FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]
Old Oct 13, 2020, 3:59 am
PiperAtGatesofDawn

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
it doesn't seem to be....there are others issues at play here....

i was speaking with an af/kl representative the other day who claimed that after the initial rush when international flights first re-started, the number of passengers transiting from india - usa via cdg/ams were & continued to be minuscule....then goi started huffing & puffing & threatened to blow the bubble away....
Given it's almost all business or repatriation and no tourism.... I can't imagine too many people flying to Germany or France (even if it is to get entry to EU) vs. going to the US. I don't have any hard data of course but it would either mean that the BOM/DEL/BLR - FRA/MUC flights are going empty (which I don't think is the case because of how keen they are to operate 20 flights a week) or they are connecting to NA. So there there must be a sizeable US/CA citizens and PRs to justify that traffic.

The problem must be significantly worse on the inbound flights - where of course GoI has little leverage - and can't make any rules to ban Indian citizens in NA returning through EU or anywhere else. So they're pressuring the EU3 to stop with bookings both ways - painting them in worse light on the outbounds.