Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2021, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Grmaht
I'm okay with that. means we are not tied to taking terrible AI.
This new SOP is essentially the GOI to curtail travel through ME3 and Europe as a loop hole people were trying to use.
galaticos likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 8:58 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
The rationale behind it would be - trying to contain the new strains. Now the US has finally started on a fairly aggressive vaccination plan... so it's really a race between the vaccine & the spread of the new strains.
I understand, but it is a matter of time before they identify a US based strain (which coincidentally has been found in California) and apply the same set of rules.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 11:06 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
I understand, but it is a matter of time before they identify a US based strain (which coincidentally has been found in California) and apply the same set of rules.
Plus I think there was plenty of pressure from Trump to keep travel as "normal" as possible. Not sure if the Biden govt. is doing the same.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 12:46 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Soon you will have the vaccinated crowd showing up thinking that they can travel as they like
TravellingMan likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 5:36 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Plus I think there was plenty of pressure from Trump to keep travel as "normal" as possible. Not sure if the Biden govt. is doing the same.

Valid point - the new admin proposed requiring domestic travelers to be tested 72 hrs before their flights. Strong opposition from the airline lobby made them drop it.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 7:27 am

Programs: UA Plat, Mil Miler, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, National Exec. Elite, Hertz Prez Circle
Question Has there been a change in US-India air bubble?ME3 transit options available from US?

I have gone through this thread but still need some clarity...I am sorry as I am reading contradictory information....I am subscribed to a Facebook group dealing with travel to India during COVID-19 and SOME of them (OCI or Indian nationals) have posted experiences where US citizens with OCI or Indian nationals going from the USA to India using ME3 or European carriers with a transit.

Can a US citizen with OCI living in Houston (IAH) can travel to Bangalore (BLR) without using Air India or United Airlines? For example...are options like Qatar, Emirates, Lufthansa, British Airways, ANA airlines, etc...available and viable...?

I read that only passengers traveling using the "Air Transport Bubbbles" have this restriction..."only passengers originating from Qatar or any country in South America or Africa should be allowed to travel on flights from Qatar to India".
What am I missing? Now I am confused if they are allowing Indian nationals and OCI from the US to transit via the Midde East and then to India...is it true? Please clarify.

Here is the link for the Govt of India notification:
https://www.civilaviation.gov.in/en/...nsport-bubbles

Is this no longer valid? If so, where can I find the updated notice? I want to make sure as my aged mom has to travel travel next month. Please help!
Old Feb 25, 2021, 7:50 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by surram
I have gone through this thread but still need some clarity...I am sorry as I am reading contradictory information....I am subscribed to a Facebook group dealing with travel to India during COVID-19 and SOME of them (OCI or Indian nationals) have posted experiences where US citizens with OCI or Indian nationals going from the USA to India using ME3 or European carriers with a transit.

Can a US citizen with OCI living in Houston (IAH) can travel to Bangalore (BLR) without using Air India or United Airlines? For example...are options like Qatar, Emirates, Lufthansa, British Airways, ANA airlines, etc...available and viable...?

I read that only passengers traveling using the "Air Transport Bubbbles" have this restriction..."only passengers originating from Qatar or any country in South America or Africa should be allowed to travel on flights from Qatar to India".
What am I missing? Now I am confused if they are allowing Indian nationals and OCI from the US to transit via the Midde East and then to India...is it true? Please clarify.

Is this no longer valid? If so, where can I find the updated notice? I want to make sure as my aged mom has to travel travel next month. Please help!

Read above posts. Plenty of DPs here showing that Emirates and Qatar are perfectly fine to take passengers to and from India via their hubs. Etihad is reading the letter far more strictly and is canceling passengers going to India from North America. EK counter told me they've been taking passengers like that since at least September. Family members went a month ago without any issues. Avoid the AI/UA monopoly and book one of the ME3. And you'll probably get an emptier flight (as most people resign themselves to AI), and potentially a shorter flight with transit in the Gulf instead of Delhi.
surram likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 10:57 am

I had a long conversation with a QR agent who seemed to know what she was saying. She iterated they will NOT cancel folks flights/tickets like EY is. If you have a confirmed seat and you meet entry requirements you will be allowed to board.
surram likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Originally Posted by Grmaht
I had a long conversation with a QR agent who seemed to know what she was saying. She iterated they will NOT cancel folks flights/tickets like EY is. If you have a confirmed seat and you meet entry requirements you will be allowed to board.
This is very risky! if the bags have not reached MoCA - they can clamp down anytime citiing violations and people's plans will be thrown in chaos!! same for EK i think.. if you want a guaranteed way of getting between US-India - highly recommend bubble flights... I'm in the middle of my third trip since august - without a bother so far..
Old Feb 26, 2021, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by surram

The air bubble notice you have linked is still valid. Its enforcement is a different story. Like others have pointed out the merits and demerits of transiting in other places have been discussed extensively on this thread with several data points. At the end the choice is yours to make and you may have many factors (convenience, price, availability of flights from nearby airport etc) to consider. Personally I would risk the transit if travelling myself but would not do so for an aged/senior citizen person who may not be similarly equipped to deal with any ensuing hassle (situation may be different if your mom is a seasoned frequent flyer).

Regarding the airlines you have mentioned - remember that people transiting through ME, EU and UK after Feb 22nd have additional testing/quarantine requirements after landing in India. See the discussion on the last couple of pages of this thread - Coronavirus screening in Indian airports I don't think Japan is open to transit and ANA doesn't fly to Bangalore anyway (JAL was scheduled to start this year but it has been deferred due to the pandemic).

If you are considering AI/UA at all then the direct flight from SFO-BLR may be the best option among the various non-stops as your mom will reach Bangalore directly and will not have to undergo the hassle of transit in India. Overall whichever route/airline you choose I would suggest landing international into BLR and avoiding transit elsewhere in India.

Last edited by superboi; Feb 26, 2021 at 3:09 am Reason: added Feb 22nd new guidelines
Old Feb 26, 2021, 5:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
As the summer schedule is about to start the bubble fight flight between the ME3, EU3 and MoCA will flare up again in March. Remember the MoCA won the last round in October and the EU3 reduced their schedule & the ME3 cancelled all reservations.

The ME3 and EU3 will insist that the bubble stuff is over and normal ops should resume. Puri-ji will insist on protectionist bubble babble. Guess who is at the better of the lever?
surram likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
As the summer schedule is about to start the bubble fight flight between the ME3, EU3 and MoCA will flare up again in March. Remember the MoCA won the last round in October and the EU3 reduced their schedule & the ME3 cancelled all reservations.

The ME3 and EU3 will insist that the bubble stuff is over and normal ops should resume. Puri-ji will insist on protectionist bubble babble. Guess who is at the better of the lever?
MoCA definitely has upper hand in that they don’t have commercial considerations 😀.. and public pressure isn’t sustained to open up.. until AI gets sold - this will continue (I hope not but fear this..) is my prediction - or until we reach critical vaccination point..
surram likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 7:05 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by galaticos
This is very risky! if the bags have not reached MoCA - they can clamp down anytime citiing violations and people's plans will be thrown in chaos!! same for EK i think.. if you want a guaranteed way of getting between US-India - highly recommend bubble flights... I'm in the middle of my third trip since august - without a bother so far..

My relatives, whose flights were all booked and handled by me, have completed three rounds trips to India on EY/QR without any issues (EY is a different story). So there's no real risk per se and especially not in the middle of the flight. If there are issues, they will be in the beginning or before the flight. Etihad canceled my flights back in November for the same, but EK and QR have no issues, and neither does customs or immigration who are well aware that people are transiting through the Gulf.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 11:46 am

Ban extended... hardly surprising..

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/81233967.cms
Old Feb 26, 2021, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by xobile
My relatives, whose flights were all booked and handled by me, have completed three rounds trips to India on EY/QR without any issues (EY is a different story). So there's no real risk per se and especially not in the middle of the flight. If there are issues, they will be in the beginning or before the flight. Etihad canceled my flights back in November for the same, but EK and QR have no issues, and neither does customs or immigration who are well aware that people are transiting through the Gulf.
Nice to know.. is it ex US or ex India... QR in India has refused to sell me tickets

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.