Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Washington DC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
As of February 2024:

Closest open entrance from the hotel to the Metro Center Station is 11th & G Streets.

Active construction (jackhammers and loud banging) on the 12th and 11th floors. Hotel Is booking rooms directly under the construction zone!

Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Washington DC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:27 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Everything on your list is either along the National Mall or a short walk off of it, so if you're all in decent walking shape you can just walk right down there and hit all of those. An all day Metro pass is $9 and if you're over 5 you need one, so you might be better off with an individual ticket or two if you want to get back to your hotel from Union Station, for instance, which is across from the Capitol building (there's a food court in the basement that would work out well with kids). You'd also need a Metro ticket if you're going over to Arlington Cemetery or the Marine Memorial as they are certainly not within walking distance. I have plenty of DC photos HERE and will be back myself on Labor Day weekend.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 6:12 am

Programs: CO Pres. Plat, SPG
I'm staying here for the first time.. This property is connected to my company's DC office, and was listed as the recommended property. I'm typically a Starwood guy, so I have no status with Hyatt. Our company does have a package with the hotel that grants us some benefits (breakfast, internet - not upgrades, though).

I arrived in the late afternoon by cab. I was completely ignored at the entrance. Nobody tried to grab my bag or open a door or greet me. I found the front desk, which was staffed by two people, and waited as they worked through a line of about 4 people.

I was assigned room 601, which is between an ice machine and elevator, with a view of the atrium. I thought it would be noisy, but it is not. The room has a funky, semi-triangular shape that I like. The atrium view may be better than the "big dig" view of the construction outside. There is a connecting door to what I assume is a similar room around the corner.

Once I unpacked in my room, I needed to find a barber, so I called the concierge. I received no answer. I went outside to try and find the one listed on Google as being two blocks over, but never found it.

The AC, as one poster mentioned, seems to be stuck on high. I adjusted the fan speed to auto and increased the temperature setting, but it never came back on, even though it got warm. So, I ended up setting it back to a low temperature and it ran constantly. It is a bit noisy.

I am disappointed that the room furnishings seem to be in poor shape. The desk has giant spots and scratches, the power outlet on the desk does not work and the one in the wall sparks and arcs when you try to use it. The TV remote is almost nonresponsive. The two phones are located on the far side of the room - there isn't one near the desk.

In the bathroom I noticed a small sign indicating that sheets and towels will not be changed unless you *call* the front desk. Perhaps it's me, but I like having my sheets and towels changed, especially when I'm paying several hundred dollars a night for a room, and don't want people to pass their cost-saving measures off as "for the environment". I found the "call us" system particularly annoying - much more so than properties that have a card you must place on the bed.

I signed up for the high speed internet option ($15/day), but could not get ore than 200k up or down. I talked to support and they insisted I needed to set my wireless card to be more aggressive at roaming, and to lock it to 802.11b. Even after doing that, things were still very slow. Because of the slow speed, I gave up and just tethered my cell phone.

Overall, the property is adequate, but certainly not special. It is showing its age. Even the location advantage for working at this office is negated by the fact that there is a subway station downstairs. There are plenty of nice properties along the subway with quick access to the office.

Last edited by marklyon; Jul 21, 2011 at 6:20 am
Old Jan 10, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: SPG*P, AA*1MM, UA*1P, Hilton*D, Hyatt*D, Sixt*P, Hertz*P, Avis*F, Delta*G
I had a nice upgrade to 1 bed Grand suite with a construction view.
However, I will never ever stay here again...........

1) call the hotel a couple of days ago to reserve a parking. upon arrival, no parking...FA was very sorry and promised 2000 pts but until today never posted....

2) confirmed a crib through concierge. upon requested, no crib available. MOD had a very bad attitude until he found out i am diamond member.
I had to call to get a crib the next day again.

3) children were playing in the living room and found two disgusting items.
- Used condom......yes...OMG
- empty beer can

4) requested turndown service, never happen

5) after the first night, no more Mug and cups

6) refrigerator door was broken.

I spoke with a MOD before i checked out and told him i left the beer can in the room and 'Used condom' next to the vending machine.......
after 30min, i got a call from housekeeping MOD and had been told she will give me some points and send me an email. Never receive an email.
Although she took one night off from the bill.

I am still pixxed.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:33 am

Some people would gladly exchange a used condom and empty beer can for a free night. Just kidding.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Finished up a week long stay at the GH Washington DC. Overall, a good stay, but definitely some ups and downs.

The hotel was 100% booked, due mainly to the AIPAC convention as well as some dance competition nearby (so many, many young girls running around everywhere for 2 days). I felt like the hotel was a bit short staffed.

At check-in, we were told that no upgrade (Diamond) could be given because the hotel was 100% full. No problem, I understand that. So we got our two rooms on the 11th floor, with Grand Room privileges and free internet for both.

Grand room was mediocre at best. Utterly packed in the mornings and evenings... which I understand due to the overall jammed status of the hotel. But the offerings were MEH at best, and frequently they were running out of oranges, yogurt, etc. Not the greatest selection of items either, as afternoon and evening selections were very meager.

Our room and the hotel itself were nice. Perfectly adequate decor, condition of furniture, bathroom, etc. No major issues in any of that. Service left a bit to be desired, as we requested a couple of items from housekeeping which took 30+ minutes, each time, for delivery. If they had told us it would take so long, I would have gone downstairs and picked them up.

Location was great, since we were attending AIPAC which was only 3 blocks away at the convention center, plus the metro station within the hotel made accessing the rest of the city super easy and a lot cheaper than using taxi everywhere.

My overall summary is that its a decent hotel, nothing special. If you want to be close to the convention center or a hotel with easy access to the metro, this is a great choice. But next time I'm in town, I plan to check out the Park Hyatt instead.
Old May 28, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Staying here now. Check-in was fast and friendly. I am staying one night paid and two nights on free credits. Was able to use suite upgrade which I was originally told would only be available on the paid night. At check-in, I was given a Grand Uite on the Fourth floor facing the construction for all three nights.

I also asked at check-in if I could do breakfast in the restaurant instead of the lounge. I was told yes but am thinking that they do not really like to di this based on the reaction.

My only complaint about this hotel would be the Grand Club. It is entirely too small, and it appears that the hotel's own policy is not enforced. On their invitation letter, it specifically states that entry is based on two occupants per room and that others may be added for $30 a day. There is ni one checking this at the club and huge families stream in on a frequent basis.

I will preface this next part by saying that I do not have an issue with well behaved children in the club..... There was one particular family whom decided the club was their living room. Kids jumping on furniture, talking loudly, playing on the computers, running around wrecklessly, etc. the parents did little to make the situation better, and even added to it by deciding they would have rheir pizza party in the club, ordering local delivery. When the concierge announced that the club closed at 10, the family proceeds to take the newly replinished plates from the breakfast setup, napkins, and such for their dinner. The real fun started when they also began hauling the chairs from the club out to the elevator lobby where they decided to setup shop.

The concierge seemed disapproving, but Mr. DYKWIA insisted there were 10 of them and only 8 chairs in the elevator lobby. I may have looked at things differently had he first asked for the extra things, but to just take and assume he was in the right.... And then give attitude when questioned...

I just often wonder what people are thinking. Are.they so entitled?

Another guy brought his entire extended family into the club. As I was ordering a beer, the attendant was in the process of putting away the lox for breakfast. He questioned her on where she was taking the salmon. We both responded it was for breakfast. He said that his family liked to eat it for dinner as well. Mind you this is during the end of the dessert hours, apps were gone hours ago. He becamed irritated and took his entire family back out.

Are people this cheap that they think the club is a restaurant?

I know that answer.....

Otherwise, a pretty nice stay so far.
Old May 28, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Platinum, Packer Owner
I also just finished a stay this past weekend. Poster is correct on comments re: the Grand Club. I also used a Diamond suite upgrade, and had a Grand Suite on the 11th Floor, just a terrific suite.

One additional comment. When I arrived in the hotel vicinity on Friday afternoon, 10th street (where the self-parking is located) was closed, causing a true fiasco. The front area for valet was jammed. I tried calling the hotel, and was put on hold six different times, never got a real person to ask about parking. I fended for myself, and found an outdoor self-parking lot across from the Reniassance about 3 blocks away ($24 per night, cash only). I remarked on this situation while checking out yesterday--I received an apology and was offered 5000 Gold Passport points for my troubles. They've already been posted this morning!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:42 pm

Has anybody stayed here since they started the renovation? Is it noisy? Do they have some rooms already renovated?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 3:46 pm

No one has stayed here since the renovation started?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 7:48 am

One Night Stay 12/18/12

I was just here on the night of 12/18. The renovations appear to be happening from the top floors down, and it appears they have renovated the top 3 or 4 floors. I was given a room on the 11th floor (I think there are 12 total). From the atrium, it appeared they were currently working on the next two floors down as there were black tarps covering the balcony between the elevators on those floors.

The Grand Club was under construction and was closed, but I wasn't planning on using it and they, without asking, gave me 2500 points and free breakfast in the Grand Cafe to compensate. In fact, my 6-top all got free brekfast with a flash of my Diamond card. They aslo gave me a card that had a photo of a newly renovated room on the obverse and an offer to redeem the card for a night of free internet, a free movie, or a free drink at the "Crave" bar on the reverse.

I never heard any construction noise, but was only in the hotel from from about 5:00 PM to 8:00 AM the next day.

The newly renovated room (1168) was an exterior room overlooking an office building to the east. I've never been to the GH here so I can't compare it to the old rooms, but it was very nice. What caught my eye immediately was the back-lit headboard (the button to turn the light off is small and blends in with the headboard, took a while to find in the otherwise dark room) which had two flexible LED reading lights, and two outlets on eather side of the front of the head board. This meant not having to reach behind the nightstand and unplug a lamp to plug in the chargers. The TV was flat panel (maybe 37") and had a good HD picture. The Desk/Dresser/TV stand is all one L shaped unit. Near the desk are a host outlets and I/O ports which I assume go to the TV like the Hyatt Place TV units. I didn't try to use it but it had HDMI in and whatnot. The desk part was oval shaped glass. Didn't find a pen in the room when I needed one.

The elevators/ice machine/vending machines are located on one end of the hotel. While this makes it inconvenient to have a room on the opposite end, it probably does cut down on the number of rooms that could be affected by their noise.

The "Crave" bar connected to the lobby was great with help-yourself house made potato chips, cheese, and bread. The Breakfast in the Grand Club in the morning had an excellent buffet and omelet bar.

Last edited by DHartwell; Dec 21, 2012 at 8:02 am
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by DHartwell
The Grand Club was under construction and was closed, but I wasn't planning on using it and they, without asking, gave me 2500 points and free breakfast in the Grand Cafe to compensate. In fact, my 6-top all got free brekfast with a flash of my Diamond card. They aslo gave me a card that had a photo of a newly renovated room on the obverse and an offer to redeem the card for a night of free internet, a free movie, or a free drink at the "Crave" bar on the reverse.
Any idea if the Grand Club here is still closed? I'm doing a run for Diamond status in the DC area and the standard 2500 point bonus for club closure would make a stop at this location very appealing.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Are you looking for weekday or weekend?

One of the NoVA Hyatts closes theirs on weekends and is super cheap
Old Jan 24, 2013, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by etsmyers
Are you looking for weekday or weekend? One of the NoVA Hyatts closes theirs on weekends and is super cheap
Weekend is definitely easier for me. Which of the NOVA Hyatts has the reliably closed lounge?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
What kind of sleeping arrangements does the Grand Suite have?
Old Mar 24, 2013, 4:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium,Delta LT Sky Club,Hertz Presidential Circle
Currently staying at the GH WDC. They have temporarily relocated the Grand Club to the Gazebo area of the Grand Cafe. It is very small....only 6 tables and a couch. Due to the limited size, they are telling the Grand Club guests that it is OK to take items to their room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.