Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2021, 12:40 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by xobile
My relatives, whose flights were all booked and handled by me, have completed three rounds trips to India on EY/QR without any issues (EY is a different story). So there's no real risk per se and especially not in the middle of the flight. If there are issues, they will be in the beginning or before the flight. Etihad canceled my flights back in November for the same, but EK and QR have no issues, and neither does customs or immigration who are well aware that people are transiting through the Gulf.
With the mandatory testing on arrival for ME3 & EU flights... including the minimum 6 hours layover for connections - that will be the deterrent more than anything else from here on.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 1:28 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by surram
I want to make sure as my aged mom has to travel travel next month. Please help!
Considering so much uncertainty specially because it seems the air bubble rule while applicable is not always enforced and with so many changing rules on arrivals from xx countries require this and that etc etc, I booked a direct India (CCU) to US (PDX) ticket on UA. This requires transit in DEL but seems to be the most safe. As superboi said, if its us traveling, we can take some risks and uncertainty but we don't prefer that for our parents who will anyway be traveling for 20+ hrs (which is itself an ordeal).

FYI, if booking in UA, then try taking the domestic connection on AI on same ticket and then you get additional baggage allowance (if that is needed). UA seems to have pretty decent award ticket requirements on this India - US sector.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 2:53 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by galaticos
Nice to know.. is it ex US or ex India... QR in India has refused to sell me tickets
Both ways. And for the record, this included my elderly parents for everyone worried about sending them along. Not sure what the QR issue is but they should be selling them to you. Is it directly on the website or through an agent? Try booking for April, and calling Qatar and changing the date to the real one in March that you want. My senior aunt came like that today, I booked her flight for March then called immediately and changed it to February.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:51 am

Has anyone used qr or ek for returning to mumbai/maharashtra from usa if yes is there a quarantine requirement just for transiting through gulf?
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:57 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by kapsshah42
Has anyone used qr or ek for returning to mumbai/maharashtra from usa if yes is there a quarantine requirement just for transiting through gulf?
Scroll up for the new regulations.... additional Covid test on arrival and more paperwork for traveling through the ME. Plus depending on the political headwinds being allowed to travel that route.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 1:00 am

What about institutional quarantine?
Old Feb 28, 2021, 1:25 am

Programs: EY
Another successful Emirates transit flight today. TRV DXB ORD. Booked it Feb 20 for March 7, called immediately to change it to Feb 27. Zero issues to change ($100 fare difference only), took about 4 minutes. No issues /questions about transit at any point today during check in or travel.

So I'll keep harping, so not think that you are restricted to only AI, and consider taking the ME3 if their schedules are easier for you, eg to a tier 2 city outside Delhi /Mumbai /Hyderabad. About 50 people in Economy, total, so plenty of room to spread out. Puri's own numbers for the Air India Delhi Chicago flight had 300 people in Economy a few days ago.
​​​​
Old Feb 28, 2021, 1:56 am

None as long as your tests come out negative.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 2:05 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
None as long as your tests come out negative.
Arriving from ME into BOM means compulsory institutional quarantine as per MH rules: BOM Arrivals from UK, ME, Europe, & S. Africa must go into institutional quarantine

Only waived if you are in domestic transit. The new rules don't change that.
PiperAtGatesofDawn likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Arriving from ME into BOM means compulsory institutional quarantine as per MH rules: BOM Arrivals from UK, ME, Europe, & S. Africa must go into institutional quarantine

Only waived if you are in domestic transit. The new rules don't change that.
Yes that's right... too many rules to be able to keep track of!

Whatever's standard for everyone else traveling to India from ME + 5-7 days of institutional quarantine at own cost in BOM - then Covid test and 7 additional days of home quarantine if test is negative. Quarantine waived if travel continues to outside Maharashtra - then on arrival test + 6 hour wait in BOM.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 10:32 pm

Last query is if travelling from USA to India via middle east.Is there a compulsary requirement of RT PCR report from the origin or can we get it done at the arrival airport in India.If allowed at arrival airport, which are those airports as all states have their own RT PCR requirements.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 11:01 pm

Last query is if travelling from USA to India via middle east.Is there a compulsary requirement of RT PCR report from the origin or can we get it done at the arrival airport in India.If allowed at arrival airport, which are those airports as all states have their own RT PCR requirements.
Test is compulsory before departure; airline will not let you board without it.

Since you are travelling through ME a second test is required after arrival also. At DEL/BOM you can book online and pay in advance for the test. See this thread for more: Coronavirus screening in Indian airports

Last edited by superboi; Feb 28, 2021 at 11:04 pm Reason: added link
Old Mar 1, 2021, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by shukar
Flew ATL-JFK-AMS-BOM three weeks ago and BOM-AMS-ATL yesterday, I am a US citizen with an OCI card. Here are some points of interest,

On check-in at ATL for ATL-JFK leg, they checked my OCI and negative PCR Covid test result.

Upon landing in JFK, I was told that to fly thru AMS I need a rapid antibody Covid test (conveniently available next door to the gate for US $200). DL or KLM did not inform me of any such requirements in advance..

At AMS before boarding for BOM,, there was a local (Netherlands) Indian embassy web page that I had to go to and sign some attestation form - again no prior disclosure of any such things. I was also given some printed forms to fill out that I would need in BOM.

Upon landing at BOM, I was told that there was a mandatory one week institutional (i.e. hotel) quarantine despite negative PCR Covid test. Only way to avoid the quarantine was to leave the airport by another flight. So I booked BOM-HYD-STV flight on the spot - despite my car waiting outside the BOM airport to drive me to Surat (STV). Another Rs. 9000 ($120) unexpected cost and eight hours delay to reach my final destination.

On return journey, at BOM airport,, I had negative PCR Covid test done 72 hours in advance. Now I knew that to board BOM-AMS flight, I would need a rapid test at BOM airport. At BOM airport, before getting to the check-in counter,, there were chaos, with people moving me from one line to the other, asking to fill out multiple paper forms as well as online forms before I could get my rapid test. The cost of the rapid test was Rs.600 ($9) - but only local currency cards and cash were accepted. The whole process took two hours. Once at the check-in counter, things were smooth. They gave me some more papers/declarations to sign.

Upon landing at AMS, they checked my PCR and rapid test - but it was quick.

AMS-ATL leg was uneventful - with just a check of my PCR test before boarding..

Upon landing at ATL, there were no checks of any kind - just straight to immigration and customs.

For travelling onward from Bom airport there are 2 questions Can we handover baggage and fly domestic or we need to carry the same with us.Also can we go out of the airport if there is a long layover at Mumbai between domestic flight and international post sample collection.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 7:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Once you checkin with AI/UK/etc you can't leave the airport. Checkin is possible just after immigration/health/customs.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 8:04 am

Just to elaborate my query, I am landing at BOM with QR from USA.I am a resident of BOM but in order to save on the quarantine I plan to book another flight of a domestic carrier to another airport in the country.So considering the above I had 2 queries
1. Can I go out of the airport post arrival by showing the domestic ticket (as there will be a long layover) and get the ticket cancelled.
2.If option 1 is not feasible, can I give the baggage to someone in the arrivals and then connect to the domestic sector thus saving the excess baggage charges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.