Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2023, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Sometimes customer service on twitter is quicker than other ways to contact Iberia:
https://twitter.com/Iberia_en
Print Wikipost

Iberia Award ticket cancel Avios refund

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2020, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Travelomania
Many Congrats to you !
Would you mind sharing the email address you used ?
Is it: [email protected] ?
Yes, that's the one. Put your Iberia account # in the subject line, or else it won't go through. The note I got is below:
Regarding the Avios reimbursement request, we must inform you that we proceeded to speed up the process, and is now complete, if you want to get more information, you can check your Avios balance online on your profile or you can contact our Customer Service Line at the phone number (U.S.A. +1 800 772 4642) (U.K. +44 02 036 843 774) (Spain +34 901 111 500)
Old Apr 3, 2020, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Yes, that's the one. Put your Iberia account # in the subject line, or else it won't go through. The note I got is below:
Regarding the Avios reimbursement request, we must inform you that we proceeded to speed up the process, and is now complete, if you want to get more information, you can check your Avios balance online on your profile or you can contact our Customer Service Line at the phone number (U.S.A. +1 800 772 4642) (U.K. +44 02 036 843 774) (Spain +34 901 111 500)

Many Thanks and só much appreciated - this is very helpful indeed !
Old Apr 3, 2020, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Were you charged for the redeposit of Avios? If so, how much? Was your flight cancelled or did you cancel voluntarily?
TIA
Old Apr 4, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Paulchili
Were you charged for the redeposit of Avios? If so, how much? Was your flight cancelled or did you cancel voluntarily?
TIA
My flight was not cancelled at the time. I tried to fight for a free redeposit but she wasn't having it and I didn't have the energy to deal with it, so I accepted a voucher for the taxes ($42 per ticket) instead. The voucher never came but instead my credit card was refunded the full taxes, my ideal outcome. So ultimately I got my taxes and miles back for free.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 10:16 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
My flight was not cancelled at the time. I tried to fight for a free redeposit but she wasn't having it and I didn't have the energy to deal with it, so I accepted a voucher for the taxes ($42 per ticket) instead. The voucher never came but instead my credit card was refunded the full taxes, my ideal outcome. So ultimately I got my taxes and miles back for free.
Thank you - sounds like a good outcome.
I will do this a little closer to the tome of flight.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
For an upcoming reward flight, I tried the email address, and got a response back that they can't do cancellations over email so I have to call. Of course, when i called I got stuck in a loop. Will wait until closer to the trip and try again....
Old Apr 5, 2020, 3:02 pm

I have a flights June 9th-24th and had a 2hr layover turn into an 8hr layover with my 1 year old daughter coming home from Europe. It is all on American Airlines using Iberia Avios. I now know this isn't a great idea since they hate returning miles when booking AA. I called to see if I could get a different flight when one became available with less of a layover. They said they can't change my Business class seat to a flight with only economy seats. If I just cancel and rebook will I get my miles back since it had a pretty big schedule change? (The flight I am on was in a press release for being canceled by AA but it is still showing in my account as active)
Old Apr 5, 2020, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Adam1222
For an upcoming reward flight, I tried the email address, and got a response back that they can't do cancellations over email so I have to call. Of course, when i called I got stuck in a loop. Will wait until closer to the trip and try again....
Called the U.K. number +44 02 036 843 774 today and spoke to someone in 5 minutes.

Was chasing outstanding funds and avios which failed to arrive. They going to reapply for the refunds and asked me to wait another couple of weeks..
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:05 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Duane Haas
I have a flights June 9th-24th and had a 2hr layover turn into an 8hr layover with my 1 year old daughter coming home from Europe. It is all on American Airlines using Iberia Avios. I now know this isn't a great idea since they hate returning miles when booking AA. I called to see if I could get a different flight when one became available with less of a layover. They said they can't change my Business class seat to a flight with only economy seats. If I just cancel and rebook will I get my miles back since it had a pretty big schedule change? (The flight I am on was in a press release for being canceled by AA but it is still showing in my account as active)
Tough one...I thought you lost the lot with Iberia third party bookings , but I stand to be corrected.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Duane Haas
Wait until AA cancels.

Otherwise you will most likely lose your Avios. As the agent probably didn't make clear, they might be able to fudge a flight change, but anything that requires a cancellation and re-booking (such as changing cabin) isn't allowed.

FWIW, travel to Europe isn't going to be back on for June. No point assuming that a flight change is worth pursuing.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 5:13 am

Iberia phoned me today to update me on my refund of Avios and Money. The guy apologies for the delay and said current estimations are that I will be waiting up to 60 days from when I requested to cancel my award to when the refund should be finalised.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Wait until AA cancels.

Otherwise you will most likely lose your Avios. As the agent probably didn't make clear, they might be able to fudge a flight change, but anything that requires a cancellation and re-booking (such as changing cabin) isn't allowed.

FWIW, travel to Europe isn't going to be back on for June. No point assuming that a flight change is worth pursuing.
Flights were canceled today by American Airlines. I will try to get through to see about a refund.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Iberia phoned me today to update me on my refund of Avios and Money. The guy apologies for the delay and said current estimations are that I will be waiting up to 60 days from when I requested to cancel my award to when the refund should be finalised.
Called the U.K. number +44 02 036 843 774 today and spoke to someone in 5 minutes.
Was chasing outstanding funds and avios which failed to arrive. They going to reapply for the refunds and asked me to wait another couple of weeks..
Just to square this away I today had both the credit to my card and the avios back in my account. I initially cancelled my award booking on the 13th of March, called 3 weeks later to chase and emailed them on the same day. Whilst I often berate IB for their lack of customer empathy they have done as well as I could have expected. The other thing to note ( as others have too ) I got all of my ticket cost back, they did not withhold the 30 Euro charge per person even though I cancelled not them.

Last edited by sunshinebob; Apr 8, 2020 at 6:58 am
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:38 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Good to hear !
I assume you must currently be there locally to receive that phone call ?
(Just curious, as that soon will be one of my addresses too - Torremolinos/border with Malaga - and Iberia is our frequently used airline, together with Air Europa and Delta).
My IB flight on April 16th was cancelled by the airline.
I received a response - on my Tweet and to my other email request for a refund a week ago - that it is in process.
So far so good.

Last edited by Travelomania; Apr 8, 2020 at 9:46 am
Old Apr 9, 2020, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by Travelomania
Good to hear !
I assume you must currently be there locally to receive that phone call ?
Yes, I am locked down in Spain, near Malaga. I phoned the UK number as English is my first language and left both my Spanish and UK mobile numbers (its on one phone) with Iberia. They phoned me back on my UK number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.