Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2023, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Sometimes customer service on twitter is quicker than other ways to contact Iberia:
https://twitter.com/Iberia_en
Print Wikipost

Iberia Award ticket cancel Avios refund

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2023, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dieterm
For economy (non-blue) reward flights, are they refundable without the fee or not refundable at all?
There is no fee. Fully refundable.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:09 pm

MAD-DFW ticket, started refund process through whatsapp chat, was charged $40 per ticket, was told refund will be issued in 7 days
Old Feb 14, 2024, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
Originally Posted by RJ5929
MAD-DFW ticket, started refund process through whatsapp chat, was charged $40 per ticket, was told refund will be issued in 7 days
Same for me today (except eur 25 pp cancellation fee for me) ... Just wondering how quick you got the cash refund in the end/avios back? If you did get them back by now that is!

I was told 7 business days for both and was provided a case ref - but no confirmation email yet.

I also successfully changed another booking for my mom paying eur 25, and that change was effectuated right away (can already see the new details on MMB) + new e-ticket info sent through on email.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 1:52 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
Just to report I got the cancellation emails this morning under 12 hours after calling and all avios back in my account as well. Waiting on cash still but so far way better than what's been reported in this thread.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 8:41 am

Programs: Executive Club
I'm having a complete nightmare. I have 3 reward flights I tried to cancel. I called 12 days ago, answered straightaway but the agent was so slow that after 1 hour she was still working on the cancelations and I got cut off. I called back and the second agent I spoke to said all three flights had been cancelled and I should expect my Avios and refund within 48 hours. Nothing came. Tried the Twitter team, they took forever to respond to ask me for my phone number and said someone would call me. Nobody called. Tried completing the webform, just got a standard reply saying I needed to go to Iberia.com to verify my contact options (which obviously I had done hence the webform). Called again. The agent I spoke to said that because all three flights had been taken out of the bookings, but only one had been cancelled, the system had automatically allocated me new flights (????) on two of the bookings, so now I had two seats on the same flight on a date I didn't want, one in Business one in Economy. One of these flights looked decent so I said to keep that one and to cancel the Economy one. Agent said the other booking had been cancelled correctly and should have been refunded, she didn't know why it hadn't been but she would escalate and try to get the two flights refunded yesterday. This obviously didn't happen, and today I received an email saying that if I want to cancel my flights I should speak to the contact centre.

Before anyone says I should have reserved on BA.com I was unable to, I tried many many times to reserve these flights on BA and I kept getting an error.

I'm going to leave it until Tuesday, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd be really grateful.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 4:12 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
If I do a points + cash booking and have to cancel for a refund, will I be refunded the amount of points I paid + the cash I paid (after paying the cancellation fee?)

Example in my case, I am looking at an award that is 5.900 Avios + 261,48€ (but it's also available for 31.750 Avios + 131,48€). If I were to cancel, after paying the 25 EUR fee, would I be refunded 15.9K Avios + 261,48€, or is the extra cash invested converted to Avios at the time of booking, and I get more avios and less cash refunded?

Also, I am US based, but does paying in EUR afford me the lower 25 EUR cancellation fee? Or will they assess the $40 US fee?

Last edited by Prospero; Mar 22, 2024 at 1:51 pm Reason: Adjust colour for dark mode readers
Old Mar 5, 2024, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
If I do a points + cash booking and have to cancel for a refund, will I be refunded the amount of points I paid + the cash I paid (after paying the cancellation fee?)

Example in my case, I am looking at an award that is 15.900 Avios + 261,48€ (but it's also available for 31.750 Avios+ 131,48€). If I were to cancel, after paying the 25 EUR fee, would I be refunded 15.9K Avios + 261,48€, or is the extra cash invested converted to Avios at the time of booking, and I get more avios and less cash refunded?

Also, I am US based, but does paying in EUR afford me the lower 25 EUR cancellation fee? Or will they assess the $40 US fee?
You are refunded the cash minus the fee.

If you pay in euros on the Spain website you will pay a 25 euro fee to cancel. They won't look at your account address to force you to pay the fee in $.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 2:03 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by craigthemif
You are refunded the cash minus the fee.

If you pay in euros on the Spain website you will pay a 25 euro fee to cancel. They won't look at your account address to force you to pay the fee in $.
My experience regarding the refunds of the cash was like this up to last year but in January I had to pay the fee(25€) and in a different transaction they reimbursed the cash.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 9:05 am

Programs: Skymiles, Avios, Aeroplan
Just cancelled an Iberia Plus flight and it seems they have changed their process. They now charge the 25euro/40usd fee before they cancel and refund.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 12:17 pm

Here's my experience so far. I booked two MIA-MAD flights in premium economy back in January. Things changed and I needed to cancel the flights.

3/13/2024
Agent 1 - I called on 3/13/2024 and spoke with one agent. He started the process of cancelling the flights and he was getting ready to charge me the $40 cancellation fee (as others have said, it appears this is the new way of doing things - you have to pay the cancellation fee first and then they issue the refund). I input my credit card details using the phone keypad, the charge was approved by my credit card company, but he comes back and tells me it didn't go through on his end. We tried again with the same card, same result. We tried a different card, same result. I insisted that the charges were all approved on my end, but he told me that I need to call my bank to resolve it. Since he had already had me on hold several times during the call, I asked him to wait while I called the credit card company. I called my credit card company and they said there were no issues with the charges and that there was nothing further they could do. While this was going on, the agent hung up on me. This call was 32 minutes long.

Agent 2 - I called back a few minutes later, got an agent that was in a call center and couldn't hear a thing, so hung up.

Agent 3 - I called back again and had to repeat everything over again even though I selected the option to continue with the same transaction that the VRU asks you about. We went through the same things except this agent tried sending me an email with a link to enter in my credit card info. The charge went through on my end, but he said it didn't go through on his end. He suggested I wait and call back in a couple of hours because it may be an issue with their system. I insisted that it shouldn't be this difficult to cancel a flight and get a refund and he responded that this is totally normal and that it's common for customers to have to call three or four times to cancel a flight. I told him this was ridiculous and asked if I could speak to a supervisor. He took down my contact information and said someone would get in touch with me. He then provided me with a case number. This call was 31 minutes long.

WhatsApp chat - from this forum, I found out that Iberia had a chat function via WhatsApp. Once I got through the bot, I got connected with an agent. I described what I wanted to do with the agent, she confirmed that it was $40 per passenger and asked if I wanted to still cancel the flights. I responded yes. She tells me the case has ben elevated to the responsible department, gave me a case number, and said that it takes 72 hours to 7 business days and that I would receive an email. She asked if the information was clear. I said no and asked what the next steps were. She said I just have to wait until I receive an email. The chat lasted 27 minutes. After this chat, the flights appeared to be cancelled. I couldn't access the reservation using the record locator anymore.
3/14/2024
Received a call from a +34 number at 4:46 am. I wasn't awake to take the call, but I'm assuming it was Iberia calling back. No message was left.
3/21/2024
WhatsApp chat - almost 7 business days had passed and I hadn't received anything (no email, no refund, no return of my avios), so I decided to try my luck. I got through the bot and got connected with an agent. I gave him all the info again, he didn't have any information on the status of my case and just said that within 24 hours I would hear something. I asked him why the cancellation can't be done right away and he didn't answer my question and just said that my case was escalated to the responsible department.
3/22/2024
Twenty-four hours have passed and I still haven't seen any movement. No email, no call, no refund, and no return of my avios. I chatted again and got the same answer. They're working on my case, it's been escalated and I have to wait until they get in touch with me. No ETA on when that would occur.
I'll update this when I do hear back.
3/23/2024
Decided to resort to Twitter to see if I could get any movement on this. Didn't make much progress, but the person manning the Twitter account said someone would get in touch with me soon.
3/27/2024
Got a few calls from Iberia during the week, most of them were at 6 in the morning and I wasn't awake to answer. They did try one day at a normal hour, but I was in a meeting and couldn't answer. Finally, today, they called and I was able to answer. The agent basically told me the same thing, I needed to pay upfront to cancel and then the Avios and money would be returned. I insisted that it shouldn't be this difficult to cancel a flight and that I've been trying to cancel for two weeks. She confirmed some info, sent me an email to pay the cancellation fee, it seemed to work correctly, but no charge appeared on my credit card. The agent came back on the line and said due to all the inconvenience with cancelling the flights, they weren't going to charge me the cancellation me. The timeline they gave me for when my Avios and money would be refunded was something like 7 days. So, we'll see if this actually gets resolved soon.
3/29/2024
Got a message from the social media folks on Twitter saying that the backend folks let them know that emails were sent out to us and that the Avios would be refunded w/in 72 hours and up to 30 days for the money to be refunded. I responded saying that I hadn't received any emails yet and they just told me to wait up to 72 hours.
3/31/2024
Got the email saying that the Avios were back in my account and confirmed this by logging in.
4/1/2024
Got an email from PayPal saying I was receiving a refund from Iberia.
4/2/2024
Refund showed up on the credit card used w/ PayPal.
So, even though it took almost three weeks, I got my Avios and my money back and somehow avoided paying the $40 pp cancellation fee.

Last edited by lespedeza; Apr 3, 2024 at 1:10 pm Reason: Update evolution of case.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 12:43 pm

Called around 3PM to cancel a flight and was advised the 7-15 days timeline. Said we want to rebook a different flight and they told us it will be done within 24 hours and they will call us back to help rebook. Saw the charge for $40 right away. Received the avios and cash refund next day around 10AM. Avios in the account but don't see the cash refund hit credit card yet. Got lucky and was painless.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 6:54 am

Programs: IB+ Oro / OWS
Called to cancel an avios ticket last night. This morning the avios hadn't returned yet so called back and the agent said they 'pushed the transactio forward manually" and I got the avios returned immediately.

Maybe that's the keyphase, maybe that's an IB Oro perk? For those asking why go with IB+...
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:25 am

Programs: Executive Club
Iberia's IT is absolutely atrocious. I've been told that they have expedited return Avios for cancelled flights, but it still takes a random amount of time, depending on how busy they are - I get the impression it's a very manual process.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 10:32 am

Programs: IB+ Oro (OWS) / FB / SQ
Originally Posted by JessicaB
Iberia's IT is absolutely atrocious.
Alas, if the BAEC forum is anything to go by, it is an affliction that affects all IAG airlines.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:22 am

I may need to cancel a premium economy award flight booked with Avios points on Level airlines.
I had no idea it could be a complicated procedure.
Can someone recommend where to start? phone number? email? chat?
Also, in order to have my points and taxes refunded, what is the cost per ticket these days and how far in advance do I need to cancel?
thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.