Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2023, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Sometimes customer service on twitter is quicker than other ways to contact Iberia:
https://twitter.com/Iberia_en
Print Wikipost

Iberia Award ticket cancel Avios refund

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2020, 9:42 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
YAY - I got it too !

Today my Iberia account was updated with Avios and I received a confirmation email with a refund-attachment back into my used US$-account
Faster than any of my many cancelled-by-Delta refund requests that are still in processing mode after many weeks.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Per person per ticket.
Sorry for dragging up this old post. Is this still correct? Just double-checking because when booking, the website stipulates the 25 € fee under the heading "Reembolso (por sentido)"...

Also, I am looking at booking a one-way award ticket SCQ - MAD - ATH. If I book both segments in economy, there wouldn't be any charges for changes or cancellations. What is the situation if I book a) both in blue or b) one in blue and the other in economy?

Thanks!
Old Apr 11, 2020, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sofarocker
Sorry for dragging up this old post. Is this still correct? Just double-checking because when booking, the website stipulates the 25 € fee under the heading "Reembolso (por sentido)"...

Also, I am looking at booking a one-way award ticket SCQ - MAD - ATH. If I book both segments in economy, there wouldn't be any charges for changes or cancellations. What is the situation if I book a) both in blue or b) one in blue and the other in economy?

Thanks!
If one or more segments are in Blue, you have to pay ONE fee.
sofarocker likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 5:21 am

Respect to Iberia! Cancelled the trip (award in IB J for flight which was still operating at the time of cancelling) via phone and Avios and money posted three weeks later to my accounts. You´ve got my continuous loyalty Iberia!

For comparison DL tickets cancelled same day and the money are nowhere to be seen, no help via phone or email.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:41 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
Originally Posted by travelalot2
Respect to Iberia! Cancelled the trip (award in IB J for flight which was still operating at the time of cancelling) via phone and Avios and money posted three weeks later to my accounts. You´ve got my continuous loyalty Iberia!

For comparison DL tickets cancelled same day and the money are nowhere to be seen, no help via phone or email.
Which phone number? Cant get trough.

I called one in the UK. They said they dont do avios stuff. They gave me a spanish number. But no response there.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by northernstar84

I called one in the UK. They said they dont do avios stuff. They gave me a spanish number. But no response there.

I called the one provided for Iberia Plus on their website https://www.iberia.com/gb/contact/ and when prompted I said Avios booking (as somebody recommended few posts earlier) and went through in few minutes and all was done in less than five minutes. Though I have to admit the girl on the phone said that I should say Iberia Plus for that specific booking when she saw it but neverthless helped me in cancelling.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 9:01 am

You can get a response by email - plus the added benefit of having it in writing !

Originally Posted by Travelomania
Would you mind sharing the email address you used ?
Is it: [email protected]?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:54 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
You can get a response by email - plus the added benefit of having it in writing !
I sent an email. The answer I got is that I have to call. They dont process refund over email.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 11:06 am

Programs: Free Agent
I called the US number last week to cancel September travel. Miles redeposited and fees fully credited back to issuing credit card within 7 calendar days.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 11:13 am

I sent an email. The answer I got is that I have to call. They dont process refund over email.
Perhaps, only for their customers outside the EU ?
All I can do is quote my experience on April 10 below:

Today my Iberia account was updated with Avios and I received a confirmation email with a refund-attachment back into my used US$-account
Faster than any of my many cancelled-by-Delta refund requests that are still in processing mode after many weeks.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:48 am

Well, looks like I have been to generous to Iberia. My friend who cancelled the same day as me does not have the money nor the Avios yet. Iberia responses to email are irrelevant saying for cancellation please call, even though the reservation is already one month cancelled and when called no help just telling - you have to wait more. So looks like there are really widely different levels of service from different offices or agents(?). Me and seems few others here were really lucky and some will need to fight or wait long time for their refunds. Seems poor in the end.

Last edited by Prospero; Apr 15, 2020 at 5:15 am Reason: Clean up rogue code
Old Apr 15, 2020, 10:00 am

My friend who cancelled the same day as me
Perhaps this makes a difference ?
All flights cancelled by the airline must be refunded under EU261 rules.

i.e. My flight (tomorrow - April 16) was cancelled by the airline.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 10:22 am

Fast Award Refund

Just another data point.

Maybe Iberia is catching up in processing refunds.

I had an April 26 award flight for 2 on Iberia metal from JFK to LIS with a connection in MAD using Iberia Avios, that Iberia cancelled a month ago. On a separate PNR, I had a May 8 award return flight for 2 using Iberia Avios from MAD to JFK, also on Iberia metal. As the outbound was cancelled, I knew I could get a full refund on the outbound without paying the $40/ticket. But I wanted to wait to see if the return was cancelled so I could just make one phone call, assuming I'd be on hold for an hour.

On 4/11, the May 8 return flight was finally cancelled.
On 4/12 (Sunday late night), I called the US Iberia customer service number and got through to an agent in about 2 minutes. They took my info and said I'd have to wait weeks for the Avios and $ to be refunded and that I would get an email when complete.
On 4/13, I received 4 emails documenting each of the $ refund transactions.
On 4/14, my Avios were refunded.
On 4/15, my $ were back on my credit card.

Thanks Iberia for a super fast response, much faster than the cancellation and refund of my 14 Delta flights, and almost as fast as my Jet Blue cancellations.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by Paulchili
Thank you - sounds like a good outcome.
I will do this a little closer to the tome of flight.
An update.
My SFO-MAD flight was cancelled. Not that I was informed or anything - just found out by logging in.
Called IB and cancelled my J award (X2). Was told that they would charge me $40/pp cancellation fee even though the flight was cancelled by IB.
4 days later I found my Avios in my account and the FUL taxes/fees refunded to my CC - happy camper.
That said, they are not an easy airline to deal with in general - I got lucky with the right CS agent.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 10:05 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by Jim055
I called the US number last week to cancel September travel. Miles redeposited and fees fully credited back to issuing credit card within 7 calendar days.

I thought one couldn't cancel without paying a fee? I have 2 round trip flights for Aug & Sept and was waiting for them to cancel them.. I used avios for both .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.