Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2023, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Sometimes customer service on twitter is quicker than other ways to contact Iberia:
https://twitter.com/Iberia_en
Print Wikipost

Iberia Award ticket cancel Avios refund

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2020, 6:38 am

Programs: M&M FTL, 1WRLD SAPPHIRE, AZ CORP
FYI - I cancelled my reward ticket by calling the Iberia Plus number in Italy (voluntary cancellation). The whole process was excruciatingly long.
However I received an email confermation the following day and the refund was credited to my card three days later.
Still waiting for the Avios though.
fingers crossed.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 4:06 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Would appreciate a bit of advice. I have received notification of a 5 hour schedule change which probably is not going to work with my plans. This was a 50% Avios booking in their recent promo. When I log in it gives me two options:

1. Accept changes
2. Do not accept

If I select option two does it then give further options and if so what should be expected.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Would appreciate a bit of advice. I have received notification of a 5 hour schedule change which probably is not going to work with my plans. This was a 50% Avios booking in their recent promo. When I log in it gives me two options:

1. Accept changes
2. Do not accept

If I select option two does it then give further options and if so what should be expected.
Nothing will happen IIRC... you will be told to call Iberia Plus to cancel for a refund. It's very unlikely that you can negotiate a rerouting over the phone, but you can try... You should also be able to change dates and keep the 50% Avios pricing, as long as you don't switch from off-peak to peak.
ExpatSomchai likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
One of the legs on my award booking was canceled, and I got through to someone at the end of April, who canceled the reservation and said I'd receive a confirmation email. Five weeks later, and no email or refund of points or cash, but the reservation is no longer viewable on Iberia.com. I've tried calling twice and gave up at the hour mark. Is it worth trying more, or should I just keep waiting?
Old Jun 9, 2021, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam1222
One of the legs on my award booking was canceled, and I got through to someone at the end of April, who canceled the reservation and said I'd receive a confirmation email. Five weeks later, and no email or refund of points or cash, but the reservation is no longer viewable on Iberia.com. I've tried calling twice and gave up at the hour mark. Is it worth trying more, or should I just keep waiting?
You'll need to call. The agent did something wrong...

Try one of the European numbers during European business hours to not be on hold for so long.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
You'll need to call. The agent did something wrong...

Try one of the European numbers during European business hours to not be on hold for so long.
Thanks, was afraid of that. Unfortunately, the UK and Spain numbers both tell me to call back later and hang up after 3 minutes
Old Jun 11, 2021, 10:38 am
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
Has anybody recently had luck cancelling an award and receiving a refund via email? If so could you please give a little detail such as email address, timing, etc. Thanks.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by ned
Has anybody recently had luck cancelling an award and receiving a refund via email? If so could you please give a little detail such as email address, timing, etc. Thanks.
100%, agree that getting Avios refunded is a major headache with Iberia.

1-Call the usual phone number and when it asks what you’re calling about say “Avios booking”, it should then ask you your IB Plus number, after entering your number it will prompt again for a selection and you can then press 0 to get a rep. They likely won’t be able to refund on the phone, but why not try anyway, they told me they had to send a request to the back office. You can let them do this for you too, but even if they do put in a request continue with the below.

2-Per a prior comment on this thread, “email [email protected] Her name is Sol Orduna”. Put your IB plus number in the subject line and make sure to provide a detailed request in the email like Avios owed, ticket number, confirmation number, etc. This email has worked twice for me. Most recently the points were refunded in 1 business day.

3-Send exact same email as above to clasica@iberia.es put IB plus number in the subject line, etc. this will ensure that if ‘Sol’ doesn’t do the refund at least it should go through the regular service channels.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by NYCpointsuser
100%, agree that getting Avios refunded is a major headache with Iberia.

1-Call the usual phone number and when it asks what you’re calling about say “Avios booking”, it should then ask you your IB Plus number, after entering your number it will prompt again for a selection and you can then press 0 to get a rep. They likely won’t be able to refund on the phone, but why not try anyway, they told me they had to send a request to the back office. You can let them do this for you too, but even if they do put in a request continue with the below.

2-Per a prior comment on this thread, “email [email protected] Her name is Sol Orduna”. Put your IB plus number in the subject line and make sure to provide a detailed request in the email like Avios owed, ticket number, confirmation number, etc. This email has worked twice for me. Most recently the points were refunded in 1 business day.

3-Send exact same email as above to clasica@iberia.es put IB plus number in the subject line, etc. this will ensure that if ‘Sol’ doesn’t do the refund at least it should go through the regular service channels.
FYI, I am trying to get my points and $ back from a reservation that was successfully canceled back in April, but unfortunately #1 gets you into the new "hang up at 3 minutes" hold pattern.
I tried #3 on June 10, got a confirmation email, and then got an email on June 13 saying:
"We inform you that we have not been able to access your email dated 10/06/2021. If your request is still pending, please click and complete the information again in the following form:https://contacto.iberia.com/ "

I then filled out that form, and then got an email on June 15, that said it will be processed as soon as possible. Haven't heard back. Just tried your method #2.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 8:39 am

The recent posts don't look good, but I'll try this. We're booked FCO-MAD-BOS in PE on the TATL segment on an award (one-way with the outbound booked on another program). We'd be interested in delaying it by a week (late September-early October). We called and the agent there was nothing with the "same seats" (would never say the words "Premium Economy," but I guess that's what he meant) on any of our dates, which could be directly changed. The only way to change cabin would be to get the Avios refunded, which he said could be done in six days, but we did that last year and it took months. I'm asking here if we could really expect it in six days, but the recent posts don't look promising. There was one date that had two Business award seats, which we were going for with extra money, but we would downgrade to regular Economy to get the dates we prefer. (With the Avios prices having gone up, at essentially a wash.) Is it confirmed that we need to get the Avios refunded to get a booking in either other cabin?

My wife tried to call again for another agent, and this one said she couldn't answer about an Italy-originating trip when we were calling the U.S. number; then why did we get help the first time? Since we first called before 8 a.m. Eastern, could that call have forwarded to Spain? The first agent didn't offer BA flights, which I don't really like with the extra fees and stories of frequent schedule changes, but they show on the site with PE availability: could we press to get the trip directly changed to BA?
Old Jul 6, 2021, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rove312
The recent posts don't look good, but I'll try this. We're booked FCO-MAD-BOS in PE on the TATL segment on an award (one-way with the outbound booked on another program). We'd be interested in delaying it by a week (late September-early October). We called and the agent there was nothing with the "same seats" (would never say the words "Premium Economy," but I guess that's what he meant) on any of our dates, which could be directly changed. The only way to change cabin would be to get the Avios refunded, which he said could be done in six days, but we did that last year and it took months. I'm asking here if we could really expect it in six days, but the recent posts don't look promising. There was one date that had two Business award seats, which we were going for with extra money, but we would downgrade to regular Economy to get the dates we prefer. (With the Avios prices having gone up, at essentially a wash.) Is it confirmed that we need to get the Avios refunded to get a booking in either other cabin?

My wife tried to call again for another agent, and this one said she couldn't answer about an Italy-originating trip when we were calling the U.S. number; then why did we get help the first time? Since we first called before 8 a.m. Eastern, could that call have forwarded to Spain? The first agent didn't offer BA flights, which I don't really like with the extra fees and stories of frequent schedule changes, but they show on the site with PE availability: could we press to get the trip directly changed to BA?
For voluntary changes, IB+ agents are only able to change the dates on award tickets. You cannot change origin, destination or routing. And the new dates must have award space in your booked cabin.

Everything else requires a cancellation and subsequent rebooking at current pricing. No chance of re-routing on BA or upgrading/downgrading.

If your flight is cancelled, then you would have a bit more flexibility.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 11:36 am

I guess Iberia must be in a bad cash position because they are clearly attempting to defeat refunds by inaction. I had a flight that was cancelled in May and I called and asked for a refund of the Avios and taxes. I was told "15 days" and all was good but so far nothing has been refunded. Calling just results in a hang up after 3 minutes. So basically the same story as everyone else. Not sure what recourse there is other than possibly trying a charge back for the taxes but I'd like the Avios back.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by lkar
I guess Iberia must be in a bad cash position because they are clearly attempting to defeat refunds by inaction. I had a flight that was cancelled in May and I called and asked for a refund of the Avios and taxes. I was told "15 days" and all was good but so far nothing has been refunded. Calling just results in a hang up after 3 minutes. So basically the same story as everyone else. Not sure what recourse there is other than possibly trying a charge back for the taxes but I'd like the Avios back.
I think it's a competence issue re phone agents and a conscious decision to not allow any method other than phone.
Unfortunately none of the alternative methods others have suggested work. I called 103 times, and on July 4 got an agent who recognized I'd requested a refund for a cancelled flight April 30 and again on June 10, elevated to a supervisor, and I'd get a refund in 72 hours. sure enough my Amex had a credit today and the avios are back in my account.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 12:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Originally Posted by Adam1222
I think it's a competence issue re phone agents and a conscious decision to not allow any method other than phone.
Unfortunately none of the alternative methods others have suggested work. I called 103 times, and on July 4 got an agent who recognized I'd requested a refund for a cancelled flight April 30 and again on June 10, elevated to a supervisor, and I'd get a refund in 72 hours. sure enough my Amex had a credit today and the avios are back in my account.
Did yiu pay any fees for cancellation I booked a flight using avios from jfk to athens but Greece just got upgraded to cdc level 4. Just wondering since I booked with miles for business class if i would lose any compensation
Old Aug 3, 2021, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by happyvoid
Did yiu pay any fees for cancellation I booked a flight using avios from jfk to athens but Greece just got upgraded to cdc level 4. Just wondering since I booked with miles for business class if i would lose any compensation

I did not voluntarily cancel my flight; the flight was canceled by Iberia. Thus, no fees were owed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.