Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Washington DC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Grand Hyatt Washington DC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old May 30, 19, 9:38 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium / LTG, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by lighthouse206 View Post

Depends on how you define “nice.” I find even new HH and HP properties to be a far lesser experience than a typical full service Hyatt... but hey that’s just one persons opinion.

HH/HP:
1. Cookie cutter boring/cheap architecture and furnishings.
2. Mediocre (at absolute best) breakfast.
3. Less experienced/least trained staff. Mostly franchises.
4. Minimal fitness centers (at most).
5. Cheap toiletries.
6. No real upgraded rooms or basic/minimal suites.
7. No club.
8. Basically a chain restaurant of a hotel (if you like Olive Garden you probably love HH/HP).

Full Service Hyatt:
1. One of kind architecture with much higher quality everything (even if it's older).
2. Full service restaurant(s) and bars w/higher quality food available.
3. Higher end fitness centers and in many cases spa areas.
4. Typically much more experienced and better trained staff. Mostly corporate-run and NOT franchises.
5. Better locations.
6. Higher quality room levels (views, suites, deluxe rooms, etc.)
7. Nicer higher quality toiletries.

I like Full Service - but maybe I'm just a wierdo.

...just off the top of my head.
I'd agree with you for the most part when comparing generic Hyatt full service vs generic HH/HP, but as others have stated, the DC HH/HPs are actually really nice and I personally prefer them over the Grand Hyatt DC. They are not loved only by "people who eat at the Olive Garden"

Everything is YMMV as usual in travel but:

- Both HH Wharf, Hyatt Place National Mall have huge suites available - I have a 100% upgrade rate at the HP National Mall to 1 bed suites (5x in a row).
- HP White house has a great rooftop bar I prefer over the bar options at Grand Hyatt DC
- I believe HP National mall is new - definitely has a way different feeling than a typical HP. Same with HH Wharf. These are not cookie cutter designs, especially the suites at the HP National Mall.
- I prefer the HP White house locations when having meetings on K street... and enjoy HP National mall's proximity to Georgetown and HH Wharf's location... I love spending time in the Wharf area

I would agree with you on breakfast to a point - generally HH/HP breakfasts aren't as good as full service places, but I've found the Grand Hyatt club in DC so crowded for it's relatively small size, that I've more than once been unable to get a place to sit and just end up skipping breakfast there. I've waited on lines at the HP National Mall, but at least the main area is huge to eat + has a great outdoor deck to enjoy.

And of course, I prefer the Park Hyatt DC over all the other options, but that would be too off topic.

And also, I still prefer the Grand Hyatt DC over other non Hyatt DC options and over the Hyatt options in Crystal City / Arlington solely due to the location.