Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2016)

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 6:45 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
IC New York - Times Square

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked a Deluxe Room paying a good cash rate ($177/nt). Received a Sky View Room on the 35th floor (the hotel has 36 floors).

How are the rooms?
Meh. A Sky View room is no different than a standard room, just on a higher floor. The view was nice, but honestly not much better than the 20th floor would have been. The street noise was still surprisingly loud.

How is the exec. lounge?
The hotel doesn't have one.

What was good and what was bad?
The showers are still my favorite of any Intercontinental I've visited.

They didn't offer drink/minibar credits. They basically offer the bare minimum of what they're obligated per the Ambassador terms. I wouldn't expect anything beyond that in the future.

This is my 3rd stay at IC Times Square, and the 3rd time my keycard deactivated at regular-checkout time instead of late-checkout time.

Although it's only a few years old, the hotel is starting to show some wear and tear. Torn wallpaper, stains, etc. I doubt this property is going to age gracefully.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?[/QUOTE]
Perhaps my experience was effected by the bargain basement room-rate. At the price I paid, it was still a good value. However, for the same number of points, I would only redeem at the IC Barclay in the future.
Old May 2, 2016, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by patmcpsu
The showers are still my favorite of any Intercontinental I've visited.
I am not quite sure to understand why they are so extraordinary?

By the way, I hate when a "luxury hotel" has a shower only option.
Old May 4, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: IC Ambassador
InterContinental Bangkok

What is your IHG Rewards Club status?
Gold Ambassador

Were you happy with the hotel?
Exceeded expectations. Very happy!

Which room did you book and what upgrade did you receive?
King Bed Grande Deluxe to King Bed Exec Deluxe

How are the rooms?
Excellent.

How is the exec. lounge?
Offered at a cost. Did not take it up.

What was your welcome gift?
A small Bear wearing an IC Bangkok polo tee

Did you receive fruit and water in the room?
Yes.
What was good?
Outstanding breakfast buffet, one of the best. Great service. Staff spoke good English. Decent room size.

What was bad?
None really.

Value for the money? Would you return?
A big fat yes!!!
Old May 5, 2016, 5:58 am

Intercontinental Malta

Intercontinental Malta

King Club Room, upgraded to Junior Suite on a higher floor with Club Access

How are the rooms?
Furniture didn't seem as higher quality as other IC hotels, but still better than most. Our Junior suite had bathroom and a separate toilet. Although building work was going on, couldn't hear it. Had a split balcony accessible from both the living area and bedroom. View wasn't great, but not the hotel's fault there was a crane across the street.

How is the exec. lounge?
I find this lounge one of the best. It's large, bright and the staff are very attentive. Breakfast includes anything from the Egg Chef, hot options and a large continental selection.

Alcohol is available at a charge throughout the day, but free as part of the evening menu.

Bad: Spa area feels slightly exposed as reception separate from treatment rooms and the gym is a general access one but free from guests.

Good: Staff are excellent, especially in the lounge, very good restaurant attached to the hotel

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
Very good value, will be returning later this year

Last edited by kwisstan; May 5, 2016 at 9:00 am
Old May 5, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: United PremPlat; M LT Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire A
InterContinental Miramar Panama

InterContinental Miramar Panama as an IHG Spire Ambassador

Basic room with pts for 1 night - first received lounge access, but wanted to see the suite and the manager on duty accommodated my request, but she emphasized that it shouldn't be given for Ambassadors for pts stays.

How are the rooms?
Well lit, spacious, the suite was facing to the ocean - great view.

How is the exec. lounge?
Both the evening and morning selection was good. The service was really nice as well.

Nothing bad, but I haven't checked the pool or the gym.

Value is good, both for $ and pts. Would definitely return.
I booked for 30k pts, now there is a promotion for 15k pts - I think even the 30k pts worth it, even taking into account that the rates are low in Panama.
Old May 17, 2016, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Intercontinental Sydney

What is your Priority Club status?

Gold Ambassador

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?

Yes I was generally happy.

Booked basic level entry room - Standard King Room
Room received - Opera View King Room

How are the rooms?

Approximately 32 sqm. Room was pleasant not stunning. Great window seat, the full width of the window to sit in the sun. Huge work desk. Lighting was terrible with no lights in the ceiling, only sconces over the bed that were not bright and a desk lamp. Capino coffee maker, smallish tv. Lots of power points at a good height to charge laptops and mobile phones without having to scrounge on the floor. Small bathroom where 2 people could not get ready at the same time. Lighting average. Shower over bath was a bit slippery and it had a plastic shower curtain.

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

GOOD
* Fabulous staff who regularly acknowledged you and seemed glad you were staying with them from check in at valet parking to departure.
* Fast collection of car at valet parking.
* Received welcome letter, fruit and gift of bottle of wine - 2013 Hunter Valley Shiraz
* Breakfast was only an extra $5
* On Sunday regular breakfast area so was so busy and it was so squashy. Tables were so close you could not move between them.
* Husband said his cooked breakfast was one of the best he'd had at a hotel as bacon and hashbrowns were not soggy. He said you could tell things were very fresh.
* As I live in Sydney and just stayed 3 nights for fun I didn't need the Concierge however I heard them discussing seafood restaurants with an Asian couple. He was very detailed in what he was saying and giving them advice like..."whilst the food is beautiful the servings are quite small so if you want something more substantial go to X it's nearly as good".
* Checkout was fast.
* Location near Circular Quay is great. It's near Opera House, Harbour Bridge and Rocks Tourist area.
* 5 mins walk to Circular Quay train station and Ferry terminal.
BAD
* I was on 27th floor (out of 31) and the car noise was unbelievable at that height. I could tell what type of vehicle was passing as it was so clear. Need double glazing.
* Small Bathroom.
* Shower curtain not glass screen.
* Did not receive a newspaper on any of the 3 mornings of my stay - either with the free Ambassador newspaper or the door sign that said hang on your door by a certain time to get a free newspaper.
* Lifts under maintenance. Often had to wait for ages to get a lift you could fit in. Was a running joke with your lift companions when you did get in.
* The room with the "Opera View" was disappointing if you'd paid for it. Yes you could see the opera house if you went to the very far end of the window and pressed your nose up against it so you could see 5% of the Opera House.
* I could hear banging for 3 afternoons on the floor above. No idea if there were renovations or cleaning being done that was noisy. It was really annoying.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?[/B]

Room cost me approx AUD$300 & $45 valet parking which is an approx. Average cost for entry level rooms in Sydney in 5 star hotels. I guess I'd return but I do have other Sydney hotels I love more at the moment (The Darling).

If I stayed I would book a higher grade room so it was bigger.

Last edited by Annalisa12; May 17, 2016 at 6:01 am Reason: accidentally posted in wrong spot.
Old May 24, 2016, 6:24 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
IC Malta

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive? I booked an entry level room for the first night and a club room for the second. Was upgraded to a junior suite for the duration.

How are the rooms? My room was great - huge, with a walk in closet and large bathroom.

How is the exec. lounge? Plenty of booze during happy hour and substantial canapés. Lots of choice at breakfast.

What was good and what was bad? My gift was a jar of local cheese. Generous fruit bowl and three bottles of water. In room coffee was a bit sad with tubes if freeze dried Nescafé.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return? First night was good value at €129, my club night cost €180. Club access did not represent €51 of value.
Old May 29, 2016, 10:48 am

IC SF May 28 check-in
BOGO rate
Fruit and 2 bottled water
No gift
Convenient location
Old May 29, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
IC SF May 28 check-in
BOGO rate
No gift
Convenient location
i'd call customer service 800 621 0555, and complain about the gift
Old May 29, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
IC SF May 28 check-in
BOGO rate
No gift
Convenient location
No upgrade?
Old May 30, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
InterContinental Miramar Panama as an IHG Spire Ambassador

Basic room with pts for 3 nights - Upgraded to an executive floor room with 2 beds on 20th floor facing the ocean. I didn't push for a suite but did ask about an upgrade and the clerk told me the room was on the exec floor with lounge access, high floor and facing the ocean. It seemed like they had prepared this room for me a while back as the welcome letter in my room had an older # of IHG points.
Got 1 bottle of water, some fruit, a cheap Panama pen as a welcome gift, and 2PM late checkout (not 4PM) and no mention of a free movie as I don't think they have pay movies at this hotel. (didn't even turn on the tv).

How are the rooms?
Room on the 20th floor was fine, spacious enough. No tub and a shower with half a glass partition but didn't cause any mess of water on the bathroom floor. My only sort of complaint is that the duvet/comforter is too warm, so that it's difficult to be comfortable, either you'd need to make the room freezing or if you kick off the comforters like I tend to do when it's warm then I get cold and wake up and have to put the comforters back on again. Only to kick it off when I get warm etc. etc.

How is the exec. lounge?
Only went for breakfast and the spread was fine, some variation in the 3 days (i.e. 2 days there was chicken, 1 day there was a beef dish, all days there were eggs etc). Can also go outside breakfast, evening happy hour times to get a coffee complimentary. My Ambassador letter mentioned that any guests would be charged $12 + 10% service charge but me + 1 guest weren't charged anything upon checkout.

Not the fault of the hotel but UberX pickup at the hotel was atrocious, they always go to the wrong side (the side of Ave Balboa not Cinta Costera where the lobby/valet pickup is) and then call me causing me expensive international phone charges. So 1 time I went to the wrong side and texted the driver to meet us there, then she went to the right side. The car service from the hotel to anywhere in the city is very overpriced, what was a $2 ride back on UberX from a restaurant (Riesen, near the Hampton) was $7.37 using the hotel car. The hotel car to the airport was more reasonable at $35+ $2.xx tax = $37.xx. Still more than a $30 for a taxi.

Check in clerk was pretty friendly, the ckeckout clerk not so, no asking how was your stay etc., very down to business, not a huge deal.

I booked on a promo rate for 15k points a night, at that it's a good rate, for cash rates, it was around $150 when I booked. I would return but I'd want to check out other hotels first.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Explorist, United Gold, Hertz 5*
Tokyo ANA Intercontinental

Booked a basic room for 50k points for 1 night
No upgrades

How are the rooms?
Functional room with two twin beds. Hotel age shows with claustrophobic bathroom and uber dim lighting.

How is the exec. lounge?
The hotel doesn't have one. Either that or the check-in folks forgot to mention it

Location is the good with 10 minute walk to Roppongi bar district.
Late checkout at 2:30PM was requested, but only given 2PM per platinum status benefit. Got charged for 9600Yen for the extra 30 minutes
No water, fruit, etc was offered for ambassador

I'd stay at a holiday inn before coming back for this ripoff
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by jongesander
No upgrade?
Sorry, I got upgraded to a corner room with city view. The desk said it was a 2 level upgrade.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 5:46 am

Programs: QF Plat, IHG RA, Marriott Plat
Intercontinental Melbourne

Booked King Junior Suite. No upgrade but received Club access.

How are the rooms?
Decent size. Junior Suite is really just a biggish room with little seating area. Decor is fresh, there's a Nespresso machine. Bathroom was separated from the room by slatted wooden doors. A bit odd and not especially private.

How is the exec. lounge?
Lovely. Great range of snacks in the evening and breakfast in the morning including bacon, sausage, mushrooms and eggs to order. Honey from the hotel's own hives. Bubbles, wine and beer in the evening. Soft drinks and coffee all day. Lovely staff. The lounge gets very busy during the evening cocktail hour, all seats were taken when we were there.

Architecturally impressive. Atrium is great. Staff are great. We were welcomed and status recognised at check in. Room was not ready (11.30am) so we were offered lounge access while we waited. Decent location - handy for the tram at least - although the area is rather quiet on weekends.
Welcome gift was 2 x glasses of "wine of the month" at the bar, a plate of apples, and a small bottle of IC branded water.

Am certain to return. This was not my first stay. Great hotel and lounge, made special by the staff. Paid AU$250-ish for a night, pretty good value for Australia.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:01 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Air NZ lowly Jade now, Emirates
IC Sydney

IC Sydney
Platinum ambassador

We actually booked via Virtuoso for this weekend - we went to see Vivid. We had to book an eastern harbour view room to receive the Virtuoso amenity, which was mainly the access to the club. The actual room we got upgraded to was a Harbour Bridge view room on the 15th floor

How are the rooms?
Happy with the room, good size. Can lie in bed and look at the harbour bridge! It is time they did something about upgrading the bathrooms as in this day and age I don't think anyone should be climbing over a bath to have a shower. Everything was very clean and tidy though so no complaints.

How is the exec. lounge?
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Best view in the world. Staff are friendly. Evening drinks and canapés are great, they refill your glasses constantly. Have gone back to a tasting plate again with a couple of hot options, but they have a small buffet selection as well which included oysters one night, mussels the next and cheeses, salad, dips etc. as we were dining out we didn't really indulge much.

Breakfast options are good, but as usual things could be hotter, those hot plate things don't really seem to keep much warm in my opinion.

After 9pm (I think from Wed to Sat??) they open the club lounge up to the hotel guests to come and have a drink. You definitely need to book.

Good -
club lounge is always fantastic
No problems with lifts on our visit
Received ambassador gift (red wine and fruit) and papers always delivered.

$501 AUD via virtuoso but it worked out better than booking direct with IHG as we were guaranteed club. If we want guaranteed club when we book directly we always pay for it (and get upgrade to a suite) so this was good for us as we were happy with our room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.