Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by durberville
Weird situation, not sure if it's a problem. Got an email for successful BPG at IC Los Angeles. I was booked in the Deluxe Room, at $461 total. I haven't yet received the second email saying that the hotel has accepted the rate change.

Today I checked my IHG reservations. The IC LAX showed as modified. Clicked on it, and it still shows the $461 rate, however, the room type has changed to "ONE BEDROOM EXECUTIVE SUITE WITH BALCONY" from "Deluxe Room". That is a small upgrade on the Deluxe Room that I booked. I did not make this modification. So it seems like the hotel has upgraded me?

The concern obviously is that the modification is seen as one that invalidates the BPG. I'm not too concerned because (a) the rate has remained the same, and (b) I did not make the change.

Anybody have experience with this?
How soon is your stay? Is it within the next week or so?

I've seen this before (most recently at the CP LAX). Essentially it's the hotel pre-upgrading your room (typically, in the days/week before your arrival) in conjunction with a successful BRG. I really wouldn't worry.

-FlyerBeek
Old Apr 6, 2015, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by BorussiaMG
This will not work.

You could have booked the cheapest available room and claim their BPG. Howsoever the risk is on you as a cancellation would not be free of charge and IHG's BPG desk sometimes comes up with ridiculous reasons for denying a valid claim.

This happens regularly though.
- often 1-3 days prior to arrival
- sometimes a few weeks prior to arrival (i.e. during the Octoberfest)
- sometimes their flex rate is not flexible at all (as in your case)

I have faced the same problem while looking for the IC Berlin during the Champions League final in June. Rate available was called "Best flexible" but would have been strict. I did not have the balls to risk >600€ and used a free night instead.
Thank you for your feedback. I'm aware of the issue that I didn't follow standard procedure but I'm afraid they will not honor their BPG anyway when I have already made my reservation, since I would have to pay the full amount in case of cancellation. There wouldn't be any "commercial incentive" left for IHG to honor my claim.

I haven't received any reply yet (and I did send a copy to Amb customer service, altough I don't have high hopes for that) so I will just wait for now. Otherwise, I will be in Da Nang anyway so perhaps will just make the reservation and will file a proper claim.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Epicura
I haven't received any reply yet (and I did send a copy to Amb customer service, altough I don't have high hopes for that) so I will just wait for now.
Don't expect any answer. If you get one you probably have to deal with a text-module not answering your question.

On the other hand I still like their BPG desk a lot. I filed a claim yesterday (12:00 pm CET) and 19 hrs later they approved my finding and are trying to adjust my stay ^
Old Apr 9, 2015, 11:44 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Kimsbrand
This means that you can't claim any "ANA only" Hotel, as they are not eligible for a BRG. However you could claim any IC ANA; CP ANA or whatever on the IHG homepage (or on www.anaihghotels.co.jp).
Before someone tries to argue: I claimed successfully an IC ANA in Japan 4 days ago, so it is definitely possible.

Also I haven't such problems with the brg desk and finding sites (for central europe). Maybe it strongly depends on the region where you search. Are these problems more or less only with US stays or can anyone confirm this for europe also?
I just got burned 2 weeks ago by IHG with their stupid BRG bullcrap.

Just now I found another instance where hotels.com is $215/night for my upcoming Tokyo stay and IHG is $300/night.

Im booking through hotels.com this time.

I'm not even risking it.

Last edited by 355F1; Apr 9, 2015 at 11:57 am
Old Apr 9, 2015, 5:05 pm

Here is what I got back from IHG, has anyone else received a reply back like this, I told them no way in hell am I trusting them to reimburse me after my stay, change the booking to reflect a 0.00 charge.

Greetings from IHG’s Best Price Guarantee Support Desk.

Please accept our apologies. We were unable to adjust your reservation to reflect your free night on 01 June 2015 at the Holiday Inn Express Staten Island West. In order to fulfill the BPG promise of providing the first night free for reservation 60825544, we will reimburse the amount you paid via US denominated check. You can expect to receive payment in four to six weeks after you completed your stay.

The check will be sent to your complete mailing address on file:

We look forward to your response. Again, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience that this may cause you.

Best Regards,

(...)
Best Price Guarantee Helpdesk
IHG
Email: [email protected]
www.ihg.com/bestprice

Last edited by FLYGVA; Apr 10, 2015 at 6:36 am Reason: edited name of employee out of post
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by hilltop15
Here is what I got back from IHG, has anyone else received a reply back like this, I told them no way in hell am I trusting them to reimburse me after my stay, change the booking to reflect a 0.00 charge.

Greetings from IHG’s Best Price Guarantee Support Desk.

Please accept our apologies. We were unable to adjust your reservation to reflect your free night on 01 June 2015 at the Holiday Inn Express Staten Island West. In order to fulfill the BPG promise of providing the first night free for reservation 60825544, we will reimburse the amount you paid via US denominated check. You can expect to receive payment in four to six weeks after you completed your stay.

The check will be sent to your complete mailing address on file:

We look forward to your response. Again, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience that this may cause you.

Best Regards,

(...)
Best Price Guarantee Helpdesk
IHG
Email: [email protected]
www.ihg.com/bestprice

Your post is very inapropriate. IHG always tries to adjust BPG-reservations because that is in their own best interest. But sometimes the hotel isn't willing or able to adjust within the given time frame. It's always been like that, so don't expect IHG to follow up on your demands... they guarantee a free night, and that is what they confirmed you.

My experience with reimbursements is that IHG always refunds correctly within the 4 to 6 week time frame, never had any problems with that. Those are the rules of the game, they adjust or reimburse. If you don't like that, then don't play the game. And if you can't afford to pre-finance that one night, then you don't even belong in their hotels.

Last edited by Stealthmode; Apr 10, 2015 at 11:49 am
Old Apr 10, 2015, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by hilltop15
I've never had a problem with IHG reimbursing me. In fact, there are a variety of reasons why I prefer when BRGs work out that way. But if you're really going to be a hardliner about them changing the rate, you'll probably wind up disappointed. If the hotel isn't willing or able to adjust the price, there's not much the BPG team can do about it.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 7:06 pm

Well, as expected no answer came. At the time I wanted to make the reservation for a 2 nights stay, the hotel was already fully booked for one of the nights involved. Perhaps availability has opened up again afterwards, but I didn't want to take any risk (ending up a night on the beach with my children ) so I decided to extend my stay at the Nam Hai. Despite still being short of a few nights for the set your sights (will fix that with a matress run at a cheap Hix), this was after all a better idea anyway I guess, since prices at IC Da Nang were higher than average whilst prices at Nam Hai were, relatively speaking, much more reasonable. Not going to be a slave of my IHG account .

Would have been nice to know how they would have handled a BRG given the cancellation policy on some OTA's though.

Originally Posted by BorussiaMG
Don't expect any answer. If you get one you probably have to deal with a text-module not answering your question.

On the other hand I still like their BPG desk a lot. I filed a claim yesterday (12:00 pm CET) and 19 hrs later they approved my finding and are trying to adjust my stay ^
Old Apr 10, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: Enough
Got BRG at Intercontinental Sydney Club Room within 24 hours on Adv. Purchase rate. Rate changed to 0.01 within day. Great work, and very happy!
Old Apr 12, 2015, 10:24 pm

Anybody else notice some weird responses from the BRG group lately in the past few weeks? I've gotten a rejection or two which are clearly incorrect. Everytime I send them back, they're corrected, but still. It's getting slightly obnoxious at this point.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
I made a booking and filed a claim ten minutes later. Then I get an email two days later that says because I filed a claim over 24 hours later, they wouldn't accept it.

Totally bizarre.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:34 pm

BRG not worth the time reading the three letters...

Booked HIE LAX through the website for $123...Bookit.com had it for $113. Because I did not book it through their website for a higher rate, my brg was declined...They further said that the room was no longer available on the bookit site. Well, I checked and sure enough it was still there. I wrote IHG whether I should rebook my stay on their site at the higher rate...I am sure I will get another truthful response...
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by garygleck
Booked HIE LAX through the website for $123...Bookit.com had it for $113. Because I did not book it through their website for a higher rate, my brg was declined...They further said that the room was no longer available on the bookit site. Well, I checked and sure enough it was still there. I wrote IHG whether I should rebook my stay on their site at the higher rate...I am sure I will get another truthful response...
You'll probably just get a standard form letter back from them - in 24 to 48+ hours. The BRG definitely works if you follow their rules to a 'T' ... most of the time. There are always bad experiences with what should be valid claims, but I've definitely had my share of successes too. The problem is that it’s so difficult to find a valid claim nowadays that it often isn't worth looking.

Back to your situation, I'm understanding that you booked through Bookit? If so, with IHG you need to book through their site to submit the claim. Always book a refundable rate (which is why it's tough to find valid claims), or a non-refundable price you'd be willing to pay for even if your claim is denied.

If you have a refundable rate that's still active on Bookit and the higher rate is also available through IHG, I'd cancel, book through IHG, and file the claim again. You're risking paying the difference between the direct and third-party price in the worst case, but if the claim is denied and the cheaper third-party rate is still active you could always rebook it and cancel the direct one.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by JDavis625
You'll probably just get a standard form letter back from them - in 24 to 48+ hours. The BRG definitely works if you follow their rules to a 'T' ... most of the time. There are always bad experiences with what should be valid claims, but I've definitely had my share of successes too. The problem is that it’s so difficult to find a valid claim nowadays that it often isn't worth looking.

Back to your situation, I'm understanding that you booked through Bookit? If so, with IHG you need to book through their site to submit the claim. Always book a refundable rate (which is why it's tough to find valid claims), or a non-refundable price you'd be willing to pay for even if your claim is denied.

If you have a refundable rate that's still active on Bookit and the higher rate is also available through IHG, I'd cancel, book through IHG, and file the claim again. You're risking paying the difference between the direct and third-party price in the worst case, but if the claim is denied and the cheaper third-party rate is still active you could always rebook it and cancel the direct one.
From what I was told, my claim was denied because I didn't book the "lowest" rate from IHG, meaning "non-refundable rate"

then is my understanding correct that you can only submit BRG for non-refundable rates UNLESS only refundable rates are available and in that case you can BRG against the refundable rate?

I have a hard time understanding all the details of their BRG, lot more complex than other programs.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:37 am

Rebooked

To be more clear, I booked on IHG site and compared it with bookit.com. Today, I cancelled the original booking and rebooked on IHG site at the higher flexible rate so it would exactly match the best flexible rate on bookit. If the previous poster is correct and that it requires "non refundable" matches, I am out of luck, but would never trust IHG to even match that, though it is also higher than bookit.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.