Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by samwkchan
The terms and conditions have changed substantially. Here is a summary of notable changes. The quoted paragraphs are extracted from the terms and conditions on the official website:
  1. Comparison of rates in different currencies is not allowed.
    Before revision of the terms and conditions, rates in different currencies can be compared given that OANDA's rates are used and the difference is greater than US$5 when converted to US Dollars.

2. Comparison is allowed when the competitor's rate is less or equally restrictive on cancellation and refund policies.
    Before revision of the terms and conditions, cancellation and refund policies are not compared.

3. ANA Hotels are included in the Best Price Guarantee scheme.
    Before revision of the terms and conditions, ANA Hotels are not included.

4. Extra person fees cannot be included in the comparison except for IHG hotels located in Japan and for ANA website.
    Before revision of the terms and conditions, extra person fees may be included.

5. Taxes and service fees are excluded when rates are compared.
    Before revision of the terms and conditions, it was stated that taxes are either included in or excluded from the rates when they are compared.
The revisions are great in that they make the BRG much, much clearer! ^
Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Except in the later paragragh at their T&C stating that
The Guarantee does not apply to ANA hotels.
Still confusing

Also their pricing system is simply messy - when I had to change my ressie into non-refundable, there were at least 30 other rates available. It took me a while to find the right rate to click on .
Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Originally Posted by yevlesh2
Yep, same here . Submitted 1 claim on Saturday and 1 (for a different hotel) on Tuesday morning .
Absolutely no response to either one so far.
I got two (positivee ^ )replies today at 09:08 and 11:00 ish.

If the first one was for the original claim it was 36hrs later.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
Called them this morning.

They had no record of the claim submitted on Saturday. Not quite sure how that would be happen since I have a screenshot of the BRG form that I filled out and the confirmation page taken right after submitting the claim .
Anyway, will just cancel that night and rebook/resubmit - the rate is still there.

Received a positive response to the claim submitted on Tuesday morning.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Originally Posted by yevlesh2
Called them this morning.

They had no record of the claim submitted on Saturday. Not quite sure how that would be happen since I have a screenshot of the BRG form that I filled out and the confirmation page taken right after submitting the claim .
Anyway, will just cancel that night and rebook/resubmit - the rate is still there.

Received a positive response to the claim submitted on Tuesday morning.
Looks like the same happened to me-for the claim I submitted on 3rd October.

They in fact repsonded to my second claim I input on the 4th Oct at 18:00.

Might just email next time as at least there is a copy-wheras with the online form there is no record at my end.

The 3rd party rate is still there but I was booking an AP rate with IHG
Old Oct 5, 2011, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Clear rules are good. However, the current terms and conditions (as of 5 October 2011) becomes a void promise in many cases. In other words, IHG is escaping from promising the lowest rate.

Suppose there is a room available on IHG at USD 1000 and sold at GBP 1 on a third-party website. The current promise cannot help travelers solely because of different currencies used. This hypothetical case may be too extreme, but its analogues are always seen easily. A traveler cannot rest assured unless all websites in other currencies are checked. It is clearly not the original meaning of the promise.

That's why I strongly suggest that the change of currencies must be allowed again without any discretion from the hotel group. (In other words, the hotel group can set clear and rigid rules on how currencies are converted and the required margin, but they must honor claims as long as the thresholds are met.) Otherwise, please abandon the whole best price guarantee claim scheme which is a void promise usually.

Although the current scheme is absolute legal by law, it denies too many normal claims and makes the promise hollow. Using such a void promise as its advertising tool is ethically unacceptable (well, again, it is legally sound). It is just like a supermarket pursuing a best price guarantee but states in the fine print that only prices in Antarctica can be compared.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by samwkchan
Suppose there is a room available on IHG at USD 1000 and sold at GBP 1 on a third-party website. The current promise cannot help travelers solely because of different currencies used. This hypothetical case may be too extreme, but its analogues are always seen easily. A traveler cannot rest assured unless all websites in other currencies are checked. It is clearly not the original meaning of the promise.

That's why I strongly suggest that the change of currencies must be allowed again without any discretion from the hotel group. (In other words, the hotel group can set clear and rigid rules on how currencies are converted and the required margin, but they must honor claims as long as the thresholds are met.) Otherwise, please abandon the whole best price guarantee claim scheme which is a void promise usually.
I agree with what you are saying. For example IHG seems to quote price in native currency (i.e. a UK hotel will be in Sterling), but many sites quote prices that are based on the buyers local country. Now the next thing is, when I access a 3rd party site from the UK, it might automatically quote sterling, but when IHG accesses it from the USA it might automatically quote dollars, so does this make this comparision a fail ? Are you allowed to tell IHG to switch the site to the corresponding correct currency ?

I understand however why they have a problem with the currency thing. I am guessing here, but I had a competing rate that was quoted in dollars on the 3rd party site, quoted in euros on IHG, and when I asked IHG to give me a dollar equivalent, it worked out about $8 more expensive. But I'm pretty sure this was because the 3rd party site had the same price in euros but was using a different exchange rate to work out the displayed dollar value. It was a high value room ($750) so even a small difference in exchange rate was enought to get me beyond $5. Perhaps the 3rd party site only adjusts its rate every night, whereas IHG adjusts throughout the day, or IHG was using an average, but the 3rd party was using a max ?

Last edited by tangey; Oct 5, 2011 at 3:59 pm
Old Oct 5, 2011, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have just filed 2 claims from a site that allow you to choose currency and all extra costs are listed in hotel's local currency. Let's see how the BRG team handles it.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nacho
I have just filed 2 claims from a site that allow you to choose currency and all extra costs are listed in hotel's local currency. Let's see how the BRG team handles it.
Why the secrecy?

What is the name of the site?
Old Oct 5, 2011, 7:22 pm

Please keep us informed of what happens. I must appreciate if you can tell which sites offer such excellent features.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Just got an email from the BRG folks.

"I apologize for the late reply. Please be advise that hotel werent able to adjust your stay as a free night. In order for us to honor the Best Price Guarantee, we will reimburse you with your stay. Someone from Guest Relations Department will contact you for the reimbursement process."

This is a Penthouse night, with a price tag of 2,200 EUR.

Since I have this in writing, I am gonna go along with it.

In addition, as I will be paying the hotel for this night, I expect all the royal treatment that comes with.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Claims denied by BRG. I booked an executive room with breakfast (it didn't show up as non-refundable), so the price was way above the comparison site. However I didn't know that all excutive rooms in that property include breakfast - not sure if it's in the lounge or actual breakfast. As I'm not familiar with IHG I thought my claims would go through, but nope. Their rate system is rather messy compared to Marriott.

I don't mention the site because I'm so use to using the thread here at FT about Marriott's successful LNF. Someone from IHG or the properties might be monitoring the site.

I think the no currency comparison thing is a way to limit claims filed by customers .
Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:33 am

Claims denied by BRG. I booked an executive room with breakfast (it didn't show up as non-refundable), so the price was way above the comparison site. However I didn't know that all excutive rooms in that property include breakfast - not sure if it's in the lounge or actual breakfast. As I'm not familiar with IHG I thought my claims would go through, but nope. Their rate system is rather messy compared to Marriott.

I don't mention the site because I'm so use to using the thread here at FT about Marriott's successful LNF. Someone from IHG or the properties might be monitoring the site.

I think the no currency comparison thing is a way to limit claims filed by customers .
Sorry for that. However, it seems that the problem is not related to currencies, but the room type itself, right? If so, your case doesn't prove that the third-party website that you use is ineligible for comparison because it doesn't use the hotel's currency.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The weird thing is the booking system at IHG. I booked a king executive room with breakfast at IHG (refundable), then found a rate at a 3rd party site with the same thing with refundable rate. So I filed the claim, since I thought there is no non-refunable rate at IHG's site for the same type of room with breakfast.

Then I got a reply from them that the non-refundable rate is also including breakfast even though it's under 'advance purchase'. At the same time, they also have a section called 'advance purchase with breakfast'. It's incompetent that they display all the executive rooms marking 'advance purchase' and 'advance purchase with breakfast', whereas the ones with breakfast costs $20 more.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bsb21
Just got an email from the BRG folks.

"I apologize for the late reply. Please be advise that hotel werent able to adjust your stay as a free night. In order for us to honor the Best Price Guarantee, we will reimburse you with your stay. Someone from Guest Relations Department will contact you for the reimbursement process."

This is a Penthouse night, with a price tag of 2,200 EUR.

Since I have this in writing, I am gonna go along with it.

In addition, as I will be paying the hotel for this night, I expect all the royal treatment that comes with.
How long did it take for the BRG to contact you? I got 3 claims approved at the same time, one confirmation changed to complimentary (after about 24 hours or so).

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.