Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Intercontinental Los Angeles Downtown

Daily Facility Fee of $39 USD + Tax allows our guests to enjoy valuable benefits like:
$25 Beverage Credit per day [Only for consumption of mini-bar beverages - not usable at the bar or restaurants]
$20 Laundry/Dry Cleaning per stay
$15 daily discount to Club InterContinental access fee
Complimentary unlimited Local and National calls International calling for up to 30 minutes
Complimentary access to digital newsstand with publications from around the world
Complimentary package receiving up to 5 packages per day (bulky items excluded)

Address
Intercontinental Los Angeles Downtown
900 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, California ,90017
Tel. +1-213-6887777

For reservations: [email protected]

Link to hotel:
https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...hc/hoteldetail

Next tube / subway station:
7th Street / Metro Center served by all tram and metro lines

Pre-opening thread
Pre-Opening Thread

Lounge access (show to lounge agent - see this post)

Print Wikipost

IC Los Angeles Downtown Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: SAS EBS, IHG Spire Elite, Hertz Five Star and Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by rrrrrich
Personally i think the lounge is pretty steep at $80. for a one night stay you likely wont get the afternoon desserts (it's a limited spread). Breakfast is good but not great or anything particularly special. The evening drinks are nice but then you can probably get more of an experience on the 73rd floor bar with that type of money and there's plenty of brunch spots around in the morning. We had lounge access kind of 'thrown in' when we booked the upgrade and if we hadn't, I personally wouldn't have paid for it.

And yes, you have to pay extra for that 3rd person...
Okay that wasn't what I wanted to hear :P But thank you for giving your opinion ! From the room descriptions the club access rooms where at higher floors which we want, so i just guessed that we had to pick club access. I will see when I get there what they say, I'll try and get club access for free for the third person since i'm spire elite (one can always ask )
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:57 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, AA 3 million, IHG RA, United, Delta
So glad to return to this IC

The view is great and the rooms are wonderful. The pool was packed for the 4th of July, but I reserved one of the cabanas at the pool and it was well worth the money. As a RA I recieved a wonderful corner room suite. However, I think that one of the keys to a successful hotel especially a IC is the staff. It is up to the management of the hotel to retain those outstanding professional employees. I stayed in this hotel the first month it was opened in 2017. I returned this summer almost exactly one year later. Prior to checking in, I called the hotel and was connected to the club lounge and was so excited that the person answering the phone was a person that had been at the hotel when it opened and she remembered me! I was even more excited when I learned that almost every employee that I got to know during my stay in 2017 was still an employee of the hotel! That says something for the management of this hotel. The staff at the club lounge was the same as a year ago. Several individuals of the food and beverage department were still employed, but had been promoted. This hotel management must be doing things correctly because they are keeping their excellent professional employees. The staff in the club lounge are superb! I hope that the management of this IC will recognize these professional individuals. I look forward to a future visit to this hotel, I hope that we will be welcomed by these same employees. I would recommend this hotel to anyone that wants a great experience when visiting Los Angeles.
xZ4sdDMlSu4aiq63 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by xZ4sdDMlSu4aiq63
Okay that wasn't what I wanted to hear :P But thank you for giving your opinion ! From the room descriptions the club access rooms where at higher floors which we want, so i just guessed that we had to pick club access. I will see when I get there what they say, I'll try and get club access for free for the third person since i'm spire elite (one can always ask )
Spire+Platinumdon't count at IC brand. The IC's use the "Ambassador Program" which you need to sign up for at cost usd200. That said it guarantees a 1cat room upgrade from the club room you plan to book

You can even sign up at checkin as IC's reportedly have sales targets , asking if i sign up for Ambassador what room will i get for the Ambassador upgrade. Suggesting as sometimes hotels give more than 1cat , though usually from entry level rooms, and your booking club upfront
Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Spire+Platinumdon't count at IC brand. The IC's use the "Ambassador Program" which you need to sign up for at cost usd200. That said it guarantees a 1cat room upgrade from the club room you plan to book

You can even sign up at checkin as IC's reportedly have sales targets , asking if i sign up for Ambassador what room will i get for the Ambassador upgrade. Suggesting as sometimes hotels give more than 1cat , though usually from entry level rooms, and your booking club upfront
Okay yeah I was looking at getting Ambassador status but I thought that those 200$ wouldn't bring much of value too me. But if I do decide to get Ambassador status would I get Club access for free for the third person with my room do you think? If so I would probably get ambassador, I have a two nights in January in LA, was thinking of staying in Santa Monica but if I'm an ambassador then i'd probably pick IC Downtown if I like it or another IC hotel around that area.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr

Okay yeah I was looking at getting Ambassador status but I thought that those 200$ wouldn't bring much of value too me. But if I do decide to get Ambassador status would I get Club access for free for the third person with my room do you think? If so I would probably get ambassador, I have a two nights in January in LA, was thinking of staying in Santa Monica but if I'm an ambassador then i'd probably pick IC Downtown if I like it or another IC hotel around that area.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Thank you for that summary ! I just booked a 2 Queen Superior Club access room. I will probably not get Ambassador status for that stay, I'm just going to ask nicely what Spire Elite can give me when I check in.
Would you say 80$ is worth paying to get access to the lounge for that one night? We're three people and when I reserved it said "Club access for two people". Do we still need to pay the 30$ extra person charge if we buy Club access ?
On reflection, it occurs to me that the usd30 extra person charge is purely for having a 3rd (extra) ppn in the room, many hotels do this, and charge for adults (guests > 14yrs) whether or not an extra "rollaway bed" is supplied or if room is 2x small double beds and you sleep 3-4ppn instead of 2ppn . The usd30 extra person charge is probably for 'room occupancy not lounge access" charged against all room types allowing a 3rd ppn.

An upsell in Club Room for 3ppn would be charged on top of the extra person in room fee
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I'm currently staying here for the weekend. It's my second time as I stayed last year and enjoyed it. This time I had a few reasons to be downtown (Dodger game, Hollywood Bowl) so decided to have a "staycation." I'm using my Ambassador free weekend.

I booked a King Suite and was upgraded to a Luxury Suite - that was reflected in my reservation about a week before check-in. I'm not exactly sure what the difference is, but the room is quite nice. It's on the southwest corner so I have a view west down Wilshire Blvd and of the Hollywood Hills. To the south, I have a view of other buildings and then Long Beach, where I actually live. I guess that's to be expected since I can usually see this hotel from my condo when I'm at home on a clear night.

Check-in took a bit longer than I expected - they only have four desks that handle both check-in and check-out. There also isn't a defined queue area so it feels as if you're awkwardly standing about in the lobby area. The agent was very proficient and friendly and said that the room was a very nice upgrade. I'm not sure of what the difference would be between the King suite I booked and the Luxury suite I was assigned.

There seems to be a lot of airline crew here (saw multiple Lufthansa and Korean Air crews. Doesn't Korean Air/Hanjin own this hotel?). Welcome water/fruit/amenity were delivered fairly quickly after I was in the room. The amenity is the same small tin of chocolates that I received last year. I received the same one or both IC's in San Francisco.

Overall, I still really enjoy staying here so will probably continue to use it when wanting to be in LA for a weekend. Elevators are fine once you figure out transferring on 31 instead of going up to the lobby on 70. I didn't bother with the $48/night valet. I left my car at Union Station for $8/night and am using Metro to get around or just walking most places.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:52 am
Original Poster

I completed my second stay a week ago for an Anime Expo staycation (also from Long Beach), with my first stay shortly after they opened last July (also for AX). Both stays were excellent. Despite my lowly IHG Platinum status, my first stay was upgraded from a basic king to a corner king, with a commanding view of DTLA facing NE. This time, I took advantage of a last minute offer to upgrade my basic king to a club room for ~$64/night. In addition to club access, I also received an upgrade to a spectacular club king corner suite, which was a very pleasant surprise.

The service at this hotel was outstanding on both stays. When I arrived at 5:30 pm on a Friday, there was no wait to check in at the front desk, nor did I see much of a wait in the many times I passed by during my stay. I did not get to check out the afternoon spread at the club lounge, but the cocktail bar was well stocked for the evening drinks. The hot food at the breakfast was a bit too lukewarm at 6:45 am, but the selection of cold and hot food was very good overall. I was disappointed to see that they removed all of the seating next to windows in the lobby bar. Fortunately, there were still plenty seats with a view in the club lounge.

I did not pack a swimsuit on my first trip; however, I made sure to bring one this time after getting a look at the pool. It gets hot and crowded during the weekend (no shade), but I had it to myself at 8am. The pool bar looked like a good place to relax during normal weather, but it was 105 degrees during my stay.

Regarding recognition of IHG status at IC hotels, my experience has actually been overwhelmingly positive, both in the US and abroad. I usually receive at least a minor upgrade (deluxe/higher floor/view). During my short stay at the Osaka IC, I was even upgraded from a basic room on an award stay to a residential unit (1 br apt). I have been considering signing up for Ambassador, but my recent experience as a platinum has made that seem superfluous.
ralphs and xZ4sdDMlSu4aiq63 like this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:30 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by downinit
Despite my lowly IHG Platinum status, my first stay was upgraded from a basic king to a corner king, with a commanding view of DTLA facing NE. This time, I took advantage of a last minute offer to upgrade my basic king to a club room for ~$64/night. In addition to club access, I also received an upgrade to a spectacular club king corner suite, which was a very pleasant surprise.
I have to say, I am envious of the treatment you received! As a Spire Ambassador who stayed the exact same weekend as you, and who booked a Club room, I was upgraded only one category from Superior Club to Deluxe Club (one of the pseudo-corner rooms at the end of the building).

I’ve stayed at this property three times since it opened and overall find it less impressive than most reviews on here... I think it’s serviceable as an Intercontinental, with the service generally good but not memorable. I think the hotel is simply too large to be an IC, and at times (with long lines for the elevators and for the front desk, and with multiple airline crews coming and going) feels more like a convention property.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
So stayed here over the weekend. Lots to like but seriously, this is ridiculous! A line to get up to the hotel lobby. Mind you NOT everyone is a hotel guest. Lots of people also going up to just look.

Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by seat38a
So stayed here over the weekend. Lots to like but seriously, this is ridiculous! A line to get up to the hotel lobby. Mind you NOT everyone is a hotel guest. Lots of people also going up to just look.

Is this common ? What time and day was this ?
They must learn from this and have a separate line for people staying there (status members) that can just go before people going up for just looking/having a drink
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:34 am

Is this common ? What time and day was this ?
They must learn from this and have a separate line for people staying there (status members) that can just go before people going up for just looking/having a drink
Yes it was common. The three days I was there saw it happen throughout the day. They have many elevators but only ONE seems to operate at a time. I agree that they should have elevators for visitors/restaurant customers apart from hotel guests. The problem is that the lobby is on the 70th floor so essentially EVERYONE can go up to the 70th regardless.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:13 am

Yes it was common. The three days I was there saw it happen throughout the day. They have many elevators but only ONE seems to operate at a time. I agree that they should have elevators for visitors/restaurant customers apart from hotel guests. The problem is that the lobby is on the 70th floor so essentially EVERYONE can go up to the 70th regardless.
Okay yeah from what I can tell from the picture it seems that the entrance to the elevators wouldn't allow for separate lines for people going up and down... They must get a bunch of complains about this, hopefully they'll find a solution
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:34 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
They have many elevators but only ONE seems to operate at a time. I agree that they should have elevators for visitors/restaurant customers apart from hotel guests.
Yes, I think one issue is that the computerized system only knows that an elevator has been called to the 70th floor and has no idea how many people are waiting, so it only sends one car at a time.

Thankfully during my stays I never had to wait more than for the second car to come, but I agree that the entire elevator situation is quite annoying.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by dw
Yes, I think one issue is that the computerized system only knows that an elevator has been called to the 70th floor and has no idea how many people are waiting, so it only sends one car at a time.

Thankfully during my stays I never had to wait more than for the second car to come, but I agree that the entire elevator situation is quite annoying.
While waiting in line, quite a few people checking into the hotel were not amused having to wait in line. Also, at the checkin desk, there was another line with no elite desk open for Ambassadors. I booked a club room so was able to checkin with the club attendant but for IHG elites and Ambassadors, its a complete CF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.