Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2021, 1:35 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
Was checking in today in ORD for AI126 and was denied as I did not have the expired passport with the OCI sticker. I have been traveling back and forth for the past few months and got tripped on a new rule by GOI. They never cease to amaze me.

For all of you out there, just carry all your old passports just in case some government somewhere comes up a new rule...

Back to origin and start again. Wonder how I can get money back from AI for this ticket?

Yes as others mentioned the old passport rule has been in place for years, but has only actively been enforced in the past year. You can find articles from December 2019 mentioning the start of these issues for travelers. You can also have your oci reissued to match your existing passport if you prefer. It is probably easier for India to just require the oci to be reissued every ten years or whenever a new passport is issued, but that's a separate issue.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by galaticos
Not sure.. worst case should be home quarantien... they sometimes ask "countries visited in last 14 days".. sometimes not.. you still have to carry COVID negative (from maldives since <72 hrs) and fill out Air Suvidha form..

Let us know how it goes!
I am more eager to know if GoAir will let us board since only direct flights from the UK are allowed and transfers not permitted. This is technically not a transfer.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 11:28 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Considering the various travel restrictions due to covid it is best to travel US to India sector on nonstop flights operated by Air India or United. And the best airport to fly to in India is DEL as that airport has policies which closely reflect Govt of India's policies. The other airports have variable restrictions and change frequently and non applied uniformly.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by hyho61
Considering the various travel restrictions due to covid it is best to travel US to India sector on nonstop flights operated by Air India or United.
unfortunately this is true....am forced to take ai direct to dc for my trip next month....
Old Feb 2, 2021, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
I am more eager to know if GoAir will let us board since only direct flights from the UK are allowed and transfers not permitted. This is technically not a transfer.
GoAir might let you board but as galaticos has pointed out you will almost certainly get asked by Indian immigration about your travel history. When they find out you have been in the UK during the last 14 days it will probably require you to take a test at DEL as well. In any case the requirement for institutional quarantine has been replaced with home quarantine as per the latest protocol: https://www.newdelhiairport.in/pdf/A...nuary-2021.pdf

May be useful to keep tracking Delhi Airport's COVID info page for updates: https://www.newdelhiairport.in/covid19
onlysuites likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 3:56 am

Was checking in today in ORD for AI126 and was denied as I did not have the expired passport with the OCI sticker. I have been traveling back and forth for the past few months and got tripped on a new rule by GOI. They never cease to amaze me.

For all of you out there, just carry all your old passports just in case some government somewhere comes up a new rule...

Back to origin and start again. Wonder how I can get money back from AI for this ticket?
Unfortunately these kind of cases (invalid travel documentation) generally get treated as no-shows so you should check the fare rules for the no-show penalty. The airline will disclaim any responsibility since you are required to have your travel documents in order as per the requirements on the day of travel (there are other reports across FT about people being tripped up by last-minute changes to visa requirements etc). Although as others have posted the rule seems to have always existed, just poorly enforced.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
unfortunately this is true....am forced to take ai direct to dc for my trip next month....
At least it is the Dreamliner on that route so if you are in J the seats will be better than the (now) ancient 777s
Old Feb 2, 2021, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by superboi
GoAir might let you board but as galaticos has pointed out you will almost certainly get asked by Indian immigration about your travel history. When they find out you have been in the UK during the last 14 days it will probably require you to take a test at DEL as well. In any case the requirement for institutional quarantine has been replaced with home quarantine as per the latest protocol: https://www.newdelhiairport.in/pdf/A...nuary-2021.pdf

May be useful to keep tracking Delhi Airport's COVID info page for updates: https://www.newdelhiairport.in/covid19
I am anyway heading home so don't mind the 7 days home quarantine. Just the issue about GoAir letting me board in Male. They aren't being helpful at all.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 7:02 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Unfortunately these kind of cases (invalid travel documentation) generally get treated as no-shows so you should check the fare rules for the no-show penalty. The airline will disclaim any responsibility since you are required to have your travel documents in order as per the requirements on the day of travel (there are other reports across FT about people being tripped up by last-minute changes to visa requirements etc). Although as others have posted the rule seems to have always existed, just poorly enforced.
I already got the run around -

1. ORD folks said they cannot make any changes or touch the reservation so I should call the Air India customer service.
2. After much tries got thru and was told that I should contact the webservice email.
3. At the DEL airport they asked me to contact the email for mobile app as I had purchased it via the app.

Yes. I did make it to India without having the old passport with OCI sticker. Must admit they have got it streamlined at DEL airport. There are now 3 lines at exit -
1. If you have the exemption certificate.
2. If you have the COVID test results
3. If none of the above then go for onsite testing.
Finally no rubber stamping your wrists (for a while now). Do keep your paper boarding pass as that is what they stamp to allow you to exit the airport.
superboi likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by onlysuites
I am anyway heading home so don't mind the 7 days home quarantine. Just the issue about GoAir letting me board in Male. They aren't being helpful at all.
It is 14 days quarantine at home. You only get an exemption from 7 days of institutional quarantine. So they "expect" you to quarantine at home for 14 days.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 5:02 pm

Yes. I did make it to India without having the old passport with OCI sticker.
I thought you were denied boarding in ORD?

Last edited by malgudi; Feb 2, 2021 at 6:18 pm
Old Feb 2, 2021, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by malgudi
I thought you were denied boarding in ORD?
All it took was to buy another ticket on a different carrier which did not get the "memo" as AI people indicated they received. I flew AI in Dec without the old passport and it was fine, it just happened that they received a new "memo" just that week I would strongly recommend to stay away from AI. I still have couple of tickets booked with them and wondering how that is going to go.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 6:19 pm

All it took was to buy another ticket on a different carrier.
Wow ... airlines have their own rules?

Last edited by malgudi; Feb 2, 2021 at 6:25 pm
Old Feb 2, 2021, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by malgudi
Wow ... airlines have their own rules?
It is the (station) manager's interpretation of the rules on that day/week.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
At least it is the Dreamliner on that route so if you are in J the seats will be better than the (now) ancient 777s
business class on ai is not something to get excited about at all, doesn't matter if its the dreamliner or 777....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.