Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Expert Hotel Reviews
Reload this Page >

GH Washington DC - Still Very Good

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2019, 7:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Grand Hyatt Washington

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Grand Hyatt Washington

1000 H Street NW Washington, DC US 20001

GH Washington DC - Still Very Good (28 Photos)

Grand Hyatt Washington

I stayed there more than 10 years ago.  Had good impression.

Before my trip this time, I read the FT board of the mixed reviews.  But since this is still at good location and it has Club access, I decided to take a chance.  Now I felt relieved that it was a good stay.  Happy with the decision.

The regular rate is like $500 for weekdays and about $200 over weekend.  Sometimes you can score like $100 with AAA rate over weekend.  GH has started to check AAA ID to verify the rate discount.

For my stay, it was one weekday and one weekdays.  So the average cash rate is about $350.  If you add $61 valet parking, $20 destination fee and all the taxes, it can easily come to $450 per night.  

GH is Hyatt category 4 hotel and commands 15,000 Hyatt points.  The best thing is that we can redeem the credit card and other award nights.  This is what I did.  The point value is about 3 cpps.  Happy about it.

Do your math when you can book cheaper weekend rates.

Check In

We drove to the hotel.  The hotel recently changed the valet parking company and we were happy with the valet service.  The valet was closed to outside, but still available to hotel guests.  The valet is $61 for 24 hours.

The check-in line was not very busy.  There was a section for WoH members.  My WoH status was recognized at check-in.

Since the stay was on award nights, I could not use my suite upgrade certificate.  I requested room upgrade and we were upgraded to its "executive suite" on the lower floor.  The hotel was full for that day.  The suite was not ready because the current guest requested late check-out.  They took my cell phone number and said they would call us when the room is ready.  We stored our luggage with the bell staff.  

We requested access to club lounge access and keys were provided.  We got some snacks and coffee and water and headed out.

We has a couple other requests at check-in.  They were met and taken care of.  Happy with the check-in.

IMG_7398.JPG

IMG_7358.JPG

IMG_7361.JPG

IMG_7359.JPG

IMG_7360.JPG

Room

At about 3:30PM, I received text message stating that our room was ready.  The previous guest must have had some WoH status for the late check-out. 

The Executive suite is a corner unit on the atrium side.  The hotel has 12 guest floors and 4 underground levels.  The top 12th floor is the Grand Club and some club room/suites.  Each lower level has either 2 or 4 suites, all on the atrium side.  

The suite is very spacious.  There is living area and dining area.  Ther is also a sleeper sofa.  But there is only one bathroom inside the bedroom area.  It would be perfect is there is another bathroom in common area.

Entry:

IMG_7383.JPG

Sofa bed

IMG_7387.JPG

Work area and TV:

IMG_7386.JPG

Dining area:

IMG_7381.JPG

Bar or coffee area:

IMG_7382.JPG

Bedroom TV:

IMG_7380.JPG

Bedroom bath:

IMG_7379.JPG

IMG_7378.JPG

Bedroom:

IMG_7377.JPG

IMG_7376.JPG

As an old design hotel, its bathroom is small and not at today's new standard.  The bath tub drains very slowly.  We called service desk, but it did not improve the 2nd day.

Overall, the room is somehow outdated.  But we like the space of the suite offered.  It can easily accomodate 4 people.

Service

The service was mixed.  The check-in experience was good.  We called front desk several times for various reasons.  Sometimes the waiting time was very long.  

Valet, bell staff and room service was good.

We called service desk for bathroom slow drain.  It did not improve.  We did not know if it was repaired.

The dining service was good.  No complaints.

Dining

We had breakfast at the Cabinet restaurant.  The price is $26 for full buffet breakfast.  Child 12 and younger half price.

The breakfast was decent or good.  It serves full breakfast.  It opens to 11AM during weekdays and to 1PM during weekend.  It was not very crowded during our stay.

IMG_7403.JPG

Hot food area:

IMG_7404.JPG

Omelet and second hot food area:

IMG_7405.JPG

Pastry area:

IMG_7406.JPG

Cold plate area:

IMG_7409.JPG

My breakfast.  I enjoyed the roasted apple:

IMG_7408.JPG

There is also the Cure bar and bistro.  We did not try.

IMG_7412.JPG

The hotel is located at 10th Street and H Street and occupies more than half city block.  It is about 10-15 minutes walk to National Mall.  It is also about 10 minutes walk to Chinatown.  If you come to visit the museums, you can't beat its location.

Overall

The FT reviews on GH Washington were mixed.  My personal experience is positive.  We'll stay there again if we visit National Mall area next time.

The location is just superb.  All the major attractions are within walking distance.  We wish we had more time to explore all the museums, memorials etc.

As Hyatt category 4 and open to credit card award night and several other Hyatt promotional nights, GH Washington is at the top of my list.

The hotel clearly shows its age.  Some of the hardware needs renovation.  In particular the bathroom needs some serious work.  

The Grand Club is small and fares were limited.  But to us, it was adequate.  It is better than hotels without club lounge.

For Hyatt Globalist, GH Washington is a wonderful stay.  The redemption value is superb.  We'll definitely stay there again next time when we visit Washington DC.

Grand Club

Most of the complaints I heard before my trip is on the Grand Club.

I agree that the Grand Club, or the club lounge is small.  But remember that this is a city center business hotel.  It is not a resort hotel for vacation travelers.  

The club lounge is relatively small and can get crowded sometimes.  But duirng our stay, we could always find a table.  The space was tight.

There is only one serving area.  The food was relatively simple. But it was enough for people to skip the dinner if they want to.

Alcohol drinks are not free.  The price is not cheap.

IMG_7372.JPG

IMG_7373.JPG

Day time snack and drink:

IMG_7369.JPG

IMG_7370.JPG

Evening Hors d'oeuvres time:

IMG_7391.JPG

IMG_7392.JPG

We did not have the club breakfast.  So I can't share the experience.  

Would you like to write a review on the Grand Hyatt Washington?

No, thank you.
Yes
ralphs likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.