Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2021, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by ashwin_s
Is flying to USA via Frankfurt/Dubai/London allowed for an Indian passport holder with a non-immigrant US visa?
unless you have a national interest exception from the usa government, entry via the schengen/uk area is not allowed for non-american citizens/residents....
Devdee008 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by bubu-SNA
US Passport. I just got this spat back from the IATA visa tool, no transit to 3rd country allowed.

"...Passengers are not allowed to transit through Bangalore (BLR), Chennai (MAA), Delhi (DEL), Hyderabad (HYD), Kolkata (CCU) or Mumbai (BOM) to a third country"

I guess the only way to get to Sri Lanka/Maldives is via ME3 & Turkish + whatever charter service.
Unfortunately that seems correct with respect to getting to CMB/MLE.
ME3 seem to be the favorites on FT , especially MLE.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 2:47 pm

US Passport. I just got this spat back from the IATA visa tool, no transit to 3rd country allowed.

"...Passengers are not allowed to transit through Bangalore (BLR), Chennai (MAA), Delhi (DEL), Hyderabad (HYD), Kolkata (CCU) or Mumbai (BOM) to a third country"

I guess the only way to get to Sri Lanka/Maldives is via ME3 & Turkish + whatever charter service.
Also, Turkey announced partial lockdown (just a couple hours ago) ...so, perhaps avoid TK??
Old Apr 13, 2021, 6:55 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
Funny you mention Turkey

Originally Posted by ft4lyf;[url=tel:33175249
33175249[/url]]Also, Turkey announced partial lockdown (just a couple hours ago) ...so, perhaps avoid TK??
Amusing you mention avoiding Turkey...Turkish airways arbitrarily unbooked my confirmed and ticketed reservation (through UA) a few days ago. No equipment or schedule changed...they literally cancelled their segments of the ticket without so much as a notification and so I find myself in this mess to find an alternate route into MLE without paying ME3’s significantly above norm fares.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 7:07 pm

Amusing you mention avoiding Turkey...Turkish airways arbitrarily unbooked my confirmed and ticketed reservation (through UA) a few days ago. No equipment or schedule changed...they literally cancelled their segments of the ticket without so much as a notification and so I find myself in this mess to find an alternate route into MLE without paying ME3’s significantly above norm fares.
that sucks!
Old Apr 13, 2021, 11:13 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
unless you have a national interest exception from the usa government, entry via the schengen/uk area is not allowed for non-american citizens/residents....
What USA allows or doesn't allow is moot because Indian bubble rules don't allow travel to USA through third countries in the ME or EU.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 12:55 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LH and WK also do MLE and are available via UA awards, the only problem is transit in FRA/ZRH because the timings don't align and you have to spend 10+ in the transit zone/hotel.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
What USA allows or doesn't allow is moot because Indian bubble rules don't allow travel to USA through third countries in the ME or EU.
not really....the indian government is making exceptions in certain cases for travel through the eu & middle east....i got one myself & know others who have too....they are also turning a blind eye to those who are booking travel with a day or so layovers....but no matter what permission they give, unless you have a national interest exception from the usa government, you can't enter via the uk/schengen area....
Devdee008 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

my brother, his wife & kids have a booking on cx from jfk-del via hkg towards the end of june....this is a redemption booking that they made in early 2020, after which their flights got cancelled & instead of asking for the miles back he changed their travel date to june 2021....

now cx flights from hkg - india remain suspended till 30th april....i'm pretty confident this ban will be extended & is unlikely to come to an end by the end of june....

my question is, does anyone have any experience what cx would do in this situation????would they simply cancel the tickets or would they be willing to put the passengers on another one world flight that is operating to india, like ba for example????

have no experience with cx so thought i would ask here before getting in touch with them....
Old Apr 14, 2021, 7:47 am

Programs: EY
I think we all know those 'rules' are ignored, certainly through the ME, as I've had plenty of DP regarding the same (and if not straight transit, you can just book a one day stay in Dubai and be in full compliance with the UAE Bubble). Or Keyser did a few months ago, an Indian national can go through Europe if they have a national interest exemption, which admittedly is a very very small percentage of the population.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 10:47 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
my brother, his wife & kids have a booking on cx from jfk-del via hkg towards the end of june....this is a redemption booking that they made in early 2020, after which their flights got cancelled & instead of asking for the miles back he changed their travel date to june 2021....

now cx flights from hkg - india remain suspended till 30th april....i'm pretty confident this ban will be extended & is unlikely to come to an end by the end of june....

my question is, does anyone have any experience what cx would do in this situation????would they simply cancel the tickets or would they be willing to put the passengers on another one world flight that is operating to india, like ba for example????

have no experience with cx so thought i would ask here before getting in touch with them....
are these CX miles? Unfortunately until Govt announces ban till end of June, these tickets are valid so any change will attract any change fees.. if these are CX miles, they can change to any OW carrier.. few options below

1) ask to book on QR (Lower co-pay compared to BA) - we know QR is honoring bookings made before ban is extended and flying pax per earlier reports from xobile
2) india has formed bubble with Sri Lanka - assuming flights start under that, can route JFK-HKG-CMB-DEL? With CMB-DEL on UL..
Old Apr 14, 2021, 1:06 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
not really....the indian government is making exceptions in certain cases for travel through the eu & middle east....i got one myself & know others who have too....they are also turning a blind eye to those who are booking travel with a day or so layovers....but no matter what permission they give, unless you have a national interest exception from the usa government, you can't enter via the uk/schengen area....
Originally Posted by xobile
I think we all know those 'rules' are ignored, certainly through the ME, as I've had plenty of DP regarding the same (and if not straight transit, you can just book a one day stay in Dubai and be in full compliance with the UAE Bubble). Or Keyser did a few months ago, an Indian national can go through Europe if they have a national interest exemption, which admittedly is a very very small percentage of the population.
I think all this really confuses OP.

OP had a simple question of whether transit was allowed or not. And the simple answer is that it's not allowed. And that's exactly what I told him - It's not allowed by rules, however people have tried getting around it with varying degrees of success some of which they've documented here. If OP is interested about how he/she can get around it... they can read the thread and ask further questions.

Till then Keyser's level 0 access to the secret bunker under the White House or how one does a day stop or splits PNRs or what not is really going way ahead of OP.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 1:11 pm

my brother, his wife & kids have a booking on cx from jfk-del via hkg towards the end of june
You should ask this on the CX forum... I'm sure there will be plenty of people with similar experiences there.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by galaticos
are these CX miles? Unfortunately until Govt announces ban till end of June, these tickets are valid so any change will attract any change fees.. if these are CX miles, they can change to any OW carrier.. few options below
yes, cx miles....they are happy to wait till june to see what the government does but with the way things are going there is a fair change regular operation will not resume at that point....

Originally Posted by galaticos
1) ask to book on QR (Lower co-pay compared to BA) - we know QR is honoring bookings made before ban is extended and flying pax per earlier reports from xobile
2) india has formed bubble with Sri Lanka - assuming flights start under that, can route JFK-HKG-CMB-DEL? With CMB-DEL on UL..
thanks....both options seem doable....i'll give them a call to see if they are willing to change to either option....
Old Apr 14, 2021, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You should ask this on the CX forum... I'm sure there will be plenty of people with similar experiences there.
that is what i was going to do next....just wanted to check here first to see if anyone had any experience with cx lately....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.