Search

New RA rules after SPIRE

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2015, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien
i'm referring to IC award stays, under their T&C, no obligation for them to provide upgrades, nor free mini bar etc.
As has been discussed quite a bit here, most IC's do give full RA benefits on award stays. A certain few don't and we avoid those. But when we are talking about earning points for award stays at nice hotels, IHG is the best. Hilton and Marriott have fallen way down the list. And SPG isn't as good as it used to be. Accor is decent now too that they are having promos. In some ways I'd rate them as 2nd place behind IHG.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire
Is the 50% RA bonus gone? I had an IC stay post last week and received the 100% Spire bonus + 50% RA bonus. This morning, I had another IC stay post, and only received the 100% Spire bonus. Just to be clear, these were stays at InterContinentals, not other IHG brands.
Me too. Little bit confusing...
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: IHG
Has anyone re-qualified for RA since Spire was introduced? And if so, what were your re-qualification numbers?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Originally Posted by olegator
Royal Ambassador Criteria: Royal Ambassador status is by invitation only. To qualify for invitation to Royal Ambassador status, an Ambassador member must: During their membership year, stay at least 75 qualifying nights in any IHG® properties including InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza, Hotel Indigo, HUALUXE™, EVEN™ Hotels, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge Suites and Candlewood Suites. At least 30 of these qualifying nights must be at InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts properties. The member must also stay at 3 or more different InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts properties. SCH reserves the right to change these criteria at any time and without prior notification. Existing Royal Ambassador members must meet the criteria listed within the last 365 days from the expiry date of the status. Rewards Nights do not qualify towards Royal Ambassador status/...
Are there too many RA's? Something tells me someone very envious decided to create and green light this criteria.
When I recently checked the Criteria, none of this was listed (i.e. it was removed). All that was there was the level
was by "invitation only." Did it change again? I thought it was 60 nights, and 3 different brands, etc.

P.S.: I disapprove of the phrase "Spire Elite".

Last edited by Spock Seat; Jul 26, 2015 at 11:37 am
Old Jul 26, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Spock Seat
Are there too many RA's? Something tells me someone very envious decided to create and green light this criteria.
When I recently checked the Criteria, none of this was listed (i.e. it was removed). All that was there was the level
was by "invitation only." Did it change again? I thought it was 60 nights, and 3 different brands, etc.

P.S.: I disapprove of the phrase "Spire Elite".
Yes the 75night with 30 IC's appeared when Spire cam out only to be removed within a couple of hours and left as .. By invitation only like it had been for many years.

One might think 75 nights is due to gratis Spire to RAs, but historically the gratis Platinum was only free to to those us RAs referred and referral certs disappeared in April 2014.

RAs will find it virtually impossible to hit the needed 60nights with 20 IC nights without earning 75k points needed for Spire as now IC stats are points per Us$ not that crappy 2k plus bonus point s per stay
Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:22 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
Originally Posted by scubaccr
RAs will find it virtually impossible to hit the needed 60nights with 20 IC nights without earning 75k points needed for Spire as now IC stats are points per Us$ not that crappy 2k plus bonus point s per stay
That change was the best ever change in the last 2 years !!!
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
My RA status has expired on 31 July 2015. I am now Spire Ambassador.

I stayed for 32 nights at 10-15 ICs and 30 nights at the other brands. The last stay (5 nights) has not yet been posted as I checked out yesterday (31 July). Additionally 5-6 rewards nights at 2-3 properties.

I am not sure if the 5-night stay counted, but my status has been downgraded today. I will quite likely cancel all future IC bookings, SPG looks better.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by Dark Blue

I stayed for 32 nights at 10-15 ICs and 30 nights at the other brands. The last stay (5 nights) has not yet been posted as I checked out yesterday (31 July). Additionally 5-6 rewards nights at 2-3 properties.

I am not sure if the 5-night stay counted, but my status has been downgraded today. I will quite likely cancel all future IC bookings, SPG looks better.
That's a bit disconcerting. I'd wait till the stay posts and call AMB services, and see if your numbers tally with theirs.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by turner32
That's a bit disconcerting. I'd wait till the stay posts and call AMB services, and see if your numbers tally with theirs.
I have emailed the Ambassador Service querying if the last stay counted for the renewal. I renewed the RA status for several years, my travel pattern has unchanged for the past one year. I don't know if it's due to "75 nights" or simply I was not invited.

I will keep you updated.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
My RA year ends a month from now but I see online I was just renewed yesterday. I have no idea what my 12 month stats are, but for calendar year I'm around 100 nights counting 25 rollover. And I think at least 50 IC nights.

Jul 31, 2015 | Other | Royal Ambassador Renewal
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:09 am

I can confirm that the rule of 60 nights total of which at least 20 are ICs etc. is still in force - just ring AMB Services when those last nights post.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
I can confirm that the rule of 60 nights total of which at least 20 are ICs etc. is still in force - just ring AMB Services when those last nights post.
Really? I'm panicking a little now..
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:15 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,

Hi, i had this also 2 years ago. I was in the middle of a trip and half way I was downgraded. I called them up and after 2-3 days it was fixed up to RA again. I did tell them i would cancel otherwise the remainder of the trip (14 nights).
Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold

Why does everyone over react to the imagined slight by IHG of a reduction in Elite Status. Also award night stays having no meaning regards RA qualification.

Downgrade, albeit temporary, is purely your own fault for cutting things so fine! You just admitted you only have 57nights posted before midday 31stJuly and you now have 5nights more to post shortly as you checked out yesterday Friday and know full well you need wait 4-5 days for those to boost your total to 62 paid qual nights to requal as an RA

Look on the bright side, this could well work to your advantage as if you get Amb pack first, followed a few days later by RA pack you get 2x bogo certs which are always worth having

I am sure IHG will bump you back to RA the day after your 5nighrs post. Unless you have manually adjusted nights to be qual nights, in which case you will need ring Amb a Desk and ask for a manual count as the auto-nights-counter for RA qual still ignores manually adjusted nights
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Why does everyone over react to the imagined slight by IHG of a reduction in Elite Status. Also award night stays having no meaning regards RA qualification.

Downgrade, albeit temporary, is purely your own fault for cutting things so fine! You just admitted you only have 57nights posted before midday 31stJuly and you now have 5nights more to post shortly as you checked out yesterday Friday and know full well you need wait 4-5 days for those to boost your total to 62 paid qual nights to requal as an RA

Look on the bright side, this could well work to your advantage as if you get Amb pack first, followed a few days later by RA pack you get 2x bogo certs which are always worth having

I am sure IHG will bump you back to RA the day after your 5nighrs post. Unless you have manually adjusted nights to be qual nights, in which case you will need ring Amb a Desk and ask for a manual count as the auto-nights-counter for RA qual still ignores manually adjusted nights
Thanks scubaccr. I was told I only had had 52 nights, which is wrong. Yes, a few ICs did not post stays properly (in particular, one stay split into multiple bookings such as BFR & ADV etc.) and manually corrected them.

If they don't put me back, it may be time to go. I enjoyed the RA perks a lot for several years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.