Had a short notice change of plans, and looking to change a destination to Barcelona. Perhaps due to lack of lead time, rates in Barcelona are on the high side. However, the Intercontintal is about $150 less per night than a king bed elsewhere.

Top tier status with 3 other chains but only platinum here. In the past, I've joined Ambassador opportunistically right before a stay.

The rooms are appealing here, but it's hard to see the difference between the King Classic and the King Classic with Sofa Bed. They both are pictured with a couch and the same square footage.

What would be the Ambassador upgrade path from a King Classic with sofa bed? Any other benefits available other than the $20 bar credit?

As platinum elite, I would get an upgrade based on availability, guaranteed upgrade with Ambassador doesn't seem worth joining if it won't result in a materially better room.

(My major reluctance to join now is timing of the Ambassador weekend night - I would likely not use it within the next 12 months but would a little later next year).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by beachfan; May 9, 2024 at 4:40 pm
Old May 8, 2024, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by nicolas75
Are we speaking of the same hotel?

Tickets by Ferran Adri, one of the most fabulous restaurants in Barcelona, is just 4 minutes walk from the hotel.

Paka by chef Albert Adr is a fabulous fusion restaurant. 2 minutes walk from the hotel.

Bodega is an impressive restaurant with South American influence. 5 minutes walk from the hotel.

Enigma, by chef Albert Adri, is considered as one of the most creative restaurants in town.

Let’s hope they will reopen after the Covid crisis!

Bodega Amposta serve delicious tapas in a friendly place. 10 minutes walk from the hotel.

Taberna Noreste offers creative cuisine by chefs Javir San Vicente et David Lpez in a friendly atmosphere. 7 minutes walk from the hotel.

Quimet & Quimet serves great tapas. 13 minutes walk from the hotel.

Are any of these still open? If not, other close suggestions?

ETA it seems like most aren't but Enigma is. Tickets is now Teatro in that location.

Anyone eat at Quirat, in the hotel (one Michelin star)?

ETA Oops, a few posters have including the estimable HadesNL. So it must be very good. Prices a bit higher than last year but too convenient to pass up. And there are several good options to dine nearby, unfortunately as this is a last minute booking, I'm on the wait list for a couple. But looking forward to Teatro.

Last edited by beachfan; May 9, 2024 at 4:48 pm
Old May 9, 2024, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
I had dinner there like a month ago and was more than happy with it. The shorter menu (iirc they call it 18K) was absolutely sufficient and the wine pairing was really nice while still reasonably priced.

​​​
Old May 9, 2024, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle

Pictures of the (great) 24k menu
HadesNL likes this.
Old May 9, 2024, 8:56 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
ETA Oops, a few posters have including the estimable HadesNL.
So it must be very good.
Prices a bit higher than last year but too convenient to pass up.
And there are several good options to dine nearby, unfortunately as this is a last minute booking, I'm on the wait list for a couple. But looking forward to Teatro.
I humbly accept your merit award as heirloom.
You can't beat the sheer ease of Quirat for a tasty dining experience by just exiting one's own elevator and it earns EQP so it takes the sting out of the bil....,
For ladies who like to dress up, it is even more sheer ease, even better right !
Nicolas has a more developed taste in gastronomic delights but i myself, found the explaination and use of local Catalan elements & ingredients,
an interesting insight in the Catalan region's unique identity and developed heritage produce.
Honestly Mother and I know absolutely nothing about this part of the world and it was an eye opener.

The other recommendations are all interesting,
bear in mind as we are in Southern Europe,
people dine late, later, latest... so plan accordingly in timing for reservations....
A lot of people tend to gravitate to enter the restaurants around 20.00 / 20.30 / 21.00 which can create a backlog in food being prepared & served.
to pre emptive the crowds, better to be on the dot at 19,30 and place your orders before the crowds get in as service might come to a complete standstill and one feels peckish enough to munch on one's own fingers .... (experience traveling with picky eaters)

About your question about the upgrade chain from
Classic KING with sofabed

I had a look, actually triple look ....because they renamed the room & suites categories ...
(argh, i need to redo my scribble in my notebook)

so the secret technique of darkness is this...

This hotel has a lot of classic rooms.... divided in
- classic (can be the view on a brick wall / lowest floor)
- classic city view (view on street)
- classic garden view (quiet
- classic castle view (higher)

The lazy answer is:
they can upgrade you in a room with a view ....

The analytical answer is:
if one books "Classic KING with sofabed" with 3 occupancy,
and one has AMB : cat+1
the hotel will gravitate first to upgrade into 1 bedroom suite balcony
- because this room type officially also holds 3 persons
- same bed type : king + collapsable sofa

it will not upgrade into the 1 bedroom suite (the one without balcony)
- the sofa there is not collapsable
- there is no room to fit an extra bed in
- occupancy is impossible for 3

However as you are travelling with Mrs. B only,
it will be 2 persons as occupancy
and you 'could "get via AMB cat+1 upgraded into this room...

i mention "could"
this hotel tends to prefer to rather upgrade those in paid KING Club rooms
(as it is internally considered a catagory higher than KING with sofabed room)
into the 1 bedroom suite (no balcony edition)

BUT

There is a new addition
"upgraded classic with lounge access"

Which just boggles my mind in how it all fits in my notes of observation ....

Call it Jung or Freud, i have no idea ...
Just like Mrs. Clackett, who doesn't know if its Christmas or Cleveland....
Hope at least it gives some insight in the hotel's psyche ....

Last edited by HadesNL; May 9, 2024 at 9:38 pm
Old May 9, 2024, 11:06 pm

Dining late plus the plethora of 15 course tasting menus at the top places is too challenging for me these days.

thanks for the tip, my booking is at 8 but Ill go up at 7:45.
HadesNL likes this.
Old May 18, 2024, 3:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Apologies if I've missed this up thread (searched, but not found the answer) - does anyone have experience purchasing Club InterContinental access at this property during an award stay? Is it possible, and if so how much is the nightly charge? (Per person, or per room?)

Many thanks.
Old May 18, 2024, 7:36 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Best is to email them, it can vary per season & occupancy
berkshirebound likes this.
Old May 18, 2024, 1:05 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, IC Amb
How did I know I would find HadesNL in this thread, too????

We just booked a trip to Barcelona for January and obviously we will consider this hotel!

First trip to BCN! (I have been to Ibiza a few times, though, hahahahahahah)
HadesNL likes this.
Old May 20, 2024, 12:06 am

I can report that Quirat was excellent and worthy of its star.

however, they were initially difficult with a dietary substitution (offering only vegetable congee instead of wagyu). Hotel management sorted it out for me.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 11:33 pm

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
We just booked this hotel, as the prices seemed more reasonable than the area around the Kimpton. The pictures are super helpful, but does anyone know if the spa pool, facilities can only be accessed at a cost, or with a service?

EDIT - looks like it is free for RA, so looks like at cost for everyone else. Thanks!

Last edited by patchan8984; Jun 10, 2024 at 11:56 pm
Old Jun 11, 2024, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by patchan8984
We just booked this hotel, as the prices seemed more reasonable than the area around the Kimpton. The pictures are super helpful, but does anyone know if the spa pool, facilities can only be accessed at a cost, or with a service?

EDIT - looks like it is free for RA, so looks like at cost for everyone else. Thanks!
Also free for globalist
Old Jun 11, 2024, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by patchan8984

This place is a pricing nightmare but good you found good prices .... last year it was extortionate bar early year.

Spa is free and quite nice as it goes. A bit weirdly located by meeting rooms and a lot of loose tiles in the pool given it's still a nearly new IC. But nice enough all the same and the lady running it is lovely.

Lounge has been excellent in our experience a few times. But equally I've heard from others who have found it far less so. It seems when footy teams land, the hotel is very short staffed and club users are low down the running, service and product wise when this occurs. A big shame as when it is staffed correctly it's been a joy .... evening and breakfast. Same goes for the cocktail bar. They are very good but stretched way too far.

Front door and concierge staff are very very good. In short a nice hotel, well run but stretched way to far and means the experience can range from first class to very meh. Fortunately I've been in the former group each time, very much so. But others (who know the world and can judge it accordingly) have seen a far less impressive product. I hope in are in the same group as I've been fortunate enough to be.
HadesNL likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2024, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Atacama40
This place is a pricing nightmare but good you found good prices .... last year it was extortionate bar early year.

Spa is free and quite nice as it goes. A bit weirdly located by meeting rooms and a lot of loose tiles in the pool given it's still a nearly new IC. But nice enough all the same and the lady running it is lovely.

Lounge has been excellent in our experience a few times. But equally I've heard from others who have found it far less so. It seems when footy teams land, the hotel is very short staffed and club users are low down the running, service and product wise when this occurs. A big shame as when it is staffed correctly it's been a joy .... evening and breakfast. Same goes for the cocktail bar. They are very good but stretched way too far.

Front door and concierge staff are very very good. In short a nice hotel, well run but stretched way to far and means the experience can range from first class to very meh. Fortunately I've been in the former group each time, very much so. But others (who know the world and can judge it accordingly) have seen a far less impressive product. I hope in are in the same group as I've been fortunate enough to be.
I stayed here about 3 months ago again just for a night before I left Barcelona and it was as good as ever. Bruno is no longer there at the lounge but the others were great. This place just does what you're supposed to do for an IC, they give me an upgrade every time to a suite, the lounge has a nice drink selection and the cocktail hour food is decent. The spa is great, the rooftop pool is tiny but has great views.
HadesNL likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2024, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by moolman
I stayed here about 3 months ago again just for a night before I left Barcelona and it was as good as ever. Bruno is no longer there at the lounge but the others were great. This place just does what you're supposed to do for an IC, they give me an upgrade every time to a suite, the lounge has a nice drink selection and the cocktail hour food is decent. The spa is great, the rooftop pool is tiny but has great views.
Bruno been gone a good while moolman and he was a top guy....the other CL staff as well. They are just stretched way too thin when cruise ships and the likes of Real Madrid pull up. Like you, it hasn't affected me directly but it has impacted service there. Key staff and indeed management are aware of it. I guess they have been victims of their own success. Occupancy is good and of course it's in the middle of conference city. Great for revenue, less so for consistency. It certainly wouldn't stop me going back as we have a great relationship with folks there and get well looked after.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.