Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2023, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Sometimes customer service on twitter is quicker than other ways to contact Iberia:
https://twitter.com/Iberia_en
Print Wikipost

Iberia Award ticket cancel Avios refund

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by GVA
Except for the last agent, IB's service levels are shockingly poor and I had a couple of agents hang up on me. The "don't give" attitude is prominent and it seems their metrics are measured on how many phone calls they can process rather than actually resolving problems or helping the customer. Overall a 0 out of 10.
i've had at least two (possibly three) agents hang up on me over the last few months.

not sure whether i'm relieved that it's not just me ... or appalled that it's such a common thing !
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:01 am

I cancelled two award tickets on the 14th and the Avios posted back in the account sometime over the weekend.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:02 pm

I have an "Economy class" IB Avios award with 2 passengers on an IB flight. There's no fee to cancel or change this award, unlike the Blue class awards.

However, awards can only be changed or cancelled by phone. Will I still pay the phone fee of 25 Euro or is that also waived? If so, is it 25 per PNR or 25 per passenger?

Sorry if this was answered, but I couldn't find it.
Thank you.

P.S. Maybe these threads could be combined:
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Full fare economy rewards have no charge to change or cancel, even over the phone.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA
Is it strange to see "Blue class" available but "Economy class" not available? I thought "Blue" was considered a "Saver" class?

Are Iberia Avios bookings on BA metal eligible for cancellation the same as IB metal?

Does Iberia have a 24 hour cancellation for *any* Avios bookings to/from the US?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:57 pm

How far in can the award tickets be cancelled? E.g. 24h prior to departure date?

Thanks!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by italian7
How far in can the award tickets be cancelled? E.g. 24h prior to departure date?

Thanks!
Up to 24 hours before the local departure time of the first flight in the itinerary.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Got denied on changing an IB/AA ticket today even with a small schedule change. Will IB atleast refund my taxes? I paid almost $150 in taxes which is more frustrating to lose than the miles.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Got denied on changing an IB/AA ticket today even with a small schedule change. Will IB atleast refund my taxes? I paid almost $150 in taxes which is more frustrating to lose than the miles.
You didn't pay $150 in "taxes". You paid a small amount of government taxes and substantially more in "carrier-imposed surcharge", which is almost always non-refundable.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by craigthemif
You didn't pay $150 in "taxes". You paid a small amount of government taxes and substantially more in "carrier-imposed surcharge", which is almost always non-refundable.
Just looked at my receipt and I paid $75 in YQ/YR and $75 in taxes. If $75 is a small amount to you then congrats!
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Just looked at my receipt and I paid $75 in YQ/YR and $75 in taxes. If $75 is a small amount to you then congrats!
Then you would be entitled to a refund of $75 (the government-imposed taxes) less whatever IB decides to charge as a "processing fee".
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:51 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
If I have a IB single segment J Avios, I know I can pay 25EUR to change/cancel. If I do a date change (same flight is available) but go from off-peak to peak, would it be a reprice of avios?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jason8612
If I have a IB single segment J Avios, I know I can pay 25EUR to change/cancel. If I do a date change (same flight is available) but go from off-peak to peak, would it be a reprice of avios?
Of course - otherwise it would be abused to death...
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by wiivile
Up to 24 hours before the local departure time of the first flight in the itinerary.
This is what worries me. I see it at the bottom of my receipt.
Last Tuesday morning before we were to drive 2 -1/2 hrs to Miami for our flight my husband had a stroke. Our flight was for 8:30 that evening
Later that afternoon around 1:30 ET I called and spoke in Spanish to Iberia Plus agent about canceling our 4 flights , Mia to Mad in business class for Tuesday the 26th and Mad to LPA in economy on the 30th of March.
He assured me that all my Avios would be refunded and fees for the exception of the 25Euros per person.
At 11 am this morning I sent an email regarding all the flights and cancelation and asking for a confirmation email that this was being processed since once I canceled it was no longer visible on my account since I had not seen any Avios returned nor a refund on my credit card.
Then this afternoon one of the flights Mad to LPA was refunded 11k Avios for the 30th of March flight.
Just about an hour ago I called and spoke in Spanish to an agent and again he assured me all would be refunded.
I am worried about the 24 hour statement and whether I would indeed get my refund for the Mia to Mad flight that cost us 85k Avios plus taxes.
If not then I need to figure out how much my flights using 85k Avios are worth so I can submit a claim to my insurance company.
Any thoughts and help is appreciated. ib
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by duranza
This is what worries me. I see it at the bottom of my receipt.
Last Tuesday morning before we were to drive 2 -1/2 hrs to Miami for our flight my husband had a stroke. Our flight was for 8:30 that evening
Later that afternoon around 1:30 ET I called and spoke in Spanish to Iberia Plus agent about canceling our 4 flights , Mia to Mad in business class for Tuesday the 26th and Mad to LPA in economy on the 30th of March.
He assured me that all my Avios would be refunded and fees for the exception of the 25Euros per person.
At 11 am this morning I sent an email regarding all the flights and cancelation and asking for a confirmation email that this was being processed since once I canceled it was no longer visible on my account since I had not seen any Avios returned nor a refund on my credit card.
Then this afternoon one of the flights Mad to LPA was refunded 11k Avios for the 30th of March flight.
Just about an hour ago I called and spoke in Spanish to an agent and again he assured me all would be refunded.
I am worried about the 24 hour statement and whether I would indeed get my refund for the Mia to Mad flight that cost us 85k Avios plus taxes.
If not then I need to figure out how much my flights using 85k Avios are worth so I can submit a claim to my insurance company.
Any thoughts and help is appreciated. ib
Sad news. Hoping for a swift recovery.

To be honest, you probably won't get your Avios back for the flights canceled within 24 hours. All the phone agents do is send the cancellations off to their back office to be processed, where they might be rather more strict about the T&Cs.

As for insurance, I would probably use the standard price for buying 85,000 Avios directly from IB+. You could also try for the regular price of Business Class tickets if paying cash, using the argument of going to Spain at some point in the future under the same conditions as your missed flight. Neither might be accepted by your insurance company but I'd start there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.