Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2023, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Sometimes customer service on twitter is quicker than other ways to contact Iberia:
https://twitter.com/Iberia_en
Print Wikipost

Iberia Award ticket cancel Avios refund

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
The Spanish Iberia Plus number worked a charm, although I was placed on hold for 5 minutes or more. I was told my Avios will be back in my account within 72 hours, I will get an email, but no confirmation number, the 25 Euro fee is taken out of the fee I paid for my flight and the difference credited back to my account within one credit cycle. The agent was very pleasant, too. So I am all set-I have cancelled my Iberia booking, rebooked with AA at twice the miles, but now have no issue with making the connection for my TAP flights and get 2 nights in Madrid and found a reasonable airport hotel with a pool and is 10 minutes from a subway stop. Thanks for the help! The regular Iberia number still disconnects after 30 seconds.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Alas, so much for working like a charm! No email confirmation, no Avios, no refund! This was five days ago, guess I will wait a bit more and then start looking into it. I am glad I don't need those Avios for anything else!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
My first agent today said that she could book my flights with the Avios being returned, even though they were not yet in my account. I was not 100 % sure about which flight, so she told me to note my ticket numbers (for the refunded flights) and call back when I knew it.

Called back 15 minutes later only to find agents who said this was impossible. Tried HUACA twice, still did not work. I guess I'll just wait until they show up in my account.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime platinum; DL: lifetime GM 3-MM FC; AA lifetime platinum; United silver
If I book a frequent flyer ticket on Air Moroc using Iberia Avios and then have to cancel, will I get a recrediting of my Avios? My fees?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:14 am

No. The only refundable redemptions are on the IB group, VY and BA.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Originally Posted by Yllanes
No. The only refundable redemptions are on the IB group, VY and BA.
VY redemptions (IB5XXX) are also nonredundable
Yllanes likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:05 am
Original Member

Hello all
Dows anyone know how far ahead one has to cancel an IB+ award booking on IB metal. I have a booking on IB to NRT that I am hoping a better routing opens up on another airline. Is there a 24 hour cutoff prior to the booked flight departure time like with BA Avios?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by zhlobsky
Thank you, Craigthemif.
Is there still a requirement that AA awards booked using IB Avios be round-trip, or can I book a one-way award (as I could with BA Avios) by calling the IB call center? The IB website isn't very helpful in this regard, short of telling me that there's no availability for AA award bookings when I attempt to book a one-way ticket.
Did you ever try calling to do this and did it work? As far as I know you still need a round trip, and if you search one way online they exclude those flights.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:50 am

Does O and D need to remain for changes? can it be within 24 hrs? Looking to switch a mad-ams to mad-lhr or something similar where it will be <6 hrs before departure. Seems if o and d are the same an earlier flight change is only 25 euro still, but if city changes were possible would be great.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
City changes are not possible. As awards are priced on a per-segment basis, I would assume that the whole routing needs to be identical. I just moved an award by 6 days, that was no issue at all. (They did forget to charge me the 25€ though - a different department called me back the following day and asked for payment, otherwise they wouldn't have been able to issue the new tickets...)

But as soon as you want to change the departure/arrival city, you have to cancel and book again. And it will take at least 3 days to get the Avios back, often much longer.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:11 am

Can anyone point me to the website which states their cancellation policy of reward flights as I am struggling to find it and I need to provide details to my credit card company for a chargeback.

I booked MAD-MIA reward tickets in July 2018 for 13th September (85k avios and £176 in fees/taxes)
I cancelled on the 1st September 2018 and was told I would get my avios back and the fees/taxes less a £25 fee.
I didn't receive anything back and called a few times to chase it up. I received my avios back but nothing was refunded to my CC.
I then initiated a charge back to my credit card as calling Iberia continually is painful. I am still waiting for them to deal with it and decided to give Iberia one last try; I just spoke to a rude member of staff who now says I am only entitled to a £14 refund...?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I don't believe this information is published online. In fact, you probably saw a 25 euro cancellation fee when you booked the reward.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
It´s def in the T&C of the IbPlus program. But if the OP is too lazy to check that, I´m not gonna do its job. Just do some research, not just checking 1 min whether you can see anything on the web. It´s also pathetic asking the question in two different topics.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Runner123
Alas, so much for working like a charm! No email confirmation, no Avios, no refund! This was five days ago, guess I will wait a bit more and then start looking into it. I am glad I don't need those Avios for anything else!
How long did it take before your Avios were finally returned and your tax/fees refunded? It's been a week (7 days) for me and still no e-mail confirmation, Avios or refund.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
If you don’t follow up, it can easily take 2 weeks before you get your Avios back.
I would call Iberia Plus (+34 917 742 607) and ask to get the miles back. Tell them you need them urgently to make a new booking. Then they can deposit the miles immediately.
However, that only works if it’s been at least 2-3 days since you cancelled, like in your case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.