Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2016, 2:44 am
tub

Programs: IHG Ambassador, KrisFlyer
Intercontinental Osaka

IC: Osaka

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

Booked King Club Intercontinental, upgraded to Executive Suite

How are the rooms?

Amazingly big, well furnished and kept in astounding condition

How is the exec. lounge?

Relatively small but well furnished. Breakfast is leaps and bounds better than the standard breakfast in quality

What was good and what was bad?

Nothing bad at all.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?

Definitely return.

Last edited by tub; Mar 28, 2016 at 2:45 am Reason: Missed out hotel name
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:14 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
IC - Tampa

Late March 2016 stay

Standard booked - was upgraded to 1BR suite

How are the rooms?
not super fresh but more than adequate in my opinion. Many areas to plug in gadgets. I thought the bed was VERY comfortable & linens were crisp/clean.

How is the exec. lounge?
didn't use

cleanliness was great. Front desk (especially Stephanie) is terrific, Stephanie was a huge help, one of those front desk people that if she doesn't know the answer, she will find out, rather than just shrugging shoulders and saying I don't know. Barkeeps were friendly/attentive but would keep their distance to allow Mrs Willie to converse in private. I HATE paying for parking, so I'm a big fan of the free self park option in the garage.
Rate included breakfast, buffet was good. Shuttle service from the airport was very prompt.

The only big downside to this property is the pool area, it is small so not many chairs/lounge chairs and barren with the exception of a couple of shade umbrellas. Contrast this with the Marriott Westshore which has plenty of open area to move the many chaise lounges anywhere one pleases.

A minor/correctable downside is breakfast waitstaff do not pay enough attention for refills, asking for the check, etc.

Mrs Willie & I very much enjoyed our stay here & would return.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:20 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
IC - Milwaukee

Late March 2016 stay

Standard booked - was upgraded to nice corner view room

How are the rooms?
not super fresh but more than adequate in my opinion. I thought the bed was VERY comfortable & linens were crisp/clean. Shower area is not as polished as an IC should be, workman were a bit lax in their caulkwork.

How is the exec. lounge?
didn't use

I HATE paying for parking, so was very pleased with plenty of on the street parking 1 block north of the property.

Rate did not include breakfast but I was given a voucher for breakfast that included $2 tip for waitstaff. Breakfast was quite good, some unique choices to choose from on the menu.

A nice fruit bowl (strawberries, apple, pear, orange) was in the room.

I enjoyed our stay here & would return.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:06 pm
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany
Original Poster

I have moved the review post to the IC Miami Master Thread, as the formating by see single post does not work properly if using the review post.

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum
Old Apr 3, 2016, 5:15 am
HAT

Programs: BA, IHG, Hyatt
IC New York Times Square

Booked basic room on points, upgraded to a King Bed Sky View Room.

How are the rooms?

Decent sized room on 33rd floor had a gorgeous view of Manhattan's 8th Avenue. Room is spacious and nicely furnished.

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

Good:

-Good status recognition, pretty good upgrade and late check-out wasn't a problem too
-Been provided with chocolate strawberries every day
-Great location within a few blocks from Times Square

Bad:
-Nothing particularly bad, however we've been charged for a minibar, which have never been used. Had to chase them to get a refund.

The rates were pretty high (over 500$ for a basic room) on the dates I stayed so booking with points was a great value, considering that I managed to book with the 50K per night.

Last edited by HAT; Apr 3, 2016 at 5:27 am
Old Apr 3, 2016, 5:29 am
HAT

IC San Francisco

Booked a Deluxe Room on points, upgraded to a Junior Suite.

How are the rooms?

Nice room on 26th floor (afaik), with a great view over the bay. The JS was specious with a nice bathroom.

How is the exec. lounge?

Paid $50/night to get in. The lounge was great with premium drinks and lovely seafood options in the evening. Breakfast was pretty limited with only scrambled eggs, bacon/sausages and smoked salmon/cheese available. The nice thing is that they offer fresh berries, which I enjoyed most.

Good:

-Great upgrade received
-Nice welcome gift - a bottle of champagne, fruits and macarons.
-Good location, next to Moscone Center and 5mins walking to Market St.

Bad:
-Nada

San Francisco is pretty expensive, and the rates were $350+ for a basic room on the rates I stayed so 50K/night was a great value. The lounge is also amazing, even for $50/night. Will definitely stay again.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 5:43 am
HAT

The Palazzo

Booked a Luxury Suite with Prestige Lounge access, upgraded to a Siena Suite.

How are the rooms?

The recently renovated suite was HUGE, and very impressive. Deffo one of the biggest suites I have ever stayed in.

How is the exec. lounge?

In general, I didn't like it. The Prestige lounge was packed, and breakfast/evening spread was pretty limited, however it's still good value considering that food/drinks in Vegas are pretty expensive.

Good:

-Received a 2-3 categories upgrade
-Great suite with a view over the Strip.
-Got a $100 of credit, however couldn't do much with that as the prices are pretty high.

Bad:
-The hotel is huge (they say it's world's largest hotel) so you're not feeling very welcomed as they have thousands and thousands of guests every night, and it's still a partner hotel not a IC itself.
-Lounge wasn't that great, however still good value for $.

Since it's the only option for IHG members in Vegas, I'd probably stay here again if I'm in Vegas any time soon. The suite was nice, however I do prefer smaller properties.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 5:23 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Air NZ lowly Jade now, Emirates
IC Fiji

IC FIJI
Booked club room, received club plunge pool room using BOGO. Also booked 1 night with points, paid an extra $460 FJD to get to club which was then upgraded to the plunge as well.

How are the rooms?
Perfectly fine for me. Good sized bedroom, comfortable bed, large bathroom, with separate shower and toilet area. The Cleopatra bath is actually out on the deck area though but you can pull curtains for privacy. 2 wardrobe areas. Large lounge area with dining table.

How is the exec. lounge?
I particularly love this lounge. At the top of the resort. Very peaceful. Lovely staff here. Does a good breakfast spread in a nice peaceful environment. You can also have breakfast in the main restaurant Sansana (think feeding time at the zoo) or Navo, their fine dining restaurant (I wouldn't bother) Afternoon tea available from 3-5pm. evening drinks and canapés from 5.30 to 7.30 pm. The canapés selection is usually 3 hot, 3 cold. They may have had some nibbles like cheese and crackers available but I didn't notice or look. They do have a selection of cocktails you can choose from at the evening drinks.

I just love the club experience here, it is totally worth it in my opinion. Really enjoyed having a club plunge room this time. Have had one at a cooler time of the year and not so much, so if the weather is really warm, I would say do it.

Some people don't like being up the hill and away from the action. I find it hard to believe that some people think its a long walk. You can be down at reception in less than 2 minutes. You can catch a buggy or bula bus up to the club if you don't want to walk it.

No minibar per se, or at least alcohol, which is fine. Your snacks and beverages in the minibar are complimentary though which is nice (club rooms). Suggest you pick up some duty free on your way if you like a drink in your room.

Dinner at Navo (fine dining restaurant) was disappointing and overpriced. I fully expect to pay resort prices when I am away, that is fine, but I expect the meal and service to be outstanding. To be fair, I spoke to the chef about our dishes and he was happy to receive the feedback and took an item off our bill. Perhaps Fijian chefs trying to cook something Italian doesn't work!

I also had a spa treatment, which while the treatment itself was lovely, there were some issues at the spa which needed addressing. It was not a 5 star experience. I was lucky enough to speak to the Guest Services manager on our last night and I mentioned the issues I had and he gave me a discount. Nice, and not expected at all, as I say, the treatment was still very good. So I hope that some changes will be made sooner rather than later in ensuring this spa is still top notch.

For me, yes I'll always return. I love it here and being only 3 hours away from home makes it easily accessible. Club rooms are approx. $1100 FJD a night, plunge probably $1400FJD. Up to each person to decide the value. If using points take a punt and hope for an upgrade to club but I'd happily pay for the difference to be sure.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Susiew237
IC FIJI
Booked club room, received club plunge pool room using BOGO. Also booked 1 night with points, paid an extra $460 FJD to get to club which was then upgraded to the plunge as well.

How are the rooms?
Perfectly fine for me. Good sized bedroom, comfortable bed, large bathroom, with separate shower and toilet area. The Cleopatra bath is actually out on the deck area though but you can pull curtains for privacy. 2 wardrobe areas. Large lounge area with dining table.

How is the exec. lounge?
I particularly love this lounge. At the top of the resort. Very peaceful. Lovely staff here. Does a good breakfast spread in a nice peaceful environment. You can also have breakfast in the main restaurant Sansana (think feeding time at the zoo) or Navo, their fine dining restaurant (I wouldn't bother) Afternoon tea available from 3-5pm. evening drinks and canapés from 5.30 to 7.30 pm. The canapés selection is usually 3 hot, 3 cold. They may have had some nibbles like cheese and crackers available but I didn't notice or look. They do have a selection of cocktails you can choose from at the evening drinks.

I just love the club experience here, it is totally worth it in my opinion. Really enjoyed having a club plunge room this time. Have had one at a cooler time of the year and not so much, so if the weather is really warm, I would say do it.

Some people don't like being up the hill and away from the action. I find it hard to believe that some people think its a long walk. You can be down at reception in less than 2 minutes. You can catch a buggy or bula bus up to the club if you don't want to walk it.

No minibar per se, or at least alcohol, which is fine. Your snacks and beverages in the minibar are complimentary though which is nice (club rooms). Suggest you pick up some duty free on your way if you like a drink in your room.

Dinner at Navo (fine dining restaurant) was disappointing and overpriced. I fully expect to pay resort prices when I am away, that is fine, but I expect the meal and service to be outstanding. To be fair, I spoke to the chef about our dishes and he was happy to receive the feedback and took an item off our bill. Perhaps Fijian chefs trying to cook something Italian doesn't work!

I also had a spa treatment, which while the treatment itself was lovely, there were some issues at the spa which needed addressing. It was not a 5 star experience. I was lucky enough to speak to the Guest Services manager on our last night and I mentioned the issues I had and he gave me a discount. Nice, and not expected at all, as I say, the treatment was still very good. So I hope that some changes will be made sooner rather than later in ensuring this spa is still top notch.

For me, yes I'll always return. I love it here and being only 3 hours away from home makes it easily accessible. Club rooms are approx. $1100 FJD a night, plunge probably $1400FJD. Up to each person to decide the value. If using points take a punt and hope for an upgrade to club but I'd happily pay for the difference to be sure.
We're here at the moment (RA though). Was upgraded to the plunge suite from points booking. Can't really agree with you on breakfast at Navo-we loved it. We also had dinner at Navo and found the food excellent. Disappointment was that they were out of the first two wines I chose. Of all the food we felt the Italian was the best in all restaurants. We thought the spa was lovely, although pricey. Overall sounds like we had a better experience than you. Only problem now is getting home - the road to Nadi is closed due to flooding.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Air NZ lowly Jade now, Emirates
Originally Posted by Nickolash27
We're here at the moment (RA though). Was upgraded to the plunge suite from points booking. Can't really agree with you on breakfast at Navo-we loved it. We also had dinner at Navo and found the food excellent. Disappointment was that they were out of the first two wines I chose. Of all the food we felt the Italian was the best in all restaurants. We thought the spa was lovely, although pricey. Overall sounds like we had a better experience than you. Only problem now is getting home - the road to Nadi is closed due to flooding.
ah well perhaps the chefs on duty at Navo the night you dined were more experienced in Italian cooking. A risotto should never be dry and the pasta for tortellini should be fine and delicate not thick and lumpy... but nonetheless we did have a lovely stay. It started to rain on the day we left (sunday), so gosh it must have really poured!
Old Apr 4, 2016, 4:16 pm
Suspended

At this stage looks like we won't get out until Thursday or Friday. Not as much fun as it sounds - no mains power, genny only, reduced water pressure, low aircon and constant rain/wind. The staff are all sleeping at the hotel as their villages are under water, but they are fantastic. The hotel is doing its best to keep us comfortable.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 11:12 pm

IC San Francisco

IC San Francisco

Here's the story: I booked a jr. suite, intending to decline an upgrade and get a voucher for breakfast instead (since the jr. suite is plenty nice and the breakfast is great). A couple days before check-in, I got an email informing me that they had no upgrade availability but would offer club lounge access. Okay fine, not as good of a breakfast, but tons of free snacks the rest of the day. Then when I checked in, I got upgraded to a really nice one-bedroom suite, and my club access was already in the system, so I got that too.

How are the rooms?
Rooms at this hotel are super nice. I missed the panoramic view you get in a jr. suite, but the one bedroom suite is furnished better. (Jr. suite is just a big room with tons of empty space.) I appreciated having a couch, coffee table, etc. Also had 2x 55" TVs, and Acqua di Parma toiletries, both of which were upgrades over the jr.

How is the exec. lounge?
I remember thinking the lounge wasn't so great, but I liked it this time. Breakfast was pretty good, and the afternoon pre-dinner snacks were really nice. I just wish they'd put it up at the top and not on the 6th floor.

Good:

- Upgrade + lounge access
- Tons of free candy in the lobby (since it was Easter), probably intended for kids, but whatever.

Bad:
- Second time staying at this hotel with no welcome amenity (aside from the fruit). IHG gave me 600 points instead, big whoop.

Jr. suite was $269 booking in advance, which is a really good value in my opinion. Suites go for over $500, so this stay "paid" for my ambassador membership (though I'd probably never pay for a suite outright, yadda yadda yadda). I live in SF and have stayed here twice now for weekend staycations, and I've had a great experience both times.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
IC - Grand Stanford Hong Kong

IC - Grand Stanford Hong Kong

Booked King Bed Premier room using AMB BOGO cert. Pre arrival modification to my reservation showed an upgrade to Full Harbor Premier room.

At checkin, FD clerk thanked me for being AMB and told me that my upgrade was to a Side View Harbor. I showed her my reservation confirmation both on the app and in print that stated Full Harbor View. She tried to explain that there's some sort of issue between their hotel's & IHG's IT systems and IHG but I'm not exactly sure what she meant. Bottom line, I was given the Full Harbor View King.

AMB BOGO was collected at checkin

How are the rooms?

Nice view but not facing the right direction to see the evening light show.
Room was average size and quite sufficient for 1 person. It might be a bit tight on space for a couple?

Only complaint is the bathroom, while clean and iirc, even recently renovated seemed to have a musty smell that I simply attributed to Hong Kong's weather. A friend of mine from HKG corrected me and said that the smell might've actually been the brand of cleaning solution used?

How is the exec. lounge?

Was offered to buy lounge access or breakfast at discounted AMB rate though not exactly sure if prices quoted (@450ish/$180ish?) were before or after the discount. In any event, both were higher than I was willing to pay.

Good
Speedy, Dedicated AMB checkin
Honored online confirmed upgrade and was available for early checkin
Nice view and room
Received welcome drink chit (never used), AMB fruit bowl, nice box of 6 chocolates. Bottles of water refreshed daily

Bad

Noticeably musty smelling bathroom

There may actually be an IT issue between the hotel and IHG! Noticed after returning home, different nightly prices on my initial confirmation and what showed on IHG.com and what the hotel system said. The rate differential was very small and the hotel ended up honoring my printed record

Great value using BOGO. Would possibly return on a full paid stay though I'd probably opt for one of the many other HKG hotel options.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by jordan_h
I live in SF and have stayed here twice now for weekend staycations, and I've had a great experience both times.
Same here...stayed maybe a dozen plus times now as a wknd staycation. Suggest the staycation package which includes buffet breakfast downstairs (pretty darn good) and parking...great deal when it's available for < $200 for a std room and then get upgraded.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 7:28 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Intercontinental Bora Bora Thalasso

Intercontinental Bora Bora Thalasso

Stayed in early March and booked 6 nights on points and Chase free nights (wife and I). Hotel was sold out last 4 nights and we received room # 200. I consider this room and 201 to be the best Emerald rooms since they have a view of the horizon. Whereas 202-205 face beach area, as well as all the other Emeralds.

Also, since I'm Ambassador, received very nice beach bag with IC Thalasso marked on it, retails at shop for about $35

How are the rooms?
Obviously all the rooms are the same, but very spacious and patio with loung chairs are fantastic

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

Good:
  • Received day room when we checked in at 10:00am, then room was ready at about 11:00am
  • Received 50% off breakfast discount, but did have to ask for it
  • Breakfast was fantastic, including pancakes and french toast which is usually hit or miss, great selection of items and easily were able to have big breakfast then skip lunch
  • Free boat shuttle to Le Moana before 2pm
  • Resort has free rentals for kayaks, paddleboards, and snorkel gear for onsite snorkeling
  • IC Le Moana is a great location if you want to rent bicycles or scooters (nearly shop) and go to Bloody Mary's or into town. Also nearby restaurants so lower prices, if we go back to Bora Bora we'll do a few nights here due to convenience of these items

Bad:
  • The Polynesian dinner buffet on Monday night was awful, there really wasn't anything worth getting seconds for, so we didn't do another buffet rest of stay
  • At the beach side restaurant, pizza is not on the dinner menu, but can be ordered, kind of sneaky as we saw someone else order it after finishing our dinner 1st time at that restaurant

Obviously would, however being near impossible to get rooms on points now, could be a long time before we return

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.