Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2023, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Sometimes customer service on twitter is quicker than other ways to contact Iberia:
https://twitter.com/Iberia_en
Print Wikipost

Iberia Award ticket cancel Avios refund

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: AMEX Cenutrion, DL Platinum, CO Gold, US Plat., VS Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Plat.
Originally Posted by craigthemif
It's as clear as water. AA awards are non-changeable and non-refundable.
Thank you, Craigthemif.
Is there still a requirement that AA awards booked using IB Avios be round-trip, or can I book a one-way award (as I could with BA Avios) by calling the IB call center? The IB website isn't very helpful in this regard, short of telling me that there's no availability for AA award bookings when I attempt to book a one-way ticket.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by craigthemif
VY awards are definitely non-refundable.

IB/YW definitely are refundable.

I believe BA is refundable when booked alone or with IB flights. When part of a multi-airline Oneworld award itinerary I believe the whole thing is non-refundable.
I believe the prevailing wisdom about non -cancellable AA awards but I couldn't find anything on Iberia.com specifying the policy. Can someone point me to it? Thanks!
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:09 am

When you are making a booking, just click on the name of the different fares (Azul, Turista, etc.) and a table with the conditions will pop up.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver, TK ElitePlus
Hi - went through the posts here but still unsure - cancellation of an award business ticket is at 25EUR - also for the "Avios + Money Payment" option - independent of the Avios/Money ratio?
Thanks
JJBe
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JJBe
Hi - went through the posts here but still unsure - cancellation of an award business ticket is at 25EUR - also for the "Avios + Money Payment" option - independent of the Avios/Money ratio?
Thanks
JJBe
Yes, you get the "Money" element back.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by cruisr
i got the money back on my CC in less than a week. Have been too busy with other things and didn’t check the Avios until just now. They still haven’t gone back into my account. Guess I’ll be n the phone with multiple Iberia agents tomorrow UGH.
This may be helpful to some older IB account holders who have not seen their 90,000 points post. I never received my 34,000 points for the cancelled IB flight. The reason was that I had has no activity in my account for 3 years, as IB does not count Avios transfer from BA as activity. So, they consider the account inactive and when the refunded points hit the account they immediately disappeared. That was a frustrating lesson learned and another reason why i did not take place in the 90k promo.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I wanted to add a segment to an award booking (GRU-LHR-ARN instead of GRU-LHR), they said for that the ticket would have to be cancelled as the routing can*t be changed, but the Avios would be back in the account after 24 hours at most.
Being a complete IDIOT, I proceeded with the cancellation, only to read here that it can take DAYS to get the Avios back...
Also, the account was inactive (new account with promotion Avios), so I just bought 2000 Avios for 54€ to make sure the account will at least be active...
Any way to speed up the refund process? I really, really need the Avios...
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
I wanted to add a segment to an award booking (GRU-LHR-ARN) instead of GRU-LHR, they said for that the ticket would have to be cancelled, Avios would be back in the account after 24 hours.
Being a complete IDIOT, I did that, only to read here that it can take DAYS to get the Avios back... Also, the account was inactive (new account with promotion Avios), so I just bought 2000 Avios for 54€ to make sure the account will at least be active...
Any way to speed up the refund process? I really, really need the Avios...
Nope. Last time I cancelled it took over a week. And when I called up to chase the agent was a jerk about it.

It does seem rather silly to risk losing a GRU-LHR over a European flight you could get with Reward Flight Saver.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Yes, it was stupid.
The reason I did it was I originally didn't see award availabilty for LHR-ARN, and only realized it was available when I booked for my gf right afterwards, noticing GRU-LHR-ARN was a bit cheaper than separate bookings.
And I wanted to use my Gold status to link the bookings, so we could select seats for free on BA, so we needed to have the same itinerary...
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
I cancelled a couple bookings to the USA within 24 hours, but was still hit with the €25 fee when I check the refunds. Does Iberia somehow feel they are exempt from the DOT 24-hour rule, which does in fact apply to award tickets?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I cancelled a couple bookings to the USA within 24 hours, but was still hit with the €25 fee when I check the refunds. Does Iberia somehow feel they are exempt from the DOT 24-hour rule, which does in fact apply to award tickets?
If you didn't book it on the US marketed website, no they do not need to allow the 24 hour cancel. I'm no expert in IB but according to earlier post 25 eur fee means you did not pay in US dollars so likely it was not us marketed site.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by CDKing
If you didn't book it on the US marketed website, no they do not need to allow the 24 hour cancel. I'm no expert in IB but according to earlier post 25 eur fee means you did not pay in US dollars so likely it was not us marketed site.
US Dollars and US site. The fee was actually exactly $40USD per ticket now that i pulled up the receipt and did the math. I thought it was closer to €25.

I have a feeling that the 24-hour provision isn't hard-coded into the refund process.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I am having an issue where I am trying to cancel my Iberia award flight. I've called over 12 times in the past day. Either the phone is busy or I get disconnected within a minute or two. All different times of day, 2 different phones. Any ideas?
Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:57 am

Any Iberia callcenter should be able to cancel an award.
If you want to speak to Iberia Plus directly, the best way is their Spanish callcenter:
.+34 917 742 607‬

We never received any written confirmation of the cancellation. Agents gave us different answers every time when we asked how long it would take to get the Avios back (from 24 hours to 10 days!). When I called again 3 days after the cancellation, the unfriendly agent told me that everything had long been refunded. When I said that wasn’t the case and that we hadn’t even received an email, she put me on hold and when she came back, sure enough, the Avios were back in the account.

My impression is that regulär callcenter agents can cancel bookings, but that the refund process is handled by a different department. Only after they have issued the refund (which one should receive an email about), Iberia Plus can manually deposit the Avios back into the account, in case it didn’t happen automatically.
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Any Iberia callcenter should be able to cancel an award.
If you want to speak to Iberia Plus directly, the best way is their Spanish callcenter:
.+34 917 742 607‬

We never received any written confirmation of the cancellation. Agents gave us different answers every time when we asked how long it would take to get the Avios back (from 24 hours to 10 days!). When I called again 3 days after the cancellation, the unfriendly agent told me that everything had long been refunded. When I said that wasn’t the case and that we hadn’t even received an email, she put me on hold and when she came back, sure enough, the Avios were back in the account.

My impression is that regulär callcenter agents can cancel bookings, but that the refund process is handled by a different department. Only after they have issued the refund (which one should receive an email about), Iberia Plus can manually deposit the Avios back into the account, in case it didn’t happen automatically.
Has this call centre number worked for you?

I have been given 4 different numbers and none have worked. To add insult to injury, one was a premium rate number and costs over £1/min...

Can you change an avoid booking or must you cancel it and then rebook?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.