Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2021, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by galaticos
you can just exit and re-enter (not thru check bags)
Yes i am okay with this hassle if i can keep my flight .
Old Mar 23, 2021, 10:34 pm

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by surram
Absolulely fantastic reporting by xobile! Thank you so much! I can now peacefully send my mom to BLR this week on QR. Good riddance to DEL and UA/AI. Thank you!
Happy to help. It pains me when people on this board and elsewhere say don't risk it especially with seniors, just take AI... When I've sent multiple passengers to and from India, seniors in wheelchairs via Dubai in the past few months. And in response to galaticos, QR verbally confirmed over the phone that they have no issues taking passengers via Doha to or from the US to India, and knows many passengers who did.

The air bubble thing doesn't actually seem to have been a barrier at all to Qatar or Emirates these past few months, just EY for whatever reason. Also the EK flight last week from Chicago was empty enough for the two seniors to each get their own 4 seat row. You certainly won't find that on AI with their 300 pax loads (which is why EK was empty, regular folk won't know better unfortunately....these are probably the same people who don't do online check in which is why that designated line is always empty....)
galaticos likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 12:03 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The DGCA just extended the bubble bs for another month:

This indicates that the current surge played into the hands of Puri not to restore normalcy with the summer schedule starting next week. I'm curious if they will allow for the frequencies to Europe and the ME3 to go up again. If you recall the number of 'allowed' flights for the ME3 and EU3 was heavily curtailed at the beginning of the W20-21 schedule.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 5:14 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The DGCA just extended the bubble bs for another month:

https://twitter.com/DGCAIndia/status...45926282670089

This indicates that the current surge played into the hands of Puri not to restore normalcy with the summer schedule starting next week. I'm curious if they will allow for the frequencies to Europe and the ME3 to go up again. If you recall the number of 'allowed' flights for the ME3 and EU3 was heavily curtailed at the beginning of the W20-21 schedule.
they have also loaded VBM schedule till 28 OCT 2021 😢
Old Mar 24, 2021, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by xobile
Happy to help. It pains me when people on this board and elsewhere say don't risk it especially with seniors, just take AI... When I've sent multiple passengers to and from India, seniors in wheelchairs via Dubai in the past few months. And in response to galaticos, QR verbally confirmed over the phone that they have no issues taking passengers via Doha to or from the US to India, and knows many passengers who did.

The air bubble thing doesn't actually seem to have been a barrier at all to Qatar or Emirates these past few months, just EY for whatever reason. Also the EK flight last week from Chicago was empty enough for the two seniors to each get their own 4 seat row. You certainly won't find that on AI with their 300 pax loads (which is why EK was empty, regular folk won't know better unfortunately....these are probably the same people who don't do online check in which is why that designated line is always empty....)
thanks for the feedback! Will attempt QR next month as non-work trip and therefore not schedule bound!
Old Mar 25, 2021, 3:22 am

QR Update - 24 March - my mother tried to book IAH-DOH-BOM for 31st May 2021... QR refused to issue ticket saying ban on US pax by Indian govt..
Old Mar 25, 2021, 9:24 am

By refused, do you mean you could not complete the checkout process on QR website?
I just got EK tickets issued via an agent who uses Galileo. Roundtrip India - USA - India, May to Aug.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by swordmaster100
By refused, do you mean you could not complete the checkout process on QR website?
I just got EK tickets issued via an agent who uses Galileo. Roundtrip India - USA - India, May to Aug.
website couldn’t price.. called QR desk and they couldn’t book (prohibited was the word agent used)

maybe it’s something to do with not able to book ex US

i too was able to book India-US-India for April on QR last week.. but that was before DGCA announcement - not sure if they will cancel my ticket now
Old Mar 25, 2021, 4:20 pm

I just made a one way booking from COK to YYZ on Air Canada website , for early May, 2 Canadian citizens(1 infant) and 1 PR. Its a single ticket issued by AC.

COK-DOH on Qatar airways QR517 , 2.5 hour transit.
DOH -YYZ on Air Canada AC59

I just read https://www.civilaviation.gov.in/en/...nsport-bubblesA. From India to Qatar:

i. Qatari nationals;

ii. Any Indian national or national of Nepal or Bhutan destined for Qatar or any country in South America or Africa only and holding a valid visa of the destination country. It would be for the airlines concerned to ensure that there is no travel restriction for Indian/Nepalese/Bhutanese nationals to enter the destination country before issue of ticket/boarding pass to the Indian/Nepalese/Bhutanese passenger; and

iii. Foreign nationals destined for South America or Africa only and transiting through Qatar.

Does this mean I will be denied boarding at COK, as we cannot use Qatar as a transit point ?

Last edited by Toronto1; Mar 25, 2021 at 7:58 pm
Old Mar 25, 2021, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Toronto1
I just made a one way booking from COK to YYZ on Air Canada
Does this mean I will be denied boarding at COK, as we cannot use Qatar as a transit point ?
if they strictly adhere to the rules, you will not be allowed to fly
Old Mar 25, 2021, 8:21 pm

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by galaticos
QR Update - 24 March - my mother tried to book IAH-DOH-BOM for 31st May 2021... QR refused to issue ticket saying ban on US pax by Indian govt..
Strange.. I just tried that booking and could get to the end of it for $1400 one way on the day. Perhaps try on June 1 which is the day after the next air bubble cycle. I'm not sure what QR is talking about, there is no ban on US pax. Just restrictions on who can come like OCIs and Indian citizens. Have you tried Emirates?
Old Mar 25, 2021, 8:54 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by Toronto1
I just made a one way booking from COK to YYZ on Air Canada website , for early May, 2 Canadian citizens(1 infant) and 1 PR. Its a single ticket issued by AC.

COK-DOH on Qatar airways QR517 , 2.5 hour transit.
DOH -YYZ on Air Canada AC59

AC sold you a single ticket, so I will not worry too much about being denied boarding at COK as you can always get a refund or get re-routed accordingly. Plenty of things can change between now and May 2nd, so I will stay positive. At least you are not having to spend time in Delhi trying to connect.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 12:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The airlines will sell you tickets, but it is your responsibility to figure out if the current health and visa restrictions apply to you...
surram likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
AC sold you a single ticket, so I will not worry too much about being denied boarding at COK as you can always get a refund or get re-routed accordingly. Plenty of things can change between now and May 2nd, so I will stay positive. At least you are not having to spend time in Delhi trying to connect.
OP is already taking a AC flight from DOH, so might as well take an AC flight from DEL. Instead of COK - DOH they will travel COK-DEL and frankly transit in Delhi is not so bad if the connection is not very long.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 12:26 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
...frankly transit in Delhi is not so bad if the connection is not very long.
Let me recollect how it went in Delhi the last time-

1. The international transfer section was backed up with only 2 immigration agents staffing it and plenty of wheelchairs and "VIPs" cutting in line. It was suggested to go to the "other" immigration line.
2, For the "other" immigration line you have to walk out of the terminal and go up to the departure area and enter again.
3. There were huge lines outside the departure terminal to enter through.
4. You have to show your ticket/BP and ID up on the glass window for someone to OK it.
5. Then after you enter the terminal you have to now stand in another big line to get past immigration. This is like placing bets that the officer servicing your area does not get up and walk away or someone else shows up to add to the staffing.
6. Then security #1
7. Then closer to the gate security #2.

With the above, I would gladly take a chance with trying to fly out of my home airport on ME carriers which would be the following:

1. Ticket and ID check at terminal door
2. Check in for the flight
3. Immigration
4. Security

There are hardly any international flights these days, so the entire process is quite fast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.