Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2011, 6:43 am

I am just wondering if the following scenario qualifies.

There are three rates on Priority Club:
1. advanced purchase rate (without breakfast)
2. best flexible rate (without breakfast)
3. best flexible rate (with breakfast)

Suppose I book a room with the best flexible rate (with breakfast) and find a lower rate (again, with breakfast) on a third-party website. does it qualify?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Estratos
Ok, I just called the hotel and asked if they will honor the complimentary stay. They said yes. So I am currently in a hotel (Crowne Plaza Sun Palace Beijing), got upgraded to a deluxe room and given free breakfast (the original rate did not include breakfast).

However, it does not wipe off the bad impression of BRG team not responding to any of my emails in the past 6 days.
Why is your room upgraded? Is it because of a gesture or your Royal Ambassador status?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum AMB, PrivilegeClub Gold
Originally Posted by samwkchan
Why is your room upgraded? Is it because of a gesture or your Royal Ambassador status?
I booked a twin bed room, but asked for a king bed during check-in. No ambassador status.

PS. They gave me a 4x PC bonus points leaflet with a code for registering.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum AMB, PrivilegeClub Gold
I booked a twin bed room, but asked for a king bed during check-in. No ambassador status.

PS. They gave me a 4x PC bonus points leaflet with a code for registering.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:33 am

Programs: IC PLAT AMB, clubcarlson Concierge, Le Club Accor Gold
Lightbulb

There are three rates on Priority Club:
1. advanced purchase rate (without breakfast)
2. best flexible rate (without breakfast)
3. best flexible rate (with breakfast)

Suppose I book a room with the best flexible rate (with breakfast) and find a lower rate (again, with breakfast) on a third-party website. does it qualify?
yes, this rate will qualify for the BRG if the rate on the third-party webside is also full flexible.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:36 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
If ICH doesn't have an advanced purchase rate, but 3rd party does, will they grant the guarantee against a higher BFR ?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: LH M&M - US AIR - BMI - HYATT - SPG - SIXT - PP
Originally Posted by tangey
If ICH doesn't have an advanced purchase rate, but 3rd party does, will they grant the guarantee against a higher BFR ?
Unfortunately not.

APR/APR or BFR/BFR
Old Oct 3, 2011, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by schauschun
yes, this rate will qualify for the BRG if the rate on the third-party webside is also full flexible.
In your particular situation you will be OK but, in general, they are claiming they can beat a fully flexible rate with a non-refundable rate -- even though the website guarantee implies otherwise.

What I have done to qualify is to find refundable rates on other websites that are lower than their non-refundable rates. I then book the ICH refundable rate and they "authorize" me to to get the guarantee so long as I switch my rez to their non-refundable rate.

This is making me nervous -- I mean, who really trusts these guys? -- but I have done it to qualify. I have it documented by email so I should be OK, but I have this bad feeling I will be fighting later for my free rooms. And what do I do when somebody bills me for the room?

It's just a sucky way of doing business, and can't possibly be making any of their customers happy.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by asmallworld
Unfortunately not.

APR/APR or BFR/BFR
IMO then its totally misleading "guarantee" then. They guarantee that I will "find the best prices for our hotels on our website", and yet If I find a cheaper rate than their cheapest possible rate, they'll not honour it ?

"We encourage you to review the full Terms & Conditions before filing your claim to make sure it is valid."

THe T/C make no mention of having to match APR with APR. Only that you much match with the lowest available price on the "best available rate"

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/.../rd/rate/lowtc

The FAQ-type page does talk about match rate types and specifically says you can't do it the other way round. However one assumes the formal T&C overides any FAQ type page, and refund V non-refund is not mentioned (or APR V BFR etc) on the T&C

Last edited by tangey; Oct 3, 2011 at 10:23 am
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
In your particular situation you will be OK but, in general, they are claiming they can beat a fully flexible rate with a non-refundable rate -- even though the website guarantee implies otherwise.

What I have done to qualify is to find refundable rates on other websites that are lower than their non-refundable rates. I then book the ICH refundable rate and they "authorize" me to to get the guarantee so long as I switch my rez to their non-refundable rate.

This is making me nervous -- I mean, who really trusts these guys? -- but I have done it to qualify. I have it documented by email so I should be OK, but I have this bad feeling I will be fighting later for my free rooms. And what do I do when somebody bills me for the room?

It's just a sucky way of doing business, and can't possibly be making any of their customers happ
y.
Precisely. This "guarantee" is so flaky - it makes customers to jump through multiple hoops and still not offers any assurance that the customer is indeed "guaranteed" a free night.

It is totally bizarre to force customer to book non-refundable rate in order to qualify the BRG. Travel plans do change, often out of unforseeable situation. IHG should offer apple for apple, and if customer has to cancel / change booking, customer lose the free stay. That is simple, fare and straight forward. And if customer cancels, IHG does not have to fulfill its promise. A Win-Win situation and why the marketing "genius" at IHG don't see that?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Does anyone have news whether BRG first night is a qualifying night?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tycosiao
Does anyone have news whether BRG first night is a qualifying night?
Unless you are staying at an IC, whether it is or not does not make any difference since PCR status is earned by points, not by stays. BRG night is free therefore no points on stay, qualified or not qualified. Incidentals should still earn you points though.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Precisely. This "guarantee" is so flaky - it makes customers to jump through multiple hoops and still not offers any assurance that the customer is indeed "guaranteed" a free night.

It is totally bizarre to force customer to book non-refundable rate in order to qualify the BRG. Travel plans do change, often out of unforseeable situation. IHG should offer apple for apple, and if customer has to cancel / change booking, customer lose the free stay. That is simple, fare and straight forward. And if customer cancels, IHG does not have to fulfill its promise. A Win-Win situation and why the marketing "genius" at IHG don't see that?
Yeah, I really can't believe IHG came up with this bird-brained scheme. Actually, they probably didn't -- if you look at the terms and conditions it's relatively simple -- it's just that they're applying it in a crazy way to keep the number of free rooms down to something managable.

I do wonder what would happen if they made me switch to a non-refundable rez and then I couldn't travel. I would hope reason would prevail and we'd just mutually agree to cancel the free night, but who knows? And what if you're being nice to them and had booked multiple nights (although I don't think many flyertalkers would be doing that -- you might as well keep the lower refundable rate from the competitor for the additional nights).
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
Yeah, I really can't believe IHG came up with this bird-brained scheme. Actually, they probably didn't -- if you look at the terms and conditions it's relatively simple -- it's just that they're applying it in a crazy way to keep the number of free rooms down to something managable.

I do wonder what would happen if they made me switch to a non-refundable rez and then I couldn't travel. I would hope reason would prevail and we'd just mutually agree to cancel the free night, but who knows? And what if you're being nice to them and had booked multiple nights (although I don't think many flyertalkers would be doing that -- you might as well keep the lower refundable rate from the competitor for the additional nights).
Are you kidding yourself? If they have any common sense, they would know that it is impossible to control the number of free night if they truly honor what the program's Ts and Cs say - or from the surface what a reasonable person would understand it.

The way they twist the interpretation / implementation of the Ts and Cs, proves this is a scam, plain and simple.

By now pretty much most of us posting here know IHG customer service dept is useless. Good luck if you need their help to get you out of a no show on a non-refundable, even it is a free night to begin with.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:21 pm

Using Ambassador free weekend night

So, has anyone tried using this in conjuction with the Bogo certificate, obviously for a 3 night stay? And, since you have to book the nights on the special IC Bogo site, which is typically more expensive than the normal site, can you use this price to compare with the 3rd party site?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.