Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt at Olive 8 (Seattle) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt at Olive 8 (Seattle) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2011, 6:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver, Delta Platinum, AA Platinum Pro
One-night stay June 28

This is my second stay at this property having encountered a few minor hiccups the first time out, I wanted to give it another go-around. To summarize: it should be so much better.

Decor and room furnishings are fresh, new, and comfortable, and I was generously upgraded to a very large corner suite room. As others have noted there is tons of wasted space in these rooms on the living room side. HVAC was like a wind tunnel. Had to shut it off to watch TV or else blast the TV volume. Room service came without a glass of water or bread/crackers for soup. Pasta dish I ordered was so packed into a small bowl and used wide noodles that on my first attempt to get some out for a bite, it flung all over me and ruined a shirt. Had to call front desk twice to get connected to the Internet. The only TV station I wanted to watch (CBS) had erratic reception. Shower temp control knob came off on first turn. No FastBoard at front desk and laptop wasn't ready for use, instead prompting numerous Windows upgrade options.

I outlined all of the above in great detail via email (using the quality address on my folio) and also faxed it to the Front Office Manager, but got no response until I Tweeted about the lack of a reply. And what case was a polite, but perfunctory email, particularly considering the volume of items that went wrong and that I had the costs of a ruined shirt to account for as a consequence of my stay.

I really want to be able to count on a great experience at this property as I like the decor, the fitness center is huge, and the restaurant is quite nice. But the inability to manage the basic details of a decent guest experience drag down the friendliness of the staff and the courtesy extended to Diamond members. Unfortunately I've found the same to be true at the Grand Hyatt. Both have fantastic physical assets, but they can't seem to get the guest experience fundamentals right.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:57 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
So the pasta flying out of the bowl onto your shirt is the fault of the staff?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 3:17 am

Programs: Krisflyer (SQ) Gold Membership, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Accor Platinum and Hilton HHonors Gold
I think, the mistake is not severe so in my opinion, you do not deserve any compensation (Do not get me wrong, ok?). In regards to Front Office Manager e-mail, let me know if you still have not get any reply in 1 week.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:36 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Your minor issues do not warrant anything, and the fact that you were proactively upgraded to a corner suite by the staff clearly shows quite the opposite of " inability to manage the basic details of a decent guest experience "
Old Jul 18, 2011, 5:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Was here for many weeks last summer and the FD and managment staff was one of the best I've encountered!
Old Jul 18, 2011, 6:39 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Don't get me wrong but why is it that when somebody posts on FlyerTalk that they have not had a good experience people immediately "jump" on that person and tell them how minor things are, they don't "deserve" compensation, etc.? Not everybody's experiences are the same. I appreciate somebody who hasn't had a great experience posting about it; it provides balance imo.

I am not a fan of the Hyatt8 but I do like the Grand Hyatt and the Hyatt Bellevue.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 4:06 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by ldsant
Don't get me wrong but why is it that when somebody posts on FlyerTalk that they have not had a good experience people immediately "jump" on that person and tell them how minor things are, they don't "deserve" compensation, etc.? Not everybody's experiences are the same. I appreciate somebody who hasn't had a great experience posting about it; it provides balance imo.

I am not a fan of the Hyatt8 but I do like the Grand Hyatt and the Hyatt Bellevue.

I don't think anyone lacks appreciation for those who post less than stellar experiences, but one shouldn't post on FT expecting that everyone will agree with them over the severity of their issue.

The poster seems to be surprised that no one from the hotel responded with an offer of compensation, and the consensus here is that the poster probably shouldn't expect any.

Personally, I'd probably have been more sympathetic had the poster not tried to blame the hotel for the fact that he couldn't manage his own pasta or used the term " inability to manage the basic details of a decent guest experience" to refer to something as trivial as missing crackers from the room service tray.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:35 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by missydarlin
I don't think anyone lacks appreciation for those who post less than stellar experiences, but one shouldn't post on FT expecting that everyone will agree with them over the severity of their issue.

The poster seems to be surprised that no one from the hotel responded with an offer of compensation, and the consensus here is that the poster probably shouldn't expect any.

Personally, I'd probably have been more sympathetic had the poster not tried to blame the hotel for the fact that he couldn't manage his own pasta or used the term " inability to manage the basic details of a decent guest experience" to refer to something as trivial as missing crackers from the room service tray.
I agree with you but I am just questioning why posters are "slammed" when they share a less than positive experience. The OP definitely has expectations that I agree are a bit out of line with reality in many ways but that doesn't mean, imho, that others need to dismiss the experiences.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 7:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ldsant
I agree with you but I am just questioning why posters are "slammed" when they share a less than positive experience. The OP definitely has expectations that I agree are a bit out of line with reality in many ways but that doesn't mean, imho, that others need to dismiss the experiences.
The OP was obviously expecting more than what he received. Terms like "perfunctory" suggest that the OP was disappointed with the reply.

Sorry, but if you complain about trivial things, you deserve perfunctory.

Geez, if I would have complained that I didn't get crackers, or spilled pasta on my shirt because the bowl was too full, or the shower handle fell off, I would expect a ripping rather than an apology.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 8:16 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Ok - people let's keep this thread on topic - reviews of the property - and not reviews of other reviews.

Thanks!!

peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt
Old Jul 31, 2011, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Quick question about this property -- I'll be there in a few weeks for an extended stay. Is there an ethernet plug in the room? And how is WiFi for everyone? Spotty? I have a mini WiFi hub that I take with me, but some hotels don't have an ethernet plug in the room. Working solely off WiFi is fine, but it can get a bit slow if more people are online.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 5:27 pm

the pic in the thread's first post indicates an ethernet port on the desk.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
the pic in the thread's first post indicates an ethernet port on the desk.
Saw that, but it's also labeled as "In"...though I'm not sure what it's communicating "In" to...I would expect it to say out.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 5:16 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Since my stay in 2010, they have downgraded the Diamond Breakfast to being Continental Breakfast only.

Whilst the hotel has given me a high floor (14) the room is not upgraded from what I booked.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 5:23 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by Markie
Since my stay in 2010, they have downgraded the Diamond Breakfast to being Continental Breakfast only.

Whilst the hotel has given me a high floor (14) the room is not upgraded from what I booked.
are you here right now? If so, thanks for bringing the nice weather

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.