Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2011, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Originally Posted by robertwcook16
I filed a claim for the ICH Boston 2 weeks ago for this evening. Finally, after 4 different calls to PC, I received email from Priority Club BRG, yesterday, that they would not honor the guarantee & I would be reimbursed directly from PC 4-6 weeks after stay. Why do they even have a BRG if their properties will not honor it !!!!! This just does not seem right. The consumer has no recourse...
I have an adjusted rate at the IC Boston.

It would seem that if the hotels are slow to respond/not answering emails IHG will tell you that they cannot adjust the rate and will reimburse you.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Originally Posted by IHG Care
If you find a lower price on a third party website, but are not eligible for a Free Night due to the 30 day restriction IHG does not match the price. However, as the lower rate is available via the third party you can book through them to obtain the lower rate.

Ben J
IHG Care
As a person from industry, this is mind blowing for me!!

As the poster stated, the IHG rate is $120 and the 3rd party is $60. Now, keep in mind that the 3rd party is not a charity organization, they take a cut (no less than $5-15 in this case). Why the heck would you instruct someone to book elsewhere?

If IHG is not willing to even match the lower rate, its automatically the WORST and WEAKEST BRG in the industry!
Old Nov 25, 2011, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Maybe someone should forward the post to an IHG executive. Maybe IHG has given up on the BRG?
Old Nov 25, 2011, 3:15 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
If you find a lower price on a third party website, but are not eligible for a Free Night due to the 30 day restriction IHG does not match the price. However, as the lower rate is available via the third party you can book through them to obtain the lower rate.

Ben J
IHG Care
This must be a first
A hotel chain advising customers to book through third party sites because they can't compete with the lower rates that can found outside of the IHG booking systems.

What next from IHG..
Old Nov 25, 2011, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Originally Posted by xcalx
This must be a first
A hotel chain advising customers to book through third party sites because they can't compete with the lower rates that can found outside of the IHG booking systems.

What next from IHG..

Ben J
IHG Care
Why don't we turn this around on IHG and do the following:

If you find a lower price on a third party website, but are not eligible for a Free Night due to the 30 day restriction-THEN TELL ALL FTer's of the details (PM's for those who ask) and we will ALL claim a free night (if we are eligble of course)

Could be an FT party!

Should put a dent in someones budget and maybe wake up IHG to their ridiculous T&C's and pathetic claims about their BRG.

So IHGand BRG
PM me the details of where this free night is (Third party web-site details etc)

Thanks
Old Nov 25, 2011, 7:13 am

Today I get a new version of IHG confirmation mail as an answer for sending the online BPG form:

"Thank you for contacting our office regarding our Best Price Guarantee in reference to rates at the Holiday Inn Hotel (...). We appreciate the opportunity to assist you with this matter.

We have contacted the hotel and requested a verification of the lower rate you found. We appreciate your patience and will contact you via e-mail when this has been confirmed."

Normally the BPG team has to verify the lower rate I have found. I do not now why now the hotel has to verificate my lower rate - I think this can end in the fact, that the lower rate will not be longer available. -> What's next? Should we contact directly the hotel for BPG in future?

What do you think? Is there any reason to worry? Or only inartfully expressed by the IHG BPG employee? I hope, that the BPG team will verify the lower rate also in the future!

Last edited by SunshineMouse; Nov 26, 2011 at 5:27 am
Old Nov 25, 2011, 2:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
Originally Posted by BEAV
IHG is now on the hook to reimburse me $1200 for my stay at Montelucia Scottsdale two nights ago. We'll see how long it takes...(I was told 4-6 weeks)
I'm pleased to report my reimbursement check hit my mailbox exactly 7 days from the date I checked out of Montelucia Scottsdale.

The thing that keeps coming to my mind with regard to the rate adjustment (or in my case reimbursement) process is how labor intensive it is compared to the other chains. There is a lot of back and forth communication necessary between client, BPG folks and the hotels to make sure everything is "set". So while IHG has a long way to go with this program, I would be remiss not thanking them for their swift reimbursement.

Last edited by BEAV; Nov 25, 2011 at 2:14 pm
Old Nov 25, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, IHG,++, all highest level
Originally Posted by blindman
Why don't we turn this around on IHG and do the following:

If you find a lower price on a third party website, but are not eligible for a Free Night due to the 30 day restriction-THEN TELL ALL FTer's of the details (PM's for those who ask) and we will ALL claim a free night (if we are eligble of course)

Could be an FT party!

Should put a dent in someones budget and maybe wake up IHG to their ridiculous T&C's and pathetic claims about their BRG.

So IHGand BRG
PM me the details of where this free night is (Third party web-site details etc)

Thanks
Really?

The Hotel is over 3 month nearly every 2day on two third-partysites cheaper.
The Claim is very easy, because the IHG Price is "Prepaid STANDARD Room" -> no more description

Hotel-name is not necessary, because i check today 6 more city's and swoodoo found in every city a lower price then IHG.

But remember: What is the best Guarantee if you can't use?
It' s a marketing trick to get more money from us.
Sorry not with the money from my business.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:53 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Along with the "same currency" clause this makes the guarantee one of the weakest in the industry, if not deceptive and mean in spirit:

- Make a prepaid booking while being assured by the web interface that they guarantee you that you booked the lowest rate.
- Find another rate that is much lower, but either in another currency (I have a property in China right now where I can get the room for less than half the price but the currency is different) or you had other valid claims within 30 days.
- In either case you are stuck with your more expensive rate already booked because it is not refundable
- Add to that the poor excuse I have received that the lower rate I have found is also available on ANOTHER IHG website and therefore my claim would be invalid (never mind that the OTHER IHG website is in Japanese)

I believe it is fair to say that this "guarantee" stinks and must be one of the weakest in the industry.

HTB.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SunshineMouse
Today I get a new version of IHG confirmation mail as an answer for sending the online BPG form:

"Thank you for contacting our office regarding our Best Price Guarantee in reference to rates at the Holiday Inn Hotel (...). We appreciate the opportunity to assist you with this matter.

We have contacted the hotel and requested a verification of the lower rate you found. We appreciate your patience and will contact you via e-mail when this has been confirmed."

Normally the BPG team has to verify the lower rate I have found. I do not now why now the hotel has to verificate my lower rate - I think this can end in the fact, that the lower rate will not be longer available. -> What's next? Should we contact directly the hotel for BPG in future?

What do you think? Is there any reason to worry? Or only inartfully expressed by the IHG BPG employee? I hope, that the BPG team will verify the lower rate also in the future!
I got the same e-mail message too in October. I filed 6 claims altogether and the e-mails I got were very different from one to another.

If you are in doubt, send BPG an e-mail - as long as your claim is validated by BPG then your night is free.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 1:51 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, IHG,++, all highest level
Originally Posted by IHGandBRG
Really?

The Hotel is over 3 month nearly every 2day on two third-partysites cheaper.
The Claim is very easy, because the IHG Price is "Prepaid STANDARD Room" -> no more description

Hotel-name is not necessary, because i check today 6 more city's and swoodoo found in every city a lower price then IHG.

But remember: What is the best Guarantee if you can't use?
It' s a marketing trick to get more money from us.
Sorry not with the money from my business.
for everybody: checked the 6 city's with swoodoo.com

Now i like to go for a 5 days business trip, but only 1 one week after a private "Free Night (Guarantee claim).
IHG is nearly 50% higher than the thirdpartysite, for eyery day or the week!
Now, i can book the thirdpartysite or i paid plus 50% on IHG, because the guarantee is only every 30 days....
Old Nov 27, 2011, 3:49 pm

Does anybody know how this Advanced Purchase rate is supposed to functionw with a successful claim?

I've had two single-night claims successful with different hotels under Advanced Purchase rate. The first hotel hasn't charged my credit card from the booking moment to this day. The second hotel however has charged my credit card shortly after my booking.

I assume for the first hotel I don't have to pay anything at checkout. But for the second hotel, will it refund to my credit card if so before I checkin or only when I checkout? (Note this isn't a case where the BPG agent is having trouble with the hotel acknowledging that the night will be free).
Old Nov 27, 2011, 7:11 pm

Has anyone got a claim revoked after confirmation on phone? My friend has just experienced it but was lucky to enjoy the free room by changing the reservation.

Having secured a free room, my friend received an email concerning the revoke due to an overlook of the terms and conditions on the third party website. The agent could not see this point during the call but discovered it three hours later. An educated guess for the reason is that the website was in Vietnamese and the webpage was not well written. Reading a robot translation of the website is not easy due to dislocation of webpage elements. Anyway, my friend is still happy because the room is still free after an adjustment to the advanced purchase rate.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Does anybody know how this Advanced Purchase rate is supposed to functionw with a successful claim?

I've had two single-night claims successful with different hotels under Advanced Purchase rate. The first hotel hasn't charged my credit card from the booking moment to this day. The second hotel however has charged my credit card shortly after my booking.

I assume for the first hotel I don't have to pay anything at checkout. But for the second hotel, will it refund to my credit card if so before I checkin or only when I checkout? (Note this isn't a case where the BPG agent is having trouble with the hotel acknowledging that the night will be free).
I got charged by 2 hotels in SG as soon as I changed the booking to Advance purchase. Then after 1 month I got my refund. Unfortunately SGD has gone down in value so I lost 12 USD plus the interest for the credit cards.

It's ok if that's the only thing I pay for the stays but I think in principle it's wrong to charge $ rightaway when the reservation was a valid comp. night.

The same happened to me and Mr. Nacho in a Marriott property and I filed a complaint to the corporate and I got the $ back plus 10k MR points for both of us.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 2:04 pm

Programs: The Golden status boy
Originally Posted by nacho
I got charged by 2 hotels in SG as soon as I changed the booking to Advance purchase. Then after 1 month I got my refund. Unfortunately SGD has gone down in value so I lost 12 USD plus the interest for the credit cards.

It's ok if that's the only thing I pay for the stays but I think in principle it's wrong to charge $ rightaway when the reservation was a valid comp. night.

The same happened to me and Mr. Nacho in a Marriott property and I filed a complaint to the corporate and I got the $ back plus 10k MR points for both of us.
This is my biggest fear with the reimbursement program. The currency exchange + interest on a $4,000.00 penthouse suite may be more than simply booking a standard room through normal channels. No one has any way to calculate an exact amount of what these charges will be when the bill arrives. So I'll get back my $4,000.00 and have to go through the hassle of trying to get reimbursed the other fees associated with my booking. That's a lot of burden for the customer when the rate should have been adjusted to free in the beginning.

As an aside, Ben has gone above and beyond to assist me with my claim. While I'm stuck in the same situation, I'm glad to know that my voice is being heard and someone is putting forth the extra effort to find an agreeable resolution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.