Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2021, 12:50 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
As you note, usually on same ticket the intl leg allowance
I didn't say that at all. USDOT rules apply and so it's allowance of 1st carrier - unless codeshare and then marketing carrier applies. I suspect you get 2 bags with AI because AI has some kind of reciprocal agreements with UA & DL - but there is no way to know that for sure.

But it's still a useful thing for people to know.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 2:23 am

The surprising thing was that the booking for both tickets were done from UA's website and the baggage allowance was shown in the itinerary on their website. This allowance changed depending on whether the domestic leg was on UK or AI and as the international legs were on the same flight (UA metal), that was surprising. As you note, usually on same ticket the intl leg allowance is allowed but this time, overall ticket allowance was changing between 1PC and 2PC's depending on whether domestic partner was AI or UK.
Ticket is for mom and she has no status and flying Y.
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
I didn't say that at all. USDOT rules apply and so it's allowance of 1st carrier - unless codeshare and then marketing carrier applies. I suspect you get 2 bags with AI because AI has some kind of reciprocal agreements with UA & DL - but there is no way to know that for sure.
But it's still a useful thing for people to know.
I had the same doubt some time back and got the answer on the UA forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...lowance-2.html

As PiperAtGatesofDawn has mentioned it is due to the DOT regulations which state that first carrier's allowance will apply. Since AI also flies to the USA they have a published allowance for India-USA which is 2*23 for economy. Vistara doesn't fly to USA direct so there is no published allowance and I am guessing they adopt UA's policy as a codeshare partner.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by xobile
I figured out a workaround for Emirates btw. They won't/can't allow you to book a standard transit flight through the end of February as the air bubble continues through them (and will keep being extended) , but if you book a flight on a future date (even a few days later in March) for the same routing, you can call in to Emirates and they can then change it for free to a February date, though a fare difference may apply.

My initial options were two PNRs on one day in late February ($1600), or one PNR on the next day ($1300)--both as Economy Flex fares and one way. Instead I booked a day in March with an Economy Saver fare for $800. Called in immediately to change the date to late Feb, which they did with a fare difference of $100. I was told they could not take initial bookings for Feb same day flights due to the air bubble, but once it is booked and thus in their control, they can change a booking to be the same day.

So this works, and is yet another reason why everyone can avoid the AI lobby!
Surely you mean the Star Alliance lobby

Interesting workaround! Although Emirates seems to be overpricing - United is offering ex-India fares in the $600-650 range for last week of Feb. Strange that Emirates is charging more even though flights are running empty.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 1:07 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by superboi
United is offering ex-India fares in the $600-650 range for last week of Feb.
I am not able to find any fares so cheap. Which route/ dates did you look at ?
Old Feb 19, 2021, 1:09 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
As PiperAtGatesofDawn has mentioned it is due to the DOT regulations which state that first carrier's allowance will apply. Since AI also flies to the USA they have a published allowance for India-USA which is 2*23 for economy. Vistara doesn't fly to USA direct so there is no published allowance and I am guessing they adopt UA's policy as a codeshare partner.
Good to know, was not aware of this. Thx
Old Feb 20, 2021, 5:31 am

I am not able to find any fares so cheap. Which route/ dates did you look at ?
I searched for DEL/BOM-EWR, DEL-SFO (all directs), BLR-EWR (1-stop) for next week (21-28 Feb). Lowest is $512 economy and even business is available on some days for ~$2000 (lowest cash fare on these routes).

Last edited by superboi; Feb 20, 2021 at 5:32 am Reason: added dates
Old Feb 20, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: EY
I had the same doubt some time back and got the answer on the UA forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...lowance-2.html

I think it's important to note that it is not always the first carrier's allowance that applies, but if applicable, the marketing carrier. In this case, if you are buying on the UA website and the ticket comes from UA, the UA baggage allowance would apply, as they are the marketing carrier.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP HH GOLD EY GOLD
COVID TESTING on arrival at DEL

Anybody transiting via LHR or originating in UK has to undergo mandatory COVID PCR Test at Del. Process is quite streamlined now and in all fairness very decent. You are given a quadruple copy of Passenger Information Form on board and once you land, you are directed to an area where reg tables are set up and they keep your passport. From there your next stop is to pay and/or register for Lounge and Test. Then you are directed to Lab desk where they enter you into Lab reg system and then comes test with both nasal and mouth swabs.

You are then assigned a preset seat number and waiting game begins. There were 3 loungers all the way back of the lounge and highly recommended. Lounge has restrooms but I didn't use them, so can'tsay much about it. The lounge staff comes with boxed breakfast. Veg option had Upma, muffin, some crisps, box of mango juice. There was another option to have scrambled eggs. They do provide hot tea and coffee along with a water bottle for everyone.
The test results are taking approximately 4-5 hours and they release entire flight at once but spaced in groups of 10-15.
And if someone tests positive, 3 rows back and front of the passenger have to undergo mandatory quarantine.
Your passports are returned along with a hard copy of test report with 14 day home quarantine stamp. There is a portal for soft copy but none of the people I knew were able to access soft copy.
After clearing Immigration and Customs, you are directed to another desk to show your test report and then you are on par with citizens of Delhi and free to go your way
This seemed manageable for 1 flight but there was a meeting at 11:30 am on Feb 19th to chalk out the operations as this testing requirement is proposed to be extended to Middle East Carriers from Tuesday onwards.

Hope it helps and gives you an idea to plan for at least 6-7 hrs for your connecting flights.
s1362083 likes this.

Last edited by DELANRDFW; Feb 20, 2021 at 4:10 pm
Old Feb 20, 2021, 10:28 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
New testing rules effective from 23rd Feb - everybody arriving in India has to mandatory have a Covid test. Only exception - emergency travel due to death in the family. UK, EU & ME countries have additional hurdles....

https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/Guideli...ls17022021.pdf
Old Feb 21, 2021, 5:33 am

New testing rules effective from 23rd Feb - everybody arriving in India has to mandatory have a Covid test. Only exception - emergency travel due to death in the family. UK, EU & ME countries have additional hurdles....

https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/Guideli...ls17022021.pdf
(edited) Thanks PiperAtGatesofDawn

Wow...everyone needs to get tested ....even the ones who did the negative PCR.
Lines are going to be very long.

I can envision a lot of frustrated arrival pax.

Last edited by ft4lyf; Feb 21, 2021 at 10:11 am
Old Feb 21, 2021, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by ft4lyf
Wow...everyone needs to get tested ....even the ones who did the negative PCR.
Lines are going to be very long.

I can envision a lot of frustrated arrival pax.
... only if you're traveling in from UK,SA, BR or the Middle East.

Now that's one easy way of stopping people from taking the ME3!
galaticos likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 10:10 am

Ok thank you! I misunderstood that part of the document!

Yes, great way to not allow people to use the ME3.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 10:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
And Europe.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
And Europe.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 4:48 pm

you don’t need to wait for a result for ME and Europe. You test and exit as per the SOP. For UK, Brazil and South Africa you have to wait for a result and then exit upon receiving a negative result. Big difference in terms of waiting at the airport

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.