Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Washington DC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
As of February 2024:

Closest open entrance from the hotel to the Metro Center Station is 11th & G Streets.

Active construction (jackhammers and loud banging) on the 12th and 11th floors. Hotel Is booking rooms directly under the construction zone!

Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Washington DC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by lighthouse206

Depends on how you define “nice.” I find even new HH and HP properties to be a far lesser experience than a typical full service Hyatt... but hey that’s just one persons opinion.

HH/HP:
1. Cookie cutter boring/cheap architecture and furnishings.
2. Mediocre (at absolute best) breakfast.
3. Less experienced/least trained staff. Mostly franchises.
4. Minimal fitness centers (at most).
5. Cheap toiletries.
6. No real upgraded rooms or basic/minimal suites.
7. No club.
8. Basically a chain restaurant of a hotel (if you like Olive Garden you probably love HH/HP).

Full Service Hyatt:
1. One of kind architecture with much higher quality everything (even if it's older).
2. Full service restaurant(s) and bars w/higher quality food available.
3. Higher end fitness centers and in many cases spa areas.
4. Typically much more experienced and better trained staff. Mostly corporate-run and NOT franchises.
5. Better locations.
6. Higher quality room levels (views, suites, deluxe rooms, etc.)
7. Nicer higher quality toiletries.

I like Full Service - but maybe I'm just a wierdo.

...just off the top of my head.
I'd agree with you for the most part when comparing generic Hyatt full service vs generic HH/HP, but as others have stated, the DC HH/HPs are actually really nice and I personally prefer them over the Grand Hyatt DC. They are not loved only by "people who eat at the Olive Garden"

Everything is YMMV as usual in travel but:

- Both HH Wharf, Hyatt Place National Mall have huge suites available - I have a 100% upgrade rate at the HP National Mall to 1 bed suites (5x in a row).
- HP White house has a great rooftop bar I prefer over the bar options at Grand Hyatt DC
- I believe HP National mall is new - definitely has a way different feeling than a typical HP. Same with HH Wharf. These are not cookie cutter designs, especially the suites at the HP National Mall.
- I prefer the HP White house locations when having meetings on K street... and enjoy HP National mall's proximity to Georgetown and HH Wharf's location... I love spending time in the Wharf area

I would agree with you on breakfast to a point - generally HH/HP breakfasts aren't as good as full service places, but I've found the Grand Hyatt club in DC so crowded for it's relatively small size, that I've more than once been unable to get a place to sit and just end up skipping breakfast there. I've waited on lines at the HP National Mall, but at least the main area is huge to eat + has a great outdoor deck to enjoy.

And of course, I prefer the Park Hyatt DC over all the other options, but that would be too off topic.

And also, I still prefer the Grand Hyatt DC over other non Hyatt DC options and over the Hyatt options in Crystal City / Arlington solely due to the location.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:38 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
So now that this nonsense has been in place for a couple months, have people found that they're proactive about honoring no-fee reservations that predate the resort fee or do you have to fight them on it?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:44 pm

Recent data point (Globalist):

1. Destination fee removed without asking at check out.
2. The cafe bistro or whatever is under renovation. Breakfast is at the Cabinet (at the level below the lobby)
3. Globalist breakfast does NOT include the restaurant

To be more specific on number 3 - at check in (which was a bit of a unique case, but not that unique), I specifically asked where breakfast was. The agent responded that it would be in the restaurant - as they just made my room keys, I assumed they had looked at the computer and actually saw my status. In hindsight, there was no mention of any status or loyalty in our conversation.

Check out agent thanked me for being Globalist, removed the destination fees, and mentioned that the only charges were for room and breakfast. After mentioning the conversation with the check in agent, the breakfast charges were dropped.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by tearex
Recent data point (Globalist):

1. Destination fee removed without asking at check out.
2. The cafe bistro or whatever is under renovation. Breakfast is at the Cabinet (at the level below the lobby)
3. Globalist breakfast does NOT include the restaurant

To be more specific on number 3 - at check in (which was a bit of a unique case, but not that unique), I specifically asked where breakfast was. The agent responded that it would be in the restaurant - as they just made my room keys, I assumed they had looked at the computer and actually saw my status. In hindsight, there was no mention of any status or loyalty in our conversation.

Check out agent thanked me for being Globalist, removed the destination fees, and mentioned that the only charges were for room and breakfast. After mentioning the conversation with the check in agent, the breakfast charges were dropped.
Why didn’t you eat in the lounge?

Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:01 pm

It was my first time visiting this property. I assume the lounge is on the 12th floor, but I didn't make time to check it out. I asked "where is breakfast" and was supplied "restaurant downstairs".

If free, given the choice between lounge and restaurant, I'd choose restaurant. Especially with the previous reports about crowding in the lounge and the Dec '18 report that restaurant breakfast was ok.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by tearex
It was my first time visiting this property. I assume the lounge is on the 12th floor, but I didn't make time to check it out. I asked "where is breakfast" and was supplied "restaurant downstairs".

If free, given the choice between lounge and restaurant, I'd choose restaurant. Especially with the previous reports about crowding in the lounge and the Dec '18 report that restaurant breakfast was ok.
Truly wish you’d read AND follow the World of Hyatt Terms and Conditions. It’s a simple and easy read.

Some hotels go above and beyond the Terms and that’s their right - but in this case you knew they had a club (because you read the reviews here), and as an experienced Hyatt Globalist you should have followed the terms and dined there or simply choose Hyatt’s without a lounge.

Last edited by txhyattlvr; Aug 18, 2019 at 5:28 pm
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:36 pm

Truly wish you’d read AND follow the World of Hyatt Terms and Conditions. It’s a simple and easy read.

Some hotels go above and beyond the Terms and that’s their right - but in this case you knew they had a club (because you read the reviews here), and as an experienced Hyatt Globalist you should have followed the terms and dined there (rather than taking advantage of a lowly paid front desk agent to excuse your behavior..)
I'm not really sure why you think I'm taking advantage of anyone here or that any behavior needed excuse - as you mentioned, other hotels go above and beyond their terms and I was under the impression that it was the same at this property based on a previous report and did not see other reports to the contrary. I'm posting a data point so others don't make the same mistake as I did.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:41 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

Beyond the reason given if you've seen this lounge you can understand why. It's tiny, tends to be crowded easily and has very limited food options.
Biggie Fries likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 7:23 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Staying at GH DC now. I do not understand all the negativity about it.

This is a city center business hotel, not the resort like GH Bahamas or GH Kauai. Do not expect the same level of service. Also, it is a Cat-4 or 15,000 hotel. Do not compare it to the high level PH or GH.

The hotel is sold out today. But still scored an Executive suite facing the atrium. I do not hear any noise. There are only 4 suites on most of the floors other than the top 12th floor.

Most of the details of the recent reviews are accurate. It is not perfect. But you get what you paid for....

Last edited by RedSun; Nov 7, 2019 at 7:47 pm
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by RedSun

This is a city center business hotel, not the resort like GH Bahamas or GH Kauai. Do not expect the same level of service. Also, it is a Cat-4 or 15,000 hotel. Do not compare it to the high level PH or GH.

The hotel is sold out today. But still scored an Executive suite facing the atrium. I do not hear any noise. There are only 4 suites on most of the floors other than the top 12th floor.

Most of the details of the recent reviews are accurate. It is not perfect. But you get what you paid for....
Write again after you've been to the club for breakfast.

But, yeah, the cash prices can make up for some of the other stuff.
dpb132 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 6:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Write again after you've been to the club for breakfast.

But, yeah, the cash prices can make up for some of the other stuff.
I probably would not get a chance to try it. Thankfully.

Probably want to try other Hyatt next time. Was at GH DC many years ago and it clearly shows its age....
Old Nov 9, 2019, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Just like to share my recent experience at GH Washington. It was a good experience. We'll go back again next time we visit DC.

GH Washington DC - Still Very Good
Old Nov 15, 2019, 6:17 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RedSun

I can think of a few reasons for the negativity. For one, the scam of an urban destination fee. Any hotel no matter how good or how well located that adds on one of those fees or a resort fee is going to leave a sour taste in people's mouths. That and the lounge here is pretty bad.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CMK10
I can think of a few reasons for the negativity. For one, the scam of an urban destination fee. Any hotel no matter how good or how well located that adds on one of those fees or a resort fee is going to leave a sour taste in people's mouths. That and the lounge here is pretty bad.
Well, then I suspect there are going to be a lot of folks with sour tastes in their mouth, because this trend is doing nothing but expanding, and rapidly, so unless folks want to stay at lower end hotel these fees are just going to be a fact of life.

Regards
Old Nov 15, 2019, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CMK10
For Globe, no hotel fees (destination or resort) and no cost on parking with reward nights. No complaints on that.

As for the lounge, it is not a resort. Do not expect the Grand Club like in Asian countries, Kauai or even Bahamas. It is still better than the properties that do not even get a club lounge.

It is still better than most of the Hilton club lounges I've been to.

A lot people complained about the noise on the atrium side. I did not hear anything and I'm sensitive to night noise. Maybe I just had some lucky days?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.