Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2021, 11:30 pm

Programs: EY
Another successful EK trip from Chicago to Trivandrum to report. Two senior 70+ US citizen OCIs, zero issues with any air bubble complications. Covid Test on arrival, told to go home and wait for the results by text. Nothing else out of the ordinary. Once again, there's no requirement to stick only to AI, you can indeed fly EK (and others have verified QR too) for sure to India.

Last edited by xobile; Mar 21, 2021 at 8:25 pm
Old Mar 21, 2021, 2:55 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Originally Posted by xobile
Another successful EK trip from Chicago to Trivandrum to report. Two US citizen OCIs, zero issues with any air bubble complications. Covid Test on arrival, told to go home and wait for the results by text. Nothing else out of the ordinary. Once again, there's no requirement to stick only to AI, you can indeed fly EK (and others have verified QR too) for sure to India.
enough bags have reached for them to keep looking other way I guess .. 😀

will attempt QR next month BLR-ORD-BLR
swordmaster100 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 7:04 am

Successful return trip from
BLR to MIA via Doha. No issues to report.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
has anyone transited via cdg recently????

have a jfk-cdg-del trip in a couple of weeks....looking for recent experiences....
Old Mar 22, 2021, 10:53 am

Programs: EY
NEWS: Etihad now accepting transit passengers to/from India from all destinations

Seems that Etihad, as of March 1, got approval to carry transit passengers to/from India to all points, including North America and Europe. Previously this officially was completely restricted, then opened up to South America and Africa only according to the Air Bubble language, which has not been updated online since Feb 25. Etihad has a destination page which previously mentioned that they could only take transit passengers from Cairo, but now that wording as been removed completely. Unfortunately there is no page that explicitly mentions the removal of air bubble restrictions that I could find, however Etihad's Twitter help has been tweeting up people about this. A sample can be seen at the following link:

Etihad Help (@EtihadHelp) Tweeted:
@Shubham53860399 We have received an approval to carry transit guests to/from India effective 1 Mar, so no worries.
Also, don't forget to take a look at https://t.co/hWA7ZGfiaF to know what the travel requirements are for your trip. See you soon! *Ari http://Etihad Help (@EtihadHelp) Tweeted: @Shubham53860399 We have received an approval to carry transit guests to/from India effective 1 Mar, so no worries. Also, don't forget to take a look at [ame to know what the travel requirements are for your trip. See you soon! *Ari https://twitter.com/EtihadHelp/status/1372057030849146883?s=20]https://twitter.com/EtihadHelp/status/1372057030849146883?s=20[/ame]

So feel free to take any of the ME3 to/from India.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 11:19 am

Options to return to UK

Any UK residents have recent experience of returning to the UK from India - BOM or AMD to MAN?

UAE and Qatar both on redlist so transit through any ME3 countries would mean hotel quarantine.

Only option I can really find is AF transiting at CDG but not sure if there are any restrictions on this route?

Otherwise I guess there's the option of VS direct from BOM to LHR - again not sure if there's any restrictions with this.

Don't really want to be travelling AI or VTI and not keen on 2+ stops.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 10:51 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
That's great news. Hope there is an update from the other ME carriers to make it official!
Old Mar 23, 2021, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by neverenoughmiles
Any UK residents have recent experience of returning to the UK from India - BOM or AMD to MAN?

UAE and Qatar both on redlist so transit through any ME3 countries would mean hotel quarantine.

Only option I can really find is AF transiting at CDG but not sure if there are any restrictions on this route?

Otherwise I guess there's the option of VS direct from BOM to LHR - again not sure if there's any restrictions with this.

Don't really want to be travelling AI or VTI and not keen on 2+ stops.
Stick to the direct VS flight. Was reading in the news today that France will most likely be added to the Hotel quarantine soon.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 6:37 am

Programs: UA Plat, Mil Miler, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, National Exec. Elite, Hertz Prez Circle
Absolulely fantastic reporting by xobile! Thank you so much! I can now peacefully send my mom to BLR this week on QR. Good riddance to DEL and UA/AI. Thank you!
Old Mar 23, 2021, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by surram
Absolulely fantastic reporting by xobile! Thank you so much! I can now peacefully send my mom to BLR this week on QR. Good riddance to DEL and UA/AI. Thank you!

Qr confirmed the same as EY FYI. They will not prevent any passengers from transit via Doha. Having just taken the flight I spoke to thé assistant ground handling manager at the airport and he confirmed they have been given permission to carry transit passengers beyond Doha.
surram likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 11:59 am

International Transit at Delhi

Anyone has done an international transit at Delhi recently , I am flying Maldives - DEL - Chicago . I hope there wont be any issue . Also a bit confused on the Covid test requirement in this case . Will it be 72 hours from the Maldives flight or 72 hours from Delhi ?
Old Mar 23, 2021, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Grmaht
Qr confirmed the same as EY FYI. They will not prevent any passengers from transit via Doha. Having just taken the flight I spoke to thé assistant ground handling manager at the airport and he confirmed they have been given permission to carry transit passengers beyond Doha.
they have been able to.. question is can they carry pax to eu/USA?
Old Mar 23, 2021, 2:57 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by dip2007
Anyone has done an international transit at Delhi recently , I am flying Maldives - DEL - Chicago . I hope there wont be any issue . Also a bit confused on the Covid test requirement in this case . Will it be 72 hours from the Maldives flight or 72 hours from Delhi ?
International transit is not allowed in India right now, you will be denied boarding in MLE. If United or some other airline is selling you this award it doesn't mean it will be possible to travel.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
International transit is not allowed in India right now, you will be denied boarding in MLE. If United or some other airline is selling you this award it doesn't mean it will be possible to travel.
Is there any reference for me to read through ? I am an Indian Citizen and US resident if that makes any difference.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by dip2007
Is there any reference for me to read through ? I am an Indian Citizen and US resident if that makes any difference.
you can just exit and re-enter (not thru check bags)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.