New RA rules after SPIRE

Old Aug 13, 2015, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by chrism20
Maybe I am wrong, if I am I apologise however IHG sending out Mr X examples certainly isn't their style.
Apology accepted.

I've already got the good advice to call the hotline and talk to a supervisor instead of sending a request by email. In the future I'll stick to the protocol.

I changed to IHG in October last year and I've got the RA since last month, so I have to ask things, that others already know.

The reason I've made my request by email is that I've got fast and helpful answers on my emails before. That's the answer for the same question in June this year:

"Thank you for your e-mail.

We wish to inform you that in order to qualify for invitation to Royal Ambassador status, an Ambassador member must, during their membership year, stay at least 60 qualifying nights in any IHG properties including InterContinental Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza, Hotel Indigo, HUALUXE, EVEN Hotels, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge Suites and Candlewood Suites.

Please be advised that at least 20 of these qualifying nights must be at InterContinental Hotels & Resorts properties. The member must also stay at 3 or more different InterContinental Hotels & Resorts properties.
Our records show that for the past 365 days, you have accumulated xx qualifying nights, xx of which were made at x different InterContinental Hotels. May we advise that Reward Night stays do not count towards the Royal Ambassador tier. In this regard, you need at least x more qualifying nights to qualify for the said status.

Please note that your total nights earned is still subject to change depending on your stay activity within the coming days / months.

Rest assured that your InterContinental stay activities will be closely monitored. It is our sincere hope that you will be able to qualify to the top one percent of all InterContinental Ambassador members.
We hope this addressed your concern."

So, I was confused by the email from IHG I posted before. The fact, that some guys here wonder if it's a fake, shows me, that I was right to be confused.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:02 am

Your RA status expires in two and a half months time but you only made RA last month?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:27 am

Your RA status expires in two and a half months time but you only made RA last month?
Correct.

I changed to IHG in Q4 last year and bought the Ambassador Status. In July I had my 60th night and got automatically qualified for the RA until the end of this Ambassador period (November 1 2015).

At the end of this Ambassador period I'll have 70 nights (56 in 7 different IC). And I wanted to know, if I get the RA renewed, even if IHG have changed their t&c on short/without notice.

Now I've learned, that nobody really knows the answer to that question and that I've asked to early. Some say that I should ask one month, IHG say I should ask two or three month prior the end of the Ambassador period. So nobody really knows the right time for that too. And I've learned, that some guys think that an original IHG email is a fake. Crazy, but fascinating.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by thbe
Correct.

I changed to IHG in Q4 last year and bought the Ambassador Status. In July I had my 60th night and got automatically qualified for the RA until the end of this Ambassador period (November 1 2015).

At the end of this Ambassador period I'll have 70 nights (56 in 7 different IC). And I wanted to know, if I get the RA renewed, even if IHG have changed their t&c on short/without notice.

Now I've learned, that nobody really knows the answer to that question and that I've asked to early. Some say that I should ask one month, IHG say I should ask two or three month prior the end of the Ambassador period. So nobody really knows the right time for that too. And I've learned, that some guys think that an original IHG email is a fake. Crazy, but fascinating.
It is a bit crazy that they have reverted back to the by invitation wording and really quite frustrating that if there is a renewal issue you can't ever say if it is a cock up or genuine loss of RA. This is something that really hurts IHG I think and has royally pissed off a good number of former RA's.

All that said the anecdotal evidence here is that behind the scenes the 60/20/3 rule for renewal is holding.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:55 am

I thought once you got RA you were automatically renewed for (Amb) another year or have I picked that up wrong?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 8:17 am

I thought once you got RA you were automatically renewed for (Amb) another year or have I picked that up wrong?
I've got the RA automatically with my 60th night, but I can't see in my profile, when it ends. So I send an email to the Ambassador service desk. That's the answer I've got 3,5 weeks ago:

"Thank you for taking time to contact InterContinental Ambassador Service Center.
Foremost, we are delighted to hear that you were able to qualify for the Royal Ambassador status.

We wish to take this opportunity to inform you that your Royal Ambassador status will expire on 01 November 2015. May we advise that its validity follows the original expiration date of your Ambassador status.

Further to your inquiry, please be advised that in order to requalify for invitation to Royal Ambassador status, an Ambassador member must, during their membership year, stay at least 60 qualifying nights in any IHG properties including InterContinental Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza, Hotel Indigo, HUALUXE™, EVEN™ Hotels, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge Suites and Candlewood Suites.

Please be informed that at least 20 of these qualifying nights must be at InterContinental Hotels & Resorts properties. The member must also stay at 3 or more different InterContinental Hotels & Resorts properties.

Please note that your total nights earned is still subject to change and will be based on your stay activities for the past 365 days and within the coming days / months."

Some days later they changed their t&c.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by thbe
I've got the RA automatically with my 60th night, but I can't see in my profile, when it ends. So I send an email to the Ambassador service desk. That's the answer I've got 3,5 weeks ago:

"Thank you for taking time to contact InterContinental Ambassador Service Center.
Foremost, we are delighted to hear that you were able to qualify for the Royal Ambassador status.

We wish to take this opportunity to inform you that your Royal Ambassador status will expire on 01 November 2015. May we advise that its validity follows the original expiration date of your Ambassador status.

Further to your inquiry, please be advised that in order to requalify for invitation to Royal Ambassador status, an Ambassador member must, during their membership year, stay at least 60 qualifying nights in any IHG properties including InterContinental Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza, Hotel Indigo, HUALUXE, EVEN Hotels, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge Suites and Candlewood Suites.

Please be informed that at least 20 of these qualifying nights must be at InterContinental Hotels & Resorts properties. The member must also stay at 3 or more different InterContinental Hotels & Resorts properties.

Please note that your total nights earned is still subject to change and will be based on your stay activities for the past 365 days and within the coming days / months."

Some days later they changed their t&c.
Even when IHG updated the t&c's to mention for les than a year, the 60/20 criteria IHG were careful to say that is minimum to be considered and does not mean you will be offered RA on achieving 60/20

However in the last couple of months before ones RA status expires it used to be possible to ring Amb Helpdesk and ask if you were close to requal as an RA and Helpdesk would inform you that you are either A)probably safe or B)need at lest non more stays at ICs/IHGs

In those days 3-4 years ago we were reporting renewals at circa 55nights without appealing , then in 2013 RAs were failing to requal with their usual 55nights and told they needed 60nights which was what got added to t&c's a bit later
Old Aug 13, 2015, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No your year stays the same and you get RA for the balance of your AMB year.

You don't pay for AMB each year as long as you have RA and you get a free year as a soft landing when you drop from RA.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
No your year stays the same and you get RA for the balance of your AMB year.

You don't pay for AMB each year as long as you have RA and you get a free year as a soft landing when you drop from RA.
Thanks for the clarification
Old Aug 16, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
Thanks for the clarification
When I got first RA (3 or 4 years ago) I also got it first only for 2 months. the remainder of my AMB year. I lost it direct after 2 months. Yeah, I called (I not like email anyway). And got it back the following day as my stays over the last 12 months was the same as i got it in the first place.

Calling helps.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:05 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
RA renewed 8/31. Excluding adjusted stays, I had 72 qualifying nights, 65 of those at 13 different ICs during the previous 365 days.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Had to chase again this morning despite all the Amb Helpdesk promises this morning, September 1st, I had dropped back to Spire Ambbassador

Last 12months I have 25 IC Nights , not sure how many total IHG nights , but have 90 paid qual (non IC Brand nights) since Jan2015

My problem/Issue was 40 ordinary nights and 8 IC nights had to be manually adjusted, so were ignored when not-renewing RA, and I have spend several hours collectively fixing with online missing points forms since Jan2015 and several phone calls too

whilst fixing my 5night August IC stay I escalated to be put through to a supervisor and asked if IHG would compensate me at all for all my time this year fixing Tens of incorrectly posted nights..
Supervisor offered , 5k , and that appears to be all the Supervisors are authorised to offer. I asked to go escalate higher due to sheer volume of corrections I had to process and next level up then offered me 15k points (nominal value $100 based on P+C) which I accepted
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My renewal seems to have happened last night so now I just need to chase up a "non-qualifying" palazzo stay last week.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, WR, AA Gold, Friend of Dorothy
My renewal seems to have happened last night so now I just need to chase up a "non-qualifying" palazzo stay last week.
I too have had difficulty getting my Palazzo stay to qualify despite booking a rate through Palazzo call center and being told it was a qualifying rate. Seriously annoying.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 4:47 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
My RA is up at the end of September. Taking August to July stays I am on something like 110 nights with 40 IC nights and I didn't get an early renewal. I am never normally renewed until the end of August.

Ditto here; I have long since requalified, with 139 total nights out of which 93 were in at least 15 different ICHs (plus 82 "rollover nights" which probably only applies to SPIRE renewals), and as usual, the status didn't a) automatically renew when I hit either 60 or 75 nights, etc., b) didn't renew 3 months before, c) didn't renew 2 months before.

Which means it will likely renew in early December, around 3 weeks before the card expires. And online will likely say "Ambassador Renewal" instead of "Royal Ambassador Renewal" which will give me that momentary sinking feeling until I remember that that's the same exact thing that happened last year, the year before, and the year before that, and that the card I receive is the correct RA card.. Not sure why some people get renewed earlier, or immediately upon hitting their requalification. And not sure why some of these renewals say "Royal Ambassador Renewal." These are those mysteries which give the RA program mythical status but drive members crazy. Thankfully I'm in the upper percent of the "1 percent" and have no doubt that I'll requalify, as I have now for well over a decade (going back to the days of the 6 Continents Club program, with its 3 levels of SCCS, SCCE and SCCA), but if my travel pattern were to change to stay in the 60-ish nights a year level, I can already feel the angst. I thought it was wonderful that they actually published the qualification criteria briefly (even though I think only 20 nights in ICs is kinda low, and that revenues should be a way to qualify), so it's disappointing to see the reversion to some mystical "invitation-only" level and the inconsistent information being given. Oh, and the ongoing barrage of baseless speculation on flyertalk, since that's what we seem to do. It's become a spectator sport, and for some of us, a participant sport. Maybe we should keep it that way :-)

Last edited by vsevolod4; Nov 19, 2015 at 4:55 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.