Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2016, 8:40 pm
tub

Programs: IHG Ambassador, KrisFlyer
Intercontinental Bali

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

Booked Club Room got upgraded to Uluwatu Suite

How are the rooms?

The Uluwatu suite is extremely spacious and opulent. However, the design and furnishing for the rooms are starting to show their age. That being said, it is still perfectly amenable. IC Bali are starting their renovations with the older wings, and presumably will finish with the club rooms last. I'm not sure when this will be however.

How is the exec. lounge?

Good - large variety of drinks, canapes and food. Breakfast, afternoon tea and cocktail evenings are provided every night. It is also open 24 hours with drinks available.

It's semi formal, so I'm not sure one could relax and stone out here (although, with the pool & beach nearby, I'm not sure you would)

What was good and what was bad?

Service was exemplary.

As mentioned earlier, needs a bit of a renovation to bring it inline with other IC hotel standards.

Food is a bit hit and miss. The steak at the italian restaurant is wonderful but breakfast at the club can be considered standard at best. The main breakfast area has better food.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?[/QUOTE]

Considering the upgrade, yes total value - and get club. However, indonesia has 21% tax which can be a bit of a shock to the system.

And yes, I would return
Old Apr 14, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: QF Plat, IHG RA, Marriott Plat
Intercontinental Montreal

Booked a King Club, was upgraded to a Suite Illustre (updated in reservation a few days prior to arrival)

How are the rooms?

Suite was great. Mine was on the top (26th) floor. Great city and river views. Two completely separate rooms, great furnishings. If I was grappling for criticisms, the lounge room was fairly gloomy and dark despite several floor to ceiling windows - although this was a wintry Quebec weekend, and whilst there were plenty of lamps and lights dotted around, it took about 15 mins to figure out how to turn each one on.

How is the exec. lounge?

Lovely. Breakfast a highlight - continental plus eggs, sausages, lots of fresh fruit and berries. Proper coffee/espresso machine (for those who struggle to fine decent coffee in North America). Evenings also nice, wine and spirits doled out by gregarious host. Decent nibble options and one hot (pasta) dish.

Good:

Location - easy for modern and Old Montreal. Close to metro and 747 airport bus.
Hotel itself - modern but classy.
Staff - mostly very friendly and helpful. Tolerant of my mangled French.
Welcome amenity - big bowl of fruit. Big bottle of mineral water (daily). Three little cute cupcakes.

Bad:
If this is important to you - no acknowledgement of status on check in.
One of the two TVs in the room had no signal.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?

It took me a while to get availability, assume the hotel was rather busy, so I may have paid over the odds (approx CA$300 a night inc tax) but I felt I got value - especially for a suite. Will certainly return next visit to Montreal.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 4:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Intercontinental Lisboa (Rua Castilho 149, Lisbon 1099-034, Portugal)

What is your Status?
Ambassador Gold

Booked the cheapest Executive room available, was assigned a Junior Suite.

How are the rooms?

The spacious room offered a king bed, two extended seats that resembled modern fainting couches, desk, minibar in a dresser like cabinet, spacious walk through closet with safe, marble bath with two sinks, tub, toilet and bidet and very small shower (the glass door opened inward, to boot!) with rain, hand and side nozzles showers. A bit noisy facing the Parque Eduardo VII with window partially open for ventilation due to airport landing pattern and traffic, ok closed with double pane windows (edited since HK left window open).

How is the Executive Lounge?

Club Intercontinental lounge is new, and is comfortable, and was never crowded (though the hotel was nearly sold out). Fee for those not entitled to lounge access is 45€ per person per day. Extended breakfast is offered with buffet and eggs cooked to order including Ovos cozidos - Portuguese baked eggs (American breakfast is 25€ in room or restaurant). Happy hour 5 - 7 pm offers n/v Taittinger, wines, beers, cocktails and small hot canapés and sweets and biscuits (designed as a tea, given dinner for Portuguese begins at 9 pm most commonly). One can also order anything from the room service menu (same prices, but no 9€ room service fee).

Staff here went above and beyond with service attitude and benefits. The GM, Giuseppe Vincelli, stopped by to chat and inquire about our stay when we were in the lounge, and Rita T., the Club Intercontinental manager, was extremely attentive as well. All staff attempted to be helpful and attentive - though occasionally a gesture was short of action (partial laundry delivery, misunderstood order, etc.)

Property provided fruit and water in the room on the first day, and large bottle of still water every day. Housekeeping was thorough and great.

Bad: the refurbishment of this property since the 2015 rebranding is very nice, but still in progress. There is considerable noise from hammering and machinery during daytime hours six days a week.

This is our second stay here, and we have been treated very well; I'd not hesitate to stay here or recommend the property.

Lounge:
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 16, 2016 at 4:26 am
Old Apr 16, 2016, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by JDiver
What is your Status?
Ambassador Gold

Booked the cheapest Executive room available, was assigned a Junior Suite.

How are the rooms?

The spacious room offered a king bed, two extended seats that resembled modern fainting couches, desk, minibar in a dresser like cabinet, spacious walk through closet with safe, marble bath with two sinks, tub, toilet and bidet and very small shower (the glass door opened inward, to boot!) with rain, hand and side nozzles showers. A bit noisy facing the Parque Eduardo VII, due to airport landing pattern and traffic with single pane windows.

How is the Executive Lounge?

Club Intercontinental lounge is new, and is comfortable, and was never crowded (though the hotel was nearly sold out). Fee for those not entitled to lounge access is 45€ per person per day. Extended breakfast is offered with buffet and eggs cooked to order including Portuguese baked eggs (American breakfast is 25€ in room or restaurant). Happy hour 5 - 7 pm offers n/v Taittinger, wines, beers, cocktails and small hot canapés and sweets and biscuits (designed as a tea, given dinner for Portuguese begins at 9 pm most commonly). One can also order anything from the room service menu (same prices, but no 9€ room service fee).

Staff here went above and beyond with service attitude and benefits. The GM, Giuseppe Vincelli, stopped by to chat and inquire about our stay when we were in the lounge, and Rita T., the Club Intercontinental manager, was extremely attentive as well. All staff attempted to be helpful and attentive - though occasionally a gesture was short of action (partial laundry delivery, misunderstood order, etc.)

Property provided fruit and water in the room on the first day, and large bottle of still water every day. Housekeeping was thorough and great.

Bad: the refurbishment of this property since the 2015 rebranding is very nice, but still in progress. There is considerable noise from hammering and machinery during daytime hours six days a week.

This is our second stay here, and we have been treated very well; I'd not hesitate to stay here or recommend the property.
Seems to be IC Lisbon
What did I win?
Old Apr 16, 2016, 4:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nicolas75
Seems to be IC Lisbon
What did I win?
Not much; I've finished now. Maybe an order of ovos cozidos. (I save bits in progress lest Safari on my iPad or the wifi here crash.)
Old Apr 16, 2016, 10:17 pm
IHG 5+ Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
Intercontinental KL

What is your Status?
Ambassador Spire

Booked Executive King, received Executive Suite

How are the rooms?

Rooms look new on the most part, but showing some age on the wood parts. I assumed that recent renovations were done, but not a full one. Room was on the 29th Floor with good views, spacious living area.

How is the exec. lounge?

Very good, looks new since the recent renovation. Located on the 26th Floor. quality of food is high here, although the taste leaves much to be desired.

Check in at lounge was fast and efficient. Room, lounge and hotel location A+.

Forgot fruit platter amenity, and when requested was quoted fruit platter is only sent at 6pm, weird, i always thought it was on arrival. Fruit platter was pretty sad considering it's an intercontinental. Mine included a bright green under-ripe inedible passion fruit that was screaming to be thrown out of a window.

service was hit and miss, with staff not taking the initiative to ask if we wanted afternoon tea, despite us being practically the only people in the lounge.

Probably only for mattress runs, I honestly prefer the Doubletree KL. The service + lounge F&B (satays ) wins the IC KL. The rooms are similar at worst and slightly better at best.

There are many more options I would love to explore in KL, including the Hilton properties and the upcoming St.Regis. So it will be quite SOME time before i'm back.

Last edited by jedicat666; Apr 16, 2016 at 10:25 pm
Old Apr 26, 2016, 3:16 am

Programs: IHG Diamond AMB, M&M SEN
Intercontinental Bucharest

What is your Status?
Ambassador Spire

Booked Junior Suite (AMB Weekend certificate), received Junior Suite

How are the rooms?

17th floor, the suite was two rooms joined together. Spacious, clean, two bathrooms (one with shower cabin, one with Jacuzzi, l'Occitane amenities), two TVs/minibars.

How is the exec. lounge?

It was great. Relaxing music, not crowded, nice view (21st floor). Perfect place to have breakfast or just relax.

Pros:
  • Room
  • Presents (bottle of wine and voucher for glass of wine)

Cons:
  • Overall attitude from the personal (excluding front desk people). I believe it is not difficult to welcome guests/clients with "Welcome" and eventually "How are you today?" and use something else instead of "What do you want?" when taking orders.
  • Upon confirmed LCO (15:30) on the day before departure, arriving 30 minutes before the agreed hour to pack our baggage, the cleaning lady was already servicing the suite.

From hard product perspective definitely worth the value.

What will most probably make me not return is the overall attitude of the personal I have faced.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:36 am

IC Adelaide

What is your Status?
Ambassador Spire

one bedroom suite

offered club access at check in.

Went to the room (X17) and looked out the window to see I was directly in line with construction for the convention center. Not wanting to hear the noise (they're zoned to work from 6am until midnight), I asked for a room change.

Person on the phone said they have suites adjoining this one facing the other way and would I be ok with that?

Sure.

Second person calls back and says, we can offer you a club king room and a $25 discount. Seeing as I was already offered club access as a SA, I said that was unacceptable and the hotel should not be blocking SAs in to rooms that are directly on top of construction, especially since I booked eight months in advance and it's a paid stay.

I asked a few front-line employees if they had gotten noise complaints and all of them said "many."

What about the adjoining suite I was offered? Oh, they're sold out. So they blocked a SA in to the worst room possible in that category.

That person called back again and upgraded to an executive suite on the top floor.

How are the rooms?

The suite is nothing remarkable or even interesting. The "meeting" space is a small table with six chairs huddled around it with two more against the wall. Not even a centerpiece on it. The living area has no art on the walls or anything to make it look or feel homey. Bedroom does not have blackout curtains, only room darkening ones. Bathroom is very large but no separate door for the WC and no second sink.

Pros:

- great wifi and comped ethernet connection
- great location if you have meetings at the convention center
- Lounge has excellent breakfast and evening selections, although repetitive they are of good quantity and quality (I actually like the chicken dim sum)

Cons:

Horrible training for a lot of the staff. Lounge attendants are friendly but are in no way hosts and are not able to facilitate the simplest of tasks.

"Is there a gift shop on property?"

"Sorry, no"

"Can you tell me where I can buy XYZ?"

"Just wander outside the hotel and you'll find something"
"Can you recommend a place to get XYZ for dinner?"

"This street has a lot of restaurants on it. You'll find something."
And my favorite interaction of the stay:

"Does the hotel have a courtesy car? I'd like to be driven to dinner. It's a little too far to walk and I don't want to take a cab."

Person one - "I can ask the GM if he can let you borrow the hotel BMW but it may be an insurance issue."

"No, sorry, I want someone to drive me to dinner. I don't want to drive your car."

Person two standing next to him - "Just take a taxi"

Went to the lounge and asked the same question, "I didn't know we have a hotel BMW."

Called the concierge - "I just started here so I don't know. Let me ask someone and I will call you back in five minutes."

Person number onbe ends up calling me back and says, get this, "I'm sorry, we're not able to let you drive our car."

For the second time I'm telling him, now bluntly, I want to be driven somewhere. Can the hotel provide somethinbg even if I pay for it. Seriously? Has no one at the Adelaide IC ever asked to book a car service before?

Finally they got someone to drive me 2km for $20. Five interactions to get a car.
Turndown was wildly inconsistent.

Night one - changed out the decorative pillows for the sleeping ones and that's it. Couldn't even be bothered to remove the runner from the bed! ...or close the drapes, or leave chocolates, or remove trash or even leave a light on.

Night two - typical, correct service

Night three - left for the night at 6:15 with a "service room" note on the door. No one came through.

I'd stay away from this hotel until construction is completed otherwise you're rolling the dice. The lounge is sufficient for full meals but don't expect the offerings to change at any point during your stay.

Score: 7.5/10
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
Intercontinental Miami

Booked a City View on rewards and was given a port view room. After some protracted negotiation was given breakfast vouchers though we did not really need them but it was clear no other perk was going to be forthcoming.

How are the rooms?

The rooms are OK, a little tired and not quite at the standard of other ICs I have stayed in but OK.

How is the exec. lounge?

Despite being a Spire, no access was offered. When requested was quoted a fee of $100 per night when room difference price was only $60 so declined to be taken advantage of.

Good

Toro Toro is good food, but noisy and quite dark

Bad
Felt like they were trying to take advantage of us financially
Housekeeping was very poor
Impossible to get a lounger at roof pool
No poolside service, had to go and battle past lots of children to get any drinks
Despite adverts the pool café is not open at night

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?

Now they have increased the points to 50,000 not great value given how little recognition you get. Be aware they also will charge you a $15 a day resort fee when you check out even on rewards booking. They removed mine because I highlighted there was no mention of the fee on the booking app

Would you return?

I had planned to but now unlikely
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:23 am

IC Wellington

booked

Level 2 one bedroom suite

upgrade:

Asked for something with a Harbour view and upgraded to a Harbour view room. Paid the rate difference to upgrade one more category to a Harbour view junior suite.

Good room if awkwardly shaped. Plenty of outlets and electronic controls.

PROS:

- Very posh lounge with amazing staff. Some of the best I've seen worldwide. Excellent hospitality. Table service for drinks. Breakfast spread is exceptional. Evening spread is much more pared and low key however there is a chef from the downstairs restaurant who creates a daily canape plate made to order. The night I was there it was salmon with potato, beef crostini with carmelized onions, tomato with cheese and a shot of pumpkin soup.
- BMW transportation to/from the airport for $45 which is only slightly more than a taxi and it's a top-notch service in the hotel car (they also have a bentley.
- Every member of staff is courteous, knowledgable, warm and professional.
- Great location for business or holiday.

CONS:

- The absolute WORST curtain design I've seen worldwide. I could read the newspaper in bed with the curtains closed and the lights off at daybreak.
- Some sort of constant clicking/popping noise at the window when the sun goes up. Perhaps the windows weren't sealed properly or when the light hits it at a certain point in the day it starts.
- I've never seen this before. If you're watching TV, you can not input the channel number, only go +/-. So if you're on channel 2 and want to get to channel 98, get ready to wear out your thumb pressing +.
- Neighborhood goes to sleep early, so if you're looking for a late night bite, you're stuck with room service.

VALUE

Great property even if you do need eyeshades to sleep past daybreak. Contact the hotel in advance about upgrades and well worth it to pay the difference to a higher category past the standard one-ctaegory upgrade. Can't stress enough how much the staff made the stay enjoyable.

Score: 9/10
Old Apr 30, 2016, 7:28 pm

Programs: Skypass MMC, Delta Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium
Intercontinental San Francisco

InterContinental San Francisco

I booked basic room in January through third party conference organizer.
Same type of room on the mid-level floor. They said it's an upgrade but not sure as my friend who booked same room without any IHG status got a room larger than mine on higher floors.

How are the rooms?
Very small. But the amenities were good enough.

How is the exec. lounge?
Been offered lounge access for $50 per night.
It was OK. Liked it that they offered something to have during lunch time (soups).

Didn't have WSJ.
Some staffs are rude.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?[/QUOTE]
I will not return. In fact, my second visit to SF this year, I changed all my stays to Hiltons, which treated me better for a mere Hilton Gold.

Last edited by dankim78; Apr 30, 2016 at 7:51 pm
Old Apr 30, 2016, 7:36 pm

InterContinental The Willard Washington

InterContinental The Willard Washington

I booked Junior Suite using BOGOF in early February.
Got upgraded to Executive Suite.

How are the rooms?
Quite dated but classic.

How is the exec. lounge?
No club lounge at the property.

Historic building with classic looks but too outdated for the money you pay for.
But the location was great and the staffs were quite nice.
Attached a reward night at the end of two-day stay with BOGOF, and they upgraded my reward night also to the Executive Suite so that I don't have to change rooms in the middle of my stay.

OK value for the money. Probably yes.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 7:42 pm

InterContinental Seoul Grand Parnas

InterContinental Seoul Grand Parnas

I booked the basic room at advanced purchase rate for a stay in mid-April and got upgraded to Junior Suite.

How are the rooms?
Spacious and cozy. Furniture was bit dated though.

How is the exec. lounge?
Was not offered club access.

Location was great and staffs were truly welcoming.

Good value for money. Great location with kind staffs. Will try to book rooms with club access next time.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 7:49 pm

InterContinental Shenzhen

InterContinental Shenzhen

Booked a basic room for two nights. The first night with reward points and the second night with advance purchase rate.
Got upgraded to the next level room for both nights (Pool view).

How are the rooms?
Very spacious and nice.

How is the exec. lounge?
Was offered the club access for RMB140 + tax for the first reward night. But then after confirming that I have a paid consecutive stay booked the next day, they offered me club access for free for both nights.
They said club access is offered free of charge for platinum ambassador members for paid nights, and at RMB140+ tax for reward nights.

Club lounge itself is quite nice with extensive choices. Both the happy hour and the breakfast. But the quality of the foods is not as good as when I visited about a year ago.

Overall the facilities are nice. Nice room, nice swimming pools, etc.
Somehow the dining options are not as good.

Good value for money. I will definitely return.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 8:27 pm

InterContinental Grand Stanford Hong Kong

InterContinental Grand Stanford Hong Kong

I booked a Deluxe room (the most basic one), and was upgraded to Deluxe Side Harbour View in early January.

How are the rooms?
Small(which is usual in HK) but nice.
The bathroom didn't have the bathtub.

How is the exec. lounge?
Did not have access.

The location was OK. The view was not as great as the one from InterContinental Hong Kong, but still was OK.
Could walk to TST, but it would be hard from Spring as it would be too hot.

OK value. Not sure whether I would return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.