Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2020, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
As expected the MOCA is upset about the 6th freedom rights that the EU3 are excercising. What they forget is that LH is in revenue sharing with AC & UA so it has the rights to to transport pax from the US & CA to India as these fall under the India-US/CA bubble. What aim for is the same deal they made with Germany in 2006: if AI cannot utilize the parity frequencies, they can barter them to LH in return for 50-100 seats on every LH flight. AI minted money that way in 2006-15. They extended the deal to ZRH and VIE, the latter of which they even operated for OS.

Basically India and Germany need to renegotiate the bilaterals and not pretend to organize repatriation bubbles. I'm pretty certain AI is also declaring the AI 11xx flights are ad hoc repatriation flights to get a break on the cost of the overflying rights that are pretty expensive for scheduled flights.
Great analysis.

Also, glad you made it back! Hope you had a successful trip to CCU.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 8:17 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
As expected the MOCA is upset about the 6th freedom rights that the EU3 are excercising. What they forget is that LH is in revenue sharing with AC & UA so it has the rights to to transport pax from the US & CA to India as these fall under the India-US/CA bubble. What aim for is the same deal they made with Germany in 2006: if AI cannot utilize the parity frequencies, they can barter them to LH in return for 50-100 seats on every LH flight. AI minted money that way in 2006-15. They extended the deal to ZRH and VIE, the latter of which they even operated for OS.

Basically India and Germany need to renegotiate the bilaterals and not pretend to organize repatriation bubbles. I'm pretty certain AI is also declaring the AI 11xx flights are ad hoc repatriation flights to get a break on the cost of the overflying rights that are pretty expensive for scheduled flights.
Just trying to understand this standoff, but aren't BA also doing the same thing. Allowing you to connect via LHR onwards to North America and elsewhere and not only taking passengers jumping off at LHR ?
Old Oct 12, 2020, 12:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Yes, the EU3 were all selling 6th freedom connections because the bubble agreement is not specific enough. The ME3 are not because the bubble agreement was specific.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by quarryking
Just trying to understand this standoff, but aren't BA also doing the same thing. Allowing you to connect via LHR onwards to North America and elsewhere and not only taking passengers jumping off at LHR ?
BA website has a page with entry requirements for various countries.
For OCI's, they now mention something like "UK passport holders with OCI card" can board flights to/from India.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 4:18 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
The govt. has started cracking down on people connecting onwards... LH & KL got a scolding for that... BA might be next on the list.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
The govt. has started cracking down on people connecting onwards... LH & KL got a scolding for that... BA might be next on the list.
i'm wondering just how big this segment is right now....entry into usa via europe is pretty much restricted to citizens & legal permanent residents & a few select others....i would think that the number of people who were flying to usa from india via europe would have been extremely small....
Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

The EU3 all have their respective tie ups with the US3, so they are routing US and CA pax thru their hubs and insisting it is legal as they can be counted to be customers of the US3 who have a bubble deal.

I suppose this is all in prep for the diwali traffic. If the decision to hold Durga Puja in WB as in normal times is an indicator, I'm sure the Modi govt wants to allow Diwali travel to appease their base. Of course the NRI/PIO Indians are supposed to come to India on VB flights where they are treated like cattle and fed from a box while paying non market prices.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 12:35 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
i would think that the number of people who were flying to usa from india via europe would have been extremely small....
I thought the same.. but it is apparently big enough for GoI to make an issue out of.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 12:27 am

Programs: AA EXP HH GOLD EY GOLD
Well, I doubt they can touch BA as agreement clearly states that foreign nationals could be transiting via UK. Exact wording here, "Stranded UK nationals/residents, foreign nationals transiting through UK or spouses of these persons, whether accompanying or otherwise;"

Whereas agreement with Germany says, passengers can transit but need to be destined for Europe
Hence the ruckus with Germany.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
I thought the same.. but it is apparently big enough for GoI to make an issue out of.
it doesn't seem to be....there are others issues at play here....

i was speaking with an af/kl representative the other day who claimed that after the initial rush when international flights first re-started, the number of passengers transiting from india - usa via cdg/ams were & continued to be minuscule....then goi started huffing & puffing & threatened to blow the bubble away....
Old Oct 13, 2020, 1:25 am

A Munich Airport Forum I read someone mentioned that on the DEL-MUC flights 70% continued on to other destinations, mostly to US/CA.

The consumer had/has a choice: fly AI point to point with substandard service and high price or with one of the foreign airlines that seem to be fine with competing on price and service. The GoI needs to accept that we are not in the 70s anymore ... misusing a crisis to undo liberalizations done over three decades (that benefitted the consumer) is cray cray.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The consumer had/has a choice: fly AI point to point with substandard service and high price or with one of the foreign airlines that seem to be fine with competing on price and service. The GoI needs to accept that we are not in the 70s anymore ... misusing a crisis to undo liberalizations done over three decades (that benefitted the consumer) is cray cray.
i agree with this completely....all said & done, goi is completely misusing this opportunity which will ultimately only hurt the end consumer....

A Munich Airport Forum I read someone mentioned that on the DEL-MUC flights 70% continued on to other destinations, mostly to US/CA.
but i still find it hard to believe that there would be enough traffic on this route given all the restrictions usa has put on transit via europe....

either way, maybe they can resolve things before my flight at the end of the month....i've got my fingers crossed but given the speed of how goi operates, i'm not very hopeful....
Old Oct 13, 2020, 3:59 am

it doesn't seem to be....there are others issues at play here....

i was speaking with an af/kl representative the other day who claimed that after the initial rush when international flights first re-started, the number of passengers transiting from india - usa via cdg/ams were & continued to be minuscule....then goi started huffing & puffing & threatened to blow the bubble away....
Given it's almost all business or repatriation and no tourism.... I can't imagine too many people flying to Germany or France (even if it is to get entry to EU) vs. going to the US. I don't have any hard data of course but it would either mean that the BOM/DEL/BLR - FRA/MUC flights are going empty (which I don't think is the case because of how keen they are to operate 20 flights a week) or they are connecting to NA. So there there must be a sizeable US/CA citizens and PRs to justify that traffic.

The problem must be significantly worse on the inbound flights - where of course GoI has little leverage - and can't make any rules to ban Indian citizens in NA returning through EU or anywhere else. So they're pressuring the EU3 to stop with bookings both ways - painting them in worse light on the outbounds.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given it's almost all business or repatriation and no tourism.... I can't imagine too many people flying to Germany or France (even if it is to get entry to EU) vs. going to the US. I don't have any hard data of course but it would either mean that the BOM/DEL/BLR - FRA/MUC flights are going empty (which I don't think is the case because of how keen they are to operate 20 flights a week) or they are connecting to NA. So there there must be a sizeable US/CA citizens and PRs to justify that traffic.

The problem must be significantly worse on the inbound flights - where of course GoI has little leverage - and can't make any rules to ban Indian citizens in NA returning through EU or anywhere else. So they're pressuring the EU3 to stop with bookings both ways - painting them in worse light on the outbounds.
no flights for the time being is hurting both lh & ai....ai managed to take advance with vande bharat flights (since they were the only ones flying at that point) & lh managed to take advantage of sixth freedom flights (since hardly anyone wanted to fly ai)....i just hope they can sort this out soon....
Old Oct 13, 2020, 4:12 am

no flights for the time being is hurting both lh & ai....ai managed to take advance with vande bharat flights (since they were the only ones flying at that point) & lh managed to take advantage of sixth freedom flights (since hardly anyone wanted to fly ai)....i just hope they can sort this out soon....
With the limited overall flying that AI is doing - I'm sure it's hurting them much more. LH is dancing on $10b they just got from the govt. Plus they're operating a healthy number of routes. But given that EU is now beating India in daily cases... EU might shutdown (or slowdown) again very soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.