Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by kexbox
I've heard rumors about a new way to interpret the T&Cs.

The clause

(https://www.ihg.com/hotels/gb/en/cus...rms-conditions)
is supposed to be subject to "nonobservance" by BRG staff.

Has anyone been confronted with this issue recently (end of last week)?
Had a claim the other day, running as clockwork for me.
Old May 18, 2015, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by lhwjud
IHG has the same rate as Booking.com, except that IHG also has a 1.5% "service charge". It is possible that brg desk could argue the rate is same and deny your claim.

AP brg is always a risky attempt though.

A few years ago I had a claim in New Zealand denied because I missed that IHG included a 1.5% service

From a claim response dated 2-3-13, "With regards to the 1.5% Service Charge which is considered as a Merchant Service Fee for Australian hotels, it would only apply for guests who will be paying with credit cards. Please be informed that this amount is being paid at the hotel and will not be part of the computation for the Best Price Guarantee. This kind of fee is also considered as “Extra Fees”. As per the terms of the program under “Matching Prices”, it is also stated that “Any taxes, tariffs or fees imposed by a governmental authority (e.g., federal, state or local) will not be considered as part of the Best Price Guarantee claim. The Guarantee does not include extra fees such as extra person charges.”
Old May 18, 2015, 8:47 pm

I'm currently fighting with IHG BPG because they say that city taxes aren't included on the third party website. When the third party site says nothing about them being excluded or that I would have additional charges upon check in. Does anyone have any experience dealing with this.
Old May 18, 2015, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by discountsae
I'm currently fighting with IHG BPG because they say that city taxes aren't included on the third party website. When the third party site says nothing about them being excluded or that I would have additional charges upon check in. Does anyone have any experience dealing with this.
the 3rd party site isn't going to know if it's missing city taxes or not, so the fact that it doesn't mention it, is irrelevant. What is relevant, is how the taxes are calculated. If it's a flat fee (i.e. $3 per stay or per day) and not a percentage, then chances are, the 3rd party site does not have it included and this is something the hotel will collect upon check in. If it's a percentage, and your reservation is prepaid, then the BRG team is incorrect in thinking that the hotel will be able to assess such fee, as they can not charge you a percentage of your booking if they are not the one's who collected the money or set the rate in the first place.
Old May 19, 2015, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by discountsae
The argument shouldn't simply concern the third party not charging the city tax, they need to make it clear that IHG does include the tax in the online calculation.

If that is the case, and your claim is a narrow one, where the missing tax tips the balance, then you've lost your claim.

And you're probably going to have trust IHG/the hotel about whether or not the OTA includes the city tax.
Old May 19, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: Gold Star Alliance,IHG Spire Ambassador, Starwood, Hilton Honor Diamond, Silver Accor, Diamond Hyatt
Originally Posted by mitpat474
Had a claim the other day, running as clockwork for me.
I booked the lowest rate available on IHG for 1 night(best flexible for stay in 3 days). Found a lower rate and sent the claim.

Their answer is that they found the lower rate but as it is a prepaid/non refundable rate on third party website it doesn't match to the terms that stipulate it should be the same condition.

I replied with the terms showing that a flexible can be compared to a lower rate if it is lower and got same reply with terms number 5 matching price same condition...

So started from last week I always get rejected claim for same reason despite it was working before all the time.

I think they will change their terms with this condition...
Old May 19, 2015, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Lotfi070
I booked the lowest rate available on IHG for 1 night(best flexible for stay in 3 days). Found a lower rate and sent the claim.

Their answer is that they found the lower rate but as it is a prepaid/non refundable rate on third party website it doesn't match to the terms that stipulate it should be the same condition.

I replied with the terms showing that a flexible can be compared to a lower rate if it is lower and got same reply with terms number 5 matching price same condition...

So started from last week I always get rejected claim for same reason despite it was working before all the time.

I think they will change their terms with this condition...
Mines was approved sunday morning 17th
Old May 19, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: SQ
I had a BRG approved in NYC which I'm quite happy about as the rates were sky high.

They emailed me and let me know that they're working on getting the rate changed to zero, which is a bit confusing to me. I don't understand why they can't just do it automatically. Is this normal?
Old May 19, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL GM / HH DIAMOND / IHG PlatAmb / AB Silv
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
I had a BRG approved in NYC which I'm quite happy about as the rates were sky high.

They emailed me and let me know that they're working on getting the rate changed to zero, which is a bit confusing to me. I don't understand why they can't just do it automatically. Is this normal?
Yes, that´s normal. Sometimes you have to pay upfront and get reimbursed 4-6 weeks after your stay, sometimes they adjust the rate to 0,01.
So, you´re save with the free night, just not sure how they will handle the "payment" yet.
Old May 20, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: Gold Star Alliance,IHG Spire Ambassador, Starwood, Hilton Honor Diamond, Silver Accor, Diamond Hyatt
Originally Posted by mitpat474
Mines was approved sunday morning 17th
And you booked a flexible rate comparing to a prepaid ?

Here is the new answer :

We know that this will be frustrating on your part but please be informed that the outcome of this validation we made was attained from an appropriate premise. Thus, we stand with the result of our verification.

So it means they just don't want to recognize the part of comparing the lowest rate on IHG with the prepaid
Old May 20, 2015, 4:25 pm

And you booked a flexible rate comparing to a prepaid ?
Yes I did
Old May 20, 2015, 4:33 pm

Here is the new answer :

We know that this will be frustrating on your part but please be informed that the outcome of this validation we made was attained from an appropriate premise. Thus, we stand with the result of our verification.

So it means they just don't want to recognize the part of comparing the lowest rate on IHG with the prepaid
Sometimes with these guys you just have to let it go and retry, even after 3-4 attempts let it go. Try again in a few days should probably work.
Old May 21, 2015, 9:37 am

Yeah don't bother going back and forth with them over it. Just cancel and rebook.

I note the response time is down to a few hours at the moment?
Old May 21, 2015, 10:36 am

I will try in a week because all this week and last week got rejected claim for rate problem.
So maybe they want to hold a moment with my claims^^

Today I got a reply in 2h ! So back to quick answer.
Old May 22, 2015, 8:24 am

So I cancelled and rebooked my room and was approved within 6 hours. One thing I did was to not your my IHG rewards number and change my address and phone number to my work. I have had lots of BPG claims with IHG over the years. I wondered if this helped me get approved with less scrutiny. My question is this: Once approved for a BPG claim can I add my IHG rewards number or is that considered modifying a reservation and will void my claim?

This really only affects the stay if they end up reimbursing me by check, which has been the typical course of action in my experience lately. (Then I would be eligible for rewards points)

Last edited by discountsae; May 22, 2015 at 8:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.