Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2023, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Sometimes customer service on twitter is quicker than other ways to contact Iberia:
https://twitter.com/Iberia_en
Print Wikipost

Iberia Award ticket cancel Avios refund

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by cruisr
After speaking to four different phone agents I finally got the one I needed. I xld an Avios booking and received the refund notice so that is moving along but no Avios back in my account yet.

How many days would you wait, if the refunds for cash/Avios differ, before calling and asking when the Avios would be put back.

i got the money back on my CC in less than a week. Have been too busy with other things and didn’t check the Avios until just now. They still haven’t gone back into my account. Guess I’ll be n the phone with multiple Iberia agents tomorrow UGH.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:43 pm

clarification on Avios refund

This is clear as mud. For clarification if I book an all BA ticket using Avios it is not refundable?!?!
The terms and conditions around the rate are not clear on this.

I appear to save huge taxes/fees by separating the US to LHR portion in business class and the intraeurope portion in coach. But if it is non-changable or refundable....may need to rethink.
Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hillcountrytraveller
This is clear as mud. For clarification if I book an all BA ticket using Avios it is not refundable?!?!
The terms and conditions around the rate are not clear on this.

I appear to save huge taxes/fees by separating the US to LHR portion in business class and the intraeurope portion in coach. But if it is non-changable or refundable....may need to rethink.
Thanks!
BA rewards are also refundable. That said, it's not very clear why you don't just book it using ba.com so that you have 100% piece of mind.
Old May 5, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: HHonorsGold, MarriottPlat, BAEC Gold, FlyingBlue Silver
Refund fee per ticket or per direction/flight?

Refund fee for business class tickets is €25.
Is that per direction for a return ticket (ie €50) or is it €25 per ticket irrespective whether its one-way or return?
Old May 5, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MOZBOB
Refund fee for business class tickets is €25.
Is that per direction for a return ticket (ie €50) or is it €25 per ticket irrespective whether its one-way or return?
Per person per ticket.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:01 am

How long for refund to show up

How many days I have to wait after cancelling iberia booking to get avios and cash refunded?
I have not even received cancellation email? I canceled on Thursday.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mshah
How many days I have to wait after cancelling iberia booking to get avios and cash refunded?
It is done with an abacus and carrier pigeons.

If you can still manage your booking online, you might want to call and reconfirm the cancellation. Otherwise you simply have to wait...
Old May 13, 2018, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by mshah
Aprox 72-96 hours to have a email with a pdf attached with the refund. Since then, a couple of days to have the Avios back and money back in the CC (depending of bank). If you need the Avios back earlier, after getting the email you can call them and they force the transaction to have the Avios back.

If you are Iberia Plus Oro and above, the whole process(from my experience) are done by the agent in the same call you have to request the cancellation. When you hang up you have the Avios in your account.
Old May 24, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Interesting. Called the NEW number of Iberia Plus in Spain (+34 917 742 607) and because it was 3AM down there, they answered immediately. I asked the CSR to reimburse two one way tickets booked with Avios for mid July on the ORD-MAD route in Y. She told me they charge $40 USD (thought it was 25 Euros) per passenger and that she would return the $180 USD in taxes minus the $80 USD in 20-30 days and the 40,000 Avios in 10 days. So I went ahead and cancelled them and got two tickets on WW LAX-KEF-AMS at $190 USD all in for the same day to start our Euro Vacation and attend a wedding. Of course, now I can cancel my WN positioning flight to MDW and fly out from good ol LAX to Europe. Who new I could get a cheap one way to Europe two months before departure in peek season. Too bad they now charge $40 USD and not $30, which is the equivalent of 25 Euros.
Old May 25, 2018, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carlitos
Interesting. Called the NEW number of Iberia Plus in Spain (+34 917 742 607) and because it was 3AM down there, they answered immediately. I asked the CSR to reimburse two one way tickets booked with Avios for mid July on the ORD-MAD route in Y. She told me they charge $40 USD (thought it was 25 Euros) per passenger and that she would return the $180 USD in taxes minus the $80 USD in 20-30 days and the 40,000 Avios in 10 days. So I went ahead and cancelled them and got two tickets on WW LAX-KEF-AMS at $190 USD all in for the same day to start our Euro Vacation and attend a wedding. Of course, now I can cancel my WN positioning flight to MDW and fly out from good ol LAX to Europe. Who new I could get a cheap one way to Europe two months before departure in peek season. Too bad they now charge $40 USD and not $30, which is the equivalent of 25 Euros.
Cancellation fee is only 25 euros if you paid your taxes and surcharges in euros.

If you pay in any other currency - $, £, etc. - you pay whatever the cancellation fee is for that currency, which is advised to you at the time of booking.

Irrespective of where your IB+ account is based, you can choose to book via the website for other countries, if receiving the lowest cancellation fee is a consideration.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Cancellation fee is only 25 euros if you paid your taxes and surcharges in euros.

If you pay in any other currency - $, £, etc. - you pay whatever the cancellation fee is for that currency, which is advised to you at the time of booking.

Irrespective of where your IB+ account is based, you can choose to book via the website for other countries, if receiving the lowest cancellation fee is a consideration.
Being a Spanish Citizen and having a Spanish Credit and Debit Card, I still chose to pay in the USA with my CSR Credit Card, as I do live in the United States. It says clearly in the ticket receipt (email) after the schedule and baggage allowance, that in case I cancel the ticket, a 25 Euros Fee would apply per ticket, and after that, there are the USD fees and amount Avios I paid for the tickets.

There is NO mentioning of any type of fee being charged in USD in case I cancel the Avios Tickets. Well, we will see when they refund the Credit Card, as then I will know the amount the charged for the fee. Interesting that IB does not charge you the fee upfront like AA and then returns the entire amount of fees paid to the form of payment.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 5:56 pm

Refund of the Avios to my IB Account took 4 days (they said to allow 10 days)
Refund of the Taxes paid to my Credit Card took 7 days (they said to allow 30 days)

Actual cost to refund each ticket $40 USD (learned my lesson, book using the Spanish Web Site to only pay 25 Euros)
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
I am looking at booking either OAK-BCN on Level or OAK-BCN-LIS on Level plus Vueling using Avios. I understand the booking of OAK-BCN would be refundable with 25 euro fee (premium economy), but what if I put the Vueling flight on the same ticket? The whole thing becomes nonrefundable? Partially refundable? Fully refundable?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: AMEX Cenutrion, DL Platinum, CO Gold, US Plat., VS Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Plat.
So given that this topic is, as others have said, clear as mud, are AA award bookings using IB Plus Avios changeable (for a fee), or are they both non-refundable AND ALSO non-changeable in terms of changing dates but keeping the same routing? Or does whether they are changeable for another date depend upon what CSR you get at Iberia's call center in Spain or elsewhere (because the T&Cs are sloppily written and subject to varying interpretations)?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zhlobsky
So given that this topic is, as others have said, clear as mud, are AA award bookings using IB Plus Avios changeable (for a fee), or are they both non-refundable AND ALSO non-changeable in terms of changing dates but keeping the same routing? Or does whether they are changeable for another date depend upon what CSR you get at Iberia's call center in Spain or elsewhere (because the T&Cs are sloppily written and subject to varying interpretations)?
It's as clear as water. AA awards are non-changeable and non-refundable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.