Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Just had day 2 of the previous mentioned 4 day trip to an European capital. Matched with AP rate. I noted that some IHG AP rates have a 10% refund, and a very few posts upthread have mentioned this as possibly blocking BRG against full AP rates.

However no mention of this, and neither have I seen any first hand reports of this as denial reason. I booked BRF rate and switched while on phone. Not offered this time, and when I asked if all would be good if I switched, she didnt positively say straight yes, but said she then needed to verify once more. It worked.

Another issue that is barely touched upthread is the IHG reservation that comes with 1000 points. To avoid this being a reason for denial I booked as no member, so this would be non-applicable. Booked for travel partner at different hotel than the other nights to avoid consecutive BRG nights.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:38 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tangey
Why, what part of the T&C does booking the revenue night violate ? (once you have your 2 BRGs in place). Or indeed what part of the T&C does either of the BRGs violate if you subsequently booking a revenue night ? The original poster already has 2 BRG's in place. I can't see where the issue is in now booking the middle night as revenue.
My interpretation, based on this wording:
Lower Price. If you find a lower room price that also has a lower total room cost (including taxes and fees) for a one-night stay, or a lower average nightly room price that also has a lower average total room cost (including taxes and fees) for a multi-night stay, on a non-IHG website within 24 hours after booking on an IHG websites for the same stay, we will provide you with the first night’s room price at the IHG hotel free and match the lower average nightly room price found for your entire stay for the rest of the nights of your stay after verification of the lower average nightly room price and lower average total room cost (including taxes and fees).
I suspect, combining this with the 50-mile restriction, that the IHG logic would be that any number of consecutive nights in hotels within 50 miles of each other would be a single stay. The BRG would be re-evaluated using the multi-night rules. So if the overall average nightly rate were lower, only the first night would remain free. The third night would be price matched.

Give it a try and let us know.

Originally Posted by travelkid
Another issue that is barely touched upthread is the IHG reservation that comes with 1000 points. To avoid this being a reason for denial I booked as no member, so this would be non-applicable.
Very nice.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Very nice.
Obviously adding status# later to score benefits.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:19 pm

rrrrr

Last edited by 513263337; Nov 19, 2012 at 3:56 pm
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Clearly a mixed bag then. There is absolutely no passport requirement within Schengen (however you may run into ID requirement).

Seems most EU posters here have the same and consequent experience I have. Rarely questions of passports. But countries may differ. You will typically be requested ID for your CC. Main point being that you dont have to check-in together and be present at front desk.
No idea why we are always asked to produce the passports. it is not like they want to check ID against the CC because we have never asked to actually produce our CC at check in since it is already in file. At check in, it almost invariably starts by the FD clerk, "May I have your passports?" Then they proceed to enter information either in the system or on a form. After they finish, they hand the passports back.

Though at check out, I have found hotels have different practice - some can just bill against the CC on file, like in US in general, some still want your CC and immediately run it thru the payment console to produce the receipt for you to sign - Almost all IHG properties we have used want to run the CC at check out versus all Starwood's and Marriott's just bill against the info already in the reservation.

And you are right, in your case on the BRG nights when the reservation is made under your traveling companion who is not in your household anyway, dont present at check in yourself to avoid any possible hiccup down the road.

For us, traveling as a couple I dont see the point to arrive hotel separately and try to sneak in. They want passports? they can have it. Except now we would be more diligent to check the guest name on the invoice to avoid non-posting issue.

Originally Posted by tangey
Clearly they must get the prompt from the reservation system that checking-in guests are not domestic, I'm from the UK/Ireland and have never ever been asked for ID @ check-in in any hotel in UK/Ireland other than the usual cc for payment guarantee.

One wonders why "foreigners" are asked for passports at UK hotels, is it merely another form of payment security ?
Good point about nationality. That might be the prompt.

I dont think it has anything to do with CC guaranteed reservation. It may have more to do with some government regulations in the name of "security".

Last edited by Happy; Nov 19, 2012 at 10:49 pm
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Obviously adding status# later to score benefits.
That's what I did at the beginning - before I signed and status matched with PC (4 BRGs in Singapore) and it worked like a charm (I think it's because it's Singapore) but then your upgrade will really be depending on availability. I then add it in when I file the BRG form so that the number is in the system - 2 advantages: 1. you have a better chance of an upgrade, 2. you have a better chance to get your points if BRG is in form of reimbursement.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:34 am

A question here, have done several successes on getting brg approved already and knowing that no pc points will be earned if the rate is adjusted to 0 and no extra spending at the hotel. However, is it possible to earn airline miles as a brg free night still counts as a stay especially this quarter IC has a triple mile promo?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:39 am
Used to be highman123

I had a BRG in August (hotel did not charge me). Now 2 days ago the stay posted to my IC account as a qualifying stay with several bonuses

My CC was not charged, double checked that. How nice of PC - early Xmas?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by highman123
I had a BRG in August (hotel did not charge me). Now 2 days ago the stay posted to my IC account as a qualifying stay with several bonuses

My BRG IC stays are all non-qualifying stays. So far I got 2 nights qualifying for all my BRGs with rates adjusted to 0.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 3:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nacho
That's what I did at the beginning - before I signed and status matched with PC (4 BRGs in Singapore) and it worked like a charm (I think it's because it's Singapore) but then your upgrade will really be depending on availability. I then add it in when I file the BRG form so that the number is in the system - 2 advantages: 1. you have a better chance of an upgrade, 2. you have a better chance to get your points if BRG is in form of reimbursement.
It also depends on how far in advance the booking is. You will likely know soon if there is a "technical glitch" allowing you to get points, but upgrade is something to consider, however I always find I get best upgrades alloacated late, even at check-in as its based at the inventory at that time.

Another thing, at least if you have a common name, is that you can do hotel hopping if you dont use your PC#

Originally Posted by highman123

PC IT is notorious for having hick-ups, so this doesnt surprise me.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It also depends on how far in advance the booking is. You will likely know soon if there is a "technical glitch" allowing you to get points, but upgrade is something to consider, however I always find I get best upgrades alloacated late, even at check-in as its based at the inventory at that time.

Another thing, at least if you have a common name, is that you can do hotel hopping if you dont use your PC#

PC IT is notorious for having hick-ups, so this doesnt surprise me.
For all the hotels I stayed at, it seems to me that whether you get an upgrade depending on individual hotel's policy and how many nights you are staying.

For some you definitely get an upgrade if you are Plat (to a specific category) - and if you don't let them know your status before arrival, you may get it or not really depending on the occupancy.

e.g. CP CPH, you definitely get an upgrade to a corner room if they have one. If you get there late they might run out, and once it was out when we check-in so we had a standard room. I don't expect that you can get an upgrade by being there late if all the corner rooms are gone.

For some no matter what you don't get it - then it doesn't matter.

If you arrive late, you may have a chance of getting an upgrade or you get no upgrade at all. I think it depends on how you are not happy with the room you get.

Last time I did it was because I wanted to get the BRG check-in smoother (TBH I don't expect any upgrade etc.), as status is appreciated in Asia.

You can't do hotel hopping so easily in Asia if they check your government document at check-in (unless you have fake IDs which is illegal). Also remember that some hotels are owned by the same company with the very same GM and they can find out if you are the same guy checking into their sister hotel the night before.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 4:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nacho
You can't do hotel hopping so easily in Asia if they check your government document at check-in (unless you have fake IDs which is illegal). Also remember that some hotels are owned by the same company with the very same GM and they can find out if you are the same guy checking into their sister hotel the night before.
Two legal passports, or passport + government ID card etc.

ETA: I have had my best upgrades with late arrival for one night stays, as they know they cant sell that suite then.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 4:37 am

Two days ago i claimed a european hotel and gave them two websites to compare with.
first they wrote back, that they need the name of the second person. later they wrote they can't compare with one of the sites because they will not look at the "extra person charge" which the ihg site charged. this is crazy, because in this hotel they just charge it if you book a room for two with breakfast. if you book it without breakfast they didn't charge it, so its not a extra person fee, it should be called breakfast fee. they told me the hotel will also charge this if i book at the compare site. i know this is not true, but ok.
then i asked them about the second site i give to them. they didn't response for a day. i asked again and they told me i'm over the 24 hours limit. i told them i gave them both websites with my first claim and i also got a confirmation about that in their first email i got from them. then they just wrote, that they couldnt confirm the rate of the site. i asked them for a screenshot to proof, that they really checked the second site. I have a screenshot that the rate was available at the time they wrote me the first denied email. now they aren't writing back again.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 5:57 am

Clearly a mixed bag then. There is absolutely no passport requirement within Schengen (however you may run into ID requirement).

Seems most EU posters here have the same and consequent experience I have. Rarely questions of passports. But countries may differ. You will typically be requested ID for your CC. Main point being that you dont have to check-in together and be present at front desk.
The Italian rule is a local law, not related to Schengen travel requirements - there is a good summary of hotel specific legal requirements for different European countries here:

http://www.cmslegal.com/Hubbard.File...de_0917_yp.pdf

but in the Italian section, it says:

Under Italian public security legislation, guests must register
upon arrival at the hotel and their personal details (including
passports or other IDs) must be communicated to the local
police authorities within 24 hours.
The UK has a legal requirement for hotels to record passport details including number and place of issue for all "aliens" (non-UK and Commonwealth citizens) under the Immigration (Hotel Records) Order 1972.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1.../contents/made
Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 31570324
Two days ago i claimed a european hotel and gave them two websites to compare with.
first they wrote back, that they need the name of the second person. later they wrote they can't compare with one of the sites because they will not look at the "extra person charge" which the ihg site charged. this is crazy, because in this hotel they just charge it if you book a room for two with breakfast. if you book it without breakfast they didn't charge it, so its not a extra person fee, it should be called breakfast fee. they told me the hotel will also charge this if i book at the compare site. i know this is not true, but ok.
then i asked them about the second site i give to them. they didn't response for a day. i asked again and they told me i'm over the 24 hours limit. i told them i gave them both websites with my first claim and i also got a confirmation about that in their first email i got from them. then they just wrote, that they couldnt confirm the rate of the site. i asked them for a screenshot to proof, that they really checked the second site. I have a screenshot that the rate was available at the time they wrote me the first denied email. now they aren't writing back again.
Happened to me, they tried to delay it to past the 24 hrs limit (I think). So after that lesson, if I haven't heard from them after 20 hours or so I would call them. So far it hasn't happened yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.