Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2021, 9:34 am

Interesting way of looking at it. It is for my senior citizen parents traveling by themselves. I was planning QR/EK for them because in worst case, they'll be turned away at check-in. This would be a city they're comfortable with and can just take a taxi home. I personally think this is preferable to them missing their luggage or a connecting flight somewhere in the USA.

If this was for me, I would be OK with anything - UA/AI or even booking two separate tickets on QR or EK with an overnight stopover in their hubs (if allowed).

Ideally, we would not travel during these times, but I've been putting off this trip since Jan 2020. We're all set to be vaccinated in ~2 weeks, so the only reason for not traveling now would be arbitrary government restrictions.
surram likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 8:54 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by swordmaster100
We're all set to be vaccinated in ~2 weeks, so the only reason for not traveling now would be arbitrary government restrictions.
Well that's common misconception and way off. Getting the vaccine only means you're much much less likely to get sick if you get Covid-19. Even with the vaccine you can still be a carrier and a spreader. So it isn't arbitrary govt. restrictions - they're sensible ones. After vaccination you'll still be required to wear a mask and get tested when you go to high risk areas like hospitals, potentially airports and everywhere else till a sizeable population has also got the vaccine.

It's still a long road ahead to "normal".
Old Mar 13, 2021, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Mil Miler, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, National Exec. Elite, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by swordmaster100
Interesting way of looking at it. It is for my senior citizen parents traveling by themselves. I was planning QR/EK for them because in worst case, they'll be turned away at check-in. This would be a city they're comfortable with and can just take a taxi home. I personally think this is preferable to them missing their luggage or a connecting flight somewhere in the USA.

If this was for me, I would be OK with anything - UA/AI or even booking two separate tickets on QR or EK with an overnight stopover in their hubs (if allowed).

Ideally, we would not travel during these times, but I've been putting off this trip since Jan 2020. We're all set to be vaccinated in ~2 weeks, so the only reason for not traveling now would be arbitrary government restrictions.
You bring up a great point...actually now I am thinking of sending my mom (traveling alone) on QR. Worst case if she gets turned away I have a backup flight already on UA to IAH-ORD-DEL and AI from DEL-BLR. You are right...ME carriers are easier. She will have only 1 stop and lot less hassles (instead of 2-stops at ORD and DEL and handling baggage in DEL). And only a 2:30 hour connection in DEL. She is 75 and will be requesting assistance from the airline in any case. I am getting the QR award flight...more I think about it...

Thank you for sharing the great thought!
swordmaster100 likes this.

Last edited by surram; Mar 13, 2021 at 10:30 pm Reason: added clarity
Old Mar 14, 2021, 6:18 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Originally Posted by surram
You bring up a great point...actually now I am thinking of sending my mom (traveling alone) on QR. Worst case if she gets turned away I have a backup flight already on UA to IAH-ORD-DEL and AI from DEL-BLR. You are right...ME carriers are easier. She will have only 1 stop and lot less hassles (instead of 2-stops at ORD and DEL and handling baggage in DEL). And only a 2:30 hour connection in DEL. She is 75 and will be requesting assistance from the airline in any case. I am getting the QR award flight...more I think about it...

Thank you for sharing the great thought!
there is always the option of IAH-SFO (UA) - BLR (AI) now.. 17hrs SFO BLR on AI though!
Old Mar 14, 2021, 6:58 am

Programs: UA Plat, Mil Miler, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, National Exec. Elite, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by galaticos
there is always the option of IAH-SFO (UA) - BLR (AI) now.. 17hrs SFO BLR on AI though!
even if I stand upside down I can never get it on UA Award 😳

Any tips? Need to travel around end of March OW IAH-BLR.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Well that's common misconception and way off. Getting the vaccine only means you're much much less likely to get sick if you get Covid-19. Even with the vaccine you can still be a carrier and a spreader. So it isn't arbitrary govt. restrictions - they're sensible ones. After vaccination you'll still be required to wear a mask and get tested when you go to high risk areas like hospitals, potentially airports and everywhere else till a sizeable population has also got the vaccine.

It's still a long road ahead to "normal".
I completely agree with everything you said, sorry for my flippant remarks.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 11:25 am

Has anyone booked or travelled on any RT flights from the US to india recently on QR? I don't see anything available on the QR website until April 2nd but I'm able to book itineraries through 3rd party travel websites. The segments are available to book individually however. I'm wondering if it's safe to book the trip via Amex or if QR is cracking down on transiting passengers and this is why they're not allowing the booking. Thanks.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 8:20 pm

Earlier in this thread (post #784), there are anecdotes from people who were successful in booking flights for a later date and then calling to get them shifted earlier.
Booking via a 3rd party usually is fine, but due to the current pandemic, people are finding it wiser to book directly so that it is marginally easier to get refunds/changes.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by TNDoc
Has anyone booked or travelled on any RT flights from the US to india recently on QR? I don't see anything available on the QR website until April 2nd but I'm able to book itineraries through 3rd party travel websites. The segments are available to book individually however. I'm wondering if it's safe to book the trip via Amex or if QR is cracking down on transiting passengers and this is why they're not allowing the booking. Thanks.
I was able to book without any problem through their website, although I am traveling at the end of April. As the previous poster suggested a lot of people have had no problem moving their dates around.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by abhic2007
I was able to book without any problem through their website, although I am traveling at the end of April. As the previous poster suggested a lot of people have had no problem moving their dates around.
let me know what your experience is like....my family & i are booked on del-iad one way on qr at the end of may....
Old Mar 15, 2021, 5:50 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
US to India via ME

Has anyone recently traveled from US to India via the ME? Curious to know how the COVID test upon arrival went when one was just existing the airport.

I am getting tired of the all night layover in DEL when transiting to MAA.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 2:28 pm

Transit via Canada or Moscow to USA- Travelling with a pet

Hi all - I am relocating from Ind to the US and hv a very specific need to travel with my pet in-cabin.
Currently no direct airline is permitting pets which leaves me with only Air Canada and Aeroflot (Russian airline) which permit pets at the moment.

Please help if you can
1) Canada is issuing transit visa. I have applied but hvnt heard from them yet. Embassy says I am eligible but doesn't mention clearly if they are accepting transit visas. Does anyone know if they are issuing transit visa?
2) Will this transit visa be accepted in India to meet air bubble rules and flying from Del- Vancouver - Seattle
3) Russia doesnt need a transit visa for <24 hr transit for indian passport holders - will a screenshot of this or email from Russian consulate suffice to allow me to board from del-moscow-seattle or are they checking for visa for destination?
Old Mar 15, 2021, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by veevek
Hi all - I am relocating from Ind to the US and hv a very specific need to travel with my pet in-cabin.
Currently no direct airline is permitting pets which leaves me with only Air Canada and Aeroflot (Russian airline) which permit pets at the moment.

Please help if you can
1) Canada is issuing transit visa. I have applied but hvnt heard from them yet. Embassy says I am eligible but doesn't mention clearly if they are accepting transit visas. Does anyone know if they are issuing transit visa?
2) Will this transit visa be accepted in India to meet air bubble rules and flying from Del- Vancouver - Seattle
3) Russia doesnt need a transit visa for <24 hr transit for indian passport holders - will a screenshot of this or email from Russian consulate suffice to allow me to board from del-moscow-seattle or are they checking for visa for destination?
have you checked AI? I was on syd-del last year (VBM) and there was a guy with his cat in the biz cabin..
Old Mar 15, 2021, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
let me know what your experience is like....my family & i are booked on del-iad one way on qr at the end of may....
informally hearing from MoCA that restrictions on ME3 and EU3 might loosen from May 15.. my mom is booked to travel end of May on QR (IAH - BOM)

not sure what this new COVID wave will do to that thought process though..
Old Mar 16, 2021, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by veevek

Please help if you can
For (1) and (3) you will get better information by asking in the Canada forum and Russia forum or Aeroflot forum respectively.

As per air bubble restrictions neither Canada nor Russia are approved countries for transit to the USA. But people here have reported travelling successfully via non-approved routes. YMMV. With a pet involved I would think the complications increase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.